Dad's Party Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbdj

Assistant Cook
My pop made this chili for my little brother's wedding and he's been turning the 'in-laws' away at the door since then. They keep wanting more of it!

2 1/2 LBS Tip Roast, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 1/2 LBS ground chuck
1 LB ground Pork Sausage
1 Tablespoon oregeno
7 Tablespoons Chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground Cumin
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 10oz can Rotel Chunky Tomatoes & Green Chilies
2 large onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Red bell pepper, diced
1/2 can chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, diced ( about 5-6 )
2 to 3 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1 or 2 Habanero peppers, diced
2 Tablespoons Bayou Pecker Power hot sauce (or any kind you like, this stuff is good tho)
1 4oz can diced green chiles
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
2 Tablespoons brown sauger
1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
2 Beers
Masa Harina
salt and pepper to taste
your favorite Salsa

1. In a large Dutch oven brown the meat with 2 TBL chili powder. Drain the fat, but leave a little for flavor. Add 2 beers ,the rest of the chili powder , oregano, cumin, paprika, and get it to start to boil. Simmer for 1 hour.

2. Heat up a skillet and caramelize the onions. During the last few minutes add the garlic and saute. Add onion and garlic to the chili along with Chipotleo, Jalapeno, Hot Sauce, Habanero, green chiles, red pepper, tomatoes, and rotel. Simmer another 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

3. Add sugar and vinegar. Whisk together 1/3 cup Masa and 1/3 cup cold water. Bring Chili to a boil and stir it until it thickens. Season to taste.

Serve in bowls with a little salsa on top, you can also add some sour cream to tone down the spicyness a little if you want.

wow Robb, this sounds alot more interesting than my chili! I always wondered about using tip roast instead of ground beef. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds great.

What is masa harinna?

amber said:
What is masa harinna?
Masa harina is hominy treated with lime and ground to a meal called masa. When dried, it is referred to as masa harina. It is traditionally used for making corn tortillas and is used sometimes as a thickener.

amber: the tip roast gets soo tender after a few hours stewing with the chili. I love it. A 'meatier' chili. It freezes really well and is even better the next day

Back
Top Bottom