"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chilli Con Carni problems

Hi,
I put together a ccc today with
mincemeat, two teaspoons chilli power,
tin of chilli beans in chilli sauce
2 teaspoons cornflower etc onions etc

it was OK but it did nt have that umph, that strong,
... burning... chilli taste.

was there something else I sh have done ?
some special chilli sauce or something,
maybe the chilli powder was nt up to it

thanks for any tips
Tim

Old 10-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Head Chef

cornflower?
by mincemeat, do you mean ground beef?
I also use cumin in my chili. How old is your chili powder? Sometimes I also put in chili flakes or ground red pepper (hot). Chili powder is usually a blend of other spices, not just chilies. I like to serve fresh diced onion and jalapenos with my chili.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

minced beef in fact (not the christmas mincemeat )

maybe the chilli powder I used was inferior ...
maybe I should have got a sachet of chilli
for casserole... I dont know
Maybe there's a jar of chilli sauce somewhere
...( just like we buy curry sauce in a jar... then add meat .onions and casserole ! )
I just need a bit more umph in the end result !

the cornflower was just to thicken the end result.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

In addition to chili powder, I add a splash or two of Louisiana Hot Sauce (or Tabasco Sauce) and just a light dash of cayenne pepper.

Chili Con Carne literally means, "Chili with meat" and Texans consider it a crime to add beans to "con carne" which has been transformed into meaning, "without beans." Only using the term "chili" means with beans. - Just a bit of interesting regional cultural linguistic oddity.

Personally, chili of any kind or name is good to me! Good luck with yours!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I Made a chilli yesterday and it was the best one Ive have made

I used oxo beef stock, chiili powder, a little scotch bonnet chilli sauce, I also added a yellow pepper which i let cook down until i had almost disappeared. also i used a little soy sauce, some oregano and bay leaves
Old 10-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Senior Cook

You can make a great (and in my opinion, superior) chili without using seasoning packets or pre-seasoned beans. You just need to use quality spices and more of them! In addition to chili powder, I use fresh onion and garlic, ground cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne, sometimes a pinch of chipotle powder, and salt. I also use tomatoes as a base, but that definitely varies by region. To give you an idea of spice quantities, I use a pound of ground beef, several cups of beans (as measured cooked - a few cans of unflavored, drained, and rinsed beans would be the equivalent), and I use 2 tablespoons of chili powder (which is 6 teaspoons) along with other spices.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Dried chilies are cheap and easy to prepare and can give you a variety of chili powder flavors, most with more of that slow burn that chili powder is supposed to have. I use a combination of ancho and chipotle peppers. For a single pepper, New Mexican would work. All it takes is to chop up the dried pepper, remove the seeds and grind it in a coffee/spice grinder. The result is much, much better quality spice.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Head Chef

I agree, I like using a variety of dried chilies, paprika, and cumin to make my own "chili powder." Using a variety gives a depth of flavor, hitting a variety of places in the mouth, creating different levels of heat.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I know real texans would cringe at my "Chili con Carne" recipe but what I do is: saute half chopped onion and 2 garlic cloves in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, add 1 can of Rotel tomatoes and cook for a few minutes, add 2 large cans on beans in chili sauce, 1 1/2 pounds of cooked ground beef, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 tablespoon of paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 teaspoon of oregano, salt to taste. You may add some beef broth if you like thinner but if you like it thicker add 1 to 2 teaspoons of masa. Another thing I sometimes add is 1 or 2 chopped chipotle peppers, it adds heat and a smoked flavor (those come in cans), treat it as you would any other peppers, remove the seeds to minimize the heat. Hope you try, I always serve it with freshly baked corn bread (or Fritos :)
Old 10-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Head Chef

I found that using smoked paprika gives a great flavor, too.

Tags
None