"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 12-14-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
Head Chef

Coney Island Chili

It's close, but still not quite 'it'. I'll confess to usually just running to the local coney joint when I need a fix...

Got this from a friend in Los Angeles, not sure how he got it.

AMERICAN CONEY'S CHILI SAUCE

2 tbsp. butter
1.5 lbs. lean ground beef - raw
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. prepared reg. mustard
1 (6 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can water

Combine everything and simmer until thick. Stir. Cook 15 minutes more. DO NOT BROWN THE GROUND BEEF FIRST.

Now, I will say, to me, coney chili has to have cumin, so I add that too (maybe a teaspoon? I usually just add until it tastes right).

Use this to top hot dogs (snappy dogs are best), french fries, hash browns, or omlettes. Or, add cooked kidney beans and serve in a bowl with onions and oyster crackers.

And remember, if you need a beverage with this, it's "No Coke! Pepsi!"

John

Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Thanks John! Sounds great.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
Head Chef

O this is making me think I want a hot dog now. sounds like a great sauce.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
It's close, but still not quite 'it'. I'll confess to usually just running to the local coney joint when I need a fix...

Got this from a friend in Los Angeles, not sure how he got it.

AMERICAN CONEY'S CHILI SAUCE

2 tbsp. butter
1.5 lbs. lean ground beef - raw
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. prepared reg. mustard
1 (6 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can water

Combine everything and simmer until thick. Stir. Cook 15 minutes more. DO NOT BROWN THE GROUND BEEF FIRST.

Now, I will say, to me, coney chili has to have cumin, so I add that too (maybe a teaspoon? I usually just add until it tastes right).

Use this to top hot dogs (snappy dogs are best), french fries, hash browns, or omlettes. Or, add cooked kidney beans and serve in a bowl with onions and oyster crackers.

And remember, if you need a beverage with this, it's "No Coke! Pepsi!"

John
Thanks for posting this recipe, ronjohn. Hope it turns out like I remembered it as a child at Nathan's in Brooklyn New Yawk.

And remember - cheeberger, cheeberger, fries.

P.S. If I top a boiga with it, will I have a Los Angeles Tommy's burger? j/k
Old 12-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I love chili.
Thanks for posting!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
whow... I spent some time in north eastern Pennsylvania once and ever since I always thought Coney Island Texas wieners were their local specialty, never knew they were also eaten in Detroit, too!!
I usually don't care much for chili dogs but I really liked this one, and not long ago was wondering if there was a recipe exist. Thanx Ron!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
whow... I spent some time in north eastern Pennsylvania once and ever since I always thought Coney Island Texas wieners were their local specialty, never knew they were also eaten in Detroit, too!!
I usually don't care much for chili dogs but I really liked this one, and not long ago was wondering if there was a recipe exist. Thanx Ron!
From A Detroit Newspaper:
You're leaving a double-overtime Red Wings game and you're starving. Where do you go? Lafayette or American Coney Island! Set your expectations accordingly. Don't expect "fancy." This is NOT that kind of place. This is a place where hot dogs snap with flavor, and Michigan chilli fries get covered with cheese & onions. This is a roll-your-sleeves up, blue-collar kind of place. The waiters bark your order...they don't write it down (too fancy)! You're as likely to sit next to a bank president as a homeless person at the counter. If you see a guy bumming a dog, give your waiter a couple of bucks to get the guy some food. Manners? You don't come here for manners....you come here for the dogs, man! Loose burgers, combos, chili fries with cheese...loadem up with onions and a stripe of mustard...now that's Detroit!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks gwk!! That sounds exactly like the Coney Island wiener I used to know!! And good luck to the Red Wings... I used to enjoy watching them while I was in the us, too!!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, has anyone been to coney island recently? i think most of the world would be repulsed if you associated it with food, except maybe a nathan's dog.

my buddies and i get together every summer, and drink beer and eat hot dogs in between rides on the cyclone rollercoaster, until someone pukes. then we drink faster.

ronjohn, have you ever heard of a coney island whitefish? it's a local specialty...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
lol, has anyone been to coney island recently? i think most of the world would be repulsed if you associated it with food, except maybe a nathan's dog.

my buddies and i get together every summer, and drink beer and eat hot dogs in between rides on the cyclone rollercoaster, until someone pukes. then we drink faster.

ronjohn, have you ever heard of a coney island whitefish? it's a local specialty...
I haven't been there in years. Used to hang out on Bay 16 (as a kid), opposite Washington Bath's (pool/beach) & have chocolate cream pie at the counter. Is the Parachute jump still there?

Tags
None