Cincinnati Chili Consistency Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
After coming across the mention of Cincinnati Chili on another thread, I decided to give it a go.

The Ingredients are basic enough, so putting it together is no problem at all.

My only question is the final consistency of the chili ( prior to placing it over the spaghetti).

I notice ( at least from the several recipes Ive seen), that a decent amount of liquid is placed initially. But it then cooks for awhile too.

I've also read some reviews from native Ohioans, on multiple recipes,about the consistency ( that it should be more soupy).

So my question goes out to all those Native Ohioans out there. What is the desired consistency of Cincinnati Chili ?

Not a native but from what I've seen on TV, it's more of a sauce. Loose enough to ladle over the pasta or onto a hot dog.

I'm not a native either but went to college near Cincinnati and have had lots of chili.

The consistency of the Cincinnati chili that I've had is looser than most other chilis but not as loose as Coney sauce.

Its most distinguished by it's unique taste and the "ways" that it is served.

I'm not a native, but have had this dish in Cincinnati, and it is popular in Greek restaurants in Virginia as "Greek spaghetti" and a place called The Hard Times Café in the DC area. It seems to be a matter of choice. Restaurants often sell something called "wet" which is more soup-y (often simply with more of the fat from the ground beef), other's more "dry". It seems to be a matter of choice. I make it every year for my big Christmas party, and I like it about the consistency of a nice Texas chili. My recipe calls for tomato paste, vinegar (only a tablespoon or so) and ... water (I tend to prefer to use beef stock). I just add it until I like the thickness.

Whatever you do, don't use the leanest cut of ground beef. it just doesn't taste right. For me, ground chuck, I think I get 80/20 -- or is it 85/15 -- for the most flavor.

I'm not a native either but went to college near Cincinnati and have had lots of chili.

The consistency of the Cincinnati chili that I've had is looser than most other chilis but not as loose as Coney sauce.

Its most distinguished by it's unique taste and the "ways" that it is served.

OK, jennyema, this was started by a similar question. What is a Coney sauce?

OK, jennyema, this was started by a similar question. What is a Coney sauce?

Coney sauce is a chili-like meat sauce which is put on hot dogs.

Its mostly a Michigan thing and the "right" way to make Coney sauce is a topic of much debate :chef:

Ive been told (and eaten) that a "coney dog" has a thinner meat sauce and a "chili dog" has thicker sauce but I have no idea what is most authentic.

Back
Top Bottom