"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #41
Head Chef

These are the things that make good cooks great! I love this idea and I'll try it! Had me hooked at the "layer of flavors" BOY does that make sense to me!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
but at least you know what CINC, you tried, that's all you can do, no one is saying it's the perfect way to do chili, but you tried it, didn't like it, and so on. I give you props for trying it.
On a completely off note I have to say I FLOVE your signature line.

I did try. I didn't like but I tried. That's what's important to try.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #43
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I have to say, I added the chocolate to my last batch and didn't love it. Okay, I hated this batch. Normally it would be gone by now and it's not. I just didn't enjoy adding chocolate to my chili. Won't be doing it again for sure.

How much chocolate did you put in? IMO chocolate is meant to be a secret ingredient. Just enough to add depth to the flavor, not enough to detect it. I live in Cincy, most of the Cincinnati Chili recipes out there call for way too much chocolate and cinnamon to be considered authentic.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
On a completely off note I have to say I FLOVE your signature line. I did try. I didn't like but I tried. That's what's important to try.
auh, thanks, very kind of you. funny I just read this now, I was just thinking I cry enough for all of us here. it's the Leo in me, my way of roaring I suppose. I bet I teared up 7 times already today. I asked my husband if he's uncomfortable by my tears, he said no it makes me me. very emotional girl here, but I would hate to flood or overflow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace View Post
How much chocolate did you put in? IMO chocolate is meant to be a secret ingredient. Just enough to add depth to the flavor, not enough to detect it. I live in Cincy, most of the Cincinnati Chili recipes out there call for way too much chocolate and cinnamon to be considered authentic.
You may be right there, about them using or calling for too much of a good thing. Too much of a good thing 'isn't'. Start slow, just a small bit of chocolate which is why I used to start with hershey's kisses, add one at a time, I've overdone the choco and it was too much and therefore awful.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #45
Sous Chef

[quote=LEFSElover;689326]auh, thanks, very kind of you. funny I just read this now, I was just thinking I cry enough for all of us here. it's the Leo in me, my way of roaring I suppose. I bet I teared up 7 times already today. I asked my husband if he's uncomfortable by my tears, he said no it makes me me. very emotional girl here, but I would hate to flood or overflow

Oh, don't be too sure. I've always felt I was the biggest crybaby around town!

Sorry that quote thing is all messed up. I don't think I know what I'm doin'
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace View Post
Oh, don't be too sure. I've always felt I was the biggest crybaby around town!
Sorry that quote thing is all messed up. I don't think I know what I'm doin'
They aren't usually tears of woe, that's the good news.
About your quote thing, it's easy, just go to that post you want to quote, hit the quote button on the bottom right of that post instead of the reply button, it'll bring up a new window, you'll see the thing you're quoting, and then add your comment under where it comes up like a regular post, if you want to make sure it worked, click preview instead of submit....make sure it worked, then hit submit

Tags
None