"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 12-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #1
Master Chef

For NAChef, Chief's 2015 Chili Recipes

NAChef, I posted this for you. Hope it meets your needs, and that you like it.

Here's what I made, and what the crowd, and some of the judges said was the best they ever ate. They were talking about my hot chili, though the mild was well received tooRed Chili #7

Ok. Due to popular demand, here it is in all its glory.
This is a Northern-Midwestern-style chili, with beans, fresh and canned veggies, and both fresh and dried peppers. It is not Texas Red chili. It is a regional favorite. If you are one of those who insist that Texas Red style chili is the only chili that you will eat, then walk away. But if you like Midwestern chili, this will satisfy your chili cravings. Enjoy.
Cut down to make a family serving.

Ingredients:
19 oz. can diced tomatoes
19 oz. can Dark-Red Kidney Beans
10 oz. can Pinto Beans
1 stalks Celery, sliced
1 ½ lb. coarse-grind ground beef (good quality stuff)
1 ea. dried, Jalapeno Peppers
1 orange bell pepper
1 small can Chipotle Peppers
1/2 large onion
3/4 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tsp. ground Cumin
2 tbs. hot Chili Powder
1 tbs. freshly-minced Cilantro
1 tbs. Masa Harina
½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. Mesquite flavored Liquid Smoke

If possible, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down. When the patties are done, break up for the chili. If you can grill them, you don’t need the liquid smoke. If you can’t grill the meat over hot coals (or even on a gas grill), proceed as follows.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a large pot (must hold about 7at least a gallon) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal.

To make six gallons of the crowd-pleasing hot chili, use this recipe:

The Chief’s Hot Chili
Serves a bunch.

6 lbs. diced tomatoes (1 #10 can)
6 lb. can Kidney Beans (1 #10 can)
6 lb. can Pinto Beans (1 #10 can)
3 stalks Celery, sliced
6 lb. coarse-grind ground beef (good quality stuff)
6 Jalapeno Peppers
6 Anaheim Peppers
3 Ghost peppers (Dried Buhk Jalokia)
3 Carolina Reapers
2 Serrano Peppers
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 can Chipotle Peppers
5 dried Japone Peppers
Small bottle Tabasco Sauce
3 large onions
1 bunch Cilantro
2 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
17 oz. hot Chili Powder
1/2 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro
½ cup Masa Harina

This makes about six gallons of chili. If you want to please a crowd of chili-heads, that love it hot, this is for you. Of coarse you can cut it down. Just do a little math. Use the first recipe from this post and start adding the hot peppers.

Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. Im a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal.

For the mild version, omit the hot peppers.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Awesome!! Thank you! I will be making some in the next week.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
Awesome!! Thank you! I will be making some in the next week.
Oh, add the meat to the chili before it goes into the fridge.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 12-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Oh Chief,
You just made my head spin.
I can't say I have ever had canned pinto beans.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #5
Master Chef

Sounds good, Chief. At least the first one does, not sure I could handle the heat of the other one.

Cinisajoy, I always have canned pintos on hand, along with several other types of canned beans - they're necessary staples in my pantry.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Sounds good, Chief. At least the first one does, not sure I could handle the heat of the other one.

Cinisajoy, I always have canned pintos on hand, along with several other types of canned beans - they're necessary staples in my pantry.
I keep dried pinto beans at all times.
And sometimes frozen cooked pinto beans.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
Oh Chief,
You just made my head spin.
I can't say I have ever had canned pinto beans.
You just open the can, drain them, then rinse with water. They taste and feel just like the ones I cook from dried, but take so much less time to incorporate into the chili.

At home, I usually start with dried beans, whether they be great northern, navy, kidney, lima, pinto, red beans, or even black-eyed peas. But when I'm forced to use a health department approved working kitchen, with three sinks, and have to cook my chili in a steam kettle, then I cut corners to save time and space, and to stay out of the working cook's way. The people who eat my chili don't know, or care that I use canned beans, as long as they are not sweet beans . When using an approved, pro kitchen, I had to adapt my techniques to the equipment available. Oh, and just so you know, cleaning a steam kettle that has just seen 8 gallons of chili reduced to 6, with a crust of chili residue on the sides, well, it takes longer to clean than does the pot I use at home.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
Master Chef

I just re-read my first post. I accidentally put fresh cilantro in the recipe twice. This pungent herb is very strong. I would suggest mincing a 1/4 cup and stirring it into the chili. Let it simmer for about ten minutes and taste. The cilantro flavor should add its magic to the chili, but not overpower. Remember the rule - if there's not enough, you can always add more. Once it's in the pot, you can't take it out.

Cilantro will add wonderful flavor to chili, but can also ruin it if too much is used. Go slowly.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks for the lesson on beans.
I think I would rather clean your steam kettle than dirty lunch dishes that had been sitting in dry tubs for between 3 and 6 hours.
Worked once as the only dishwasher and the owner was so cheap that the dishwasher only worked the evening shift.

Now can I borrow your rule to tell my daughter?
Old 12-06-2015, 09:02 PM   #10
Master Chef

Awesome.

Tags
beans., bell peppers, chef, chili, chili peppers, herbs. spices, recipe, recipes, tomato

For NAChef, Chief's 2015 Chili Recipes NAChef, I posted this for you. Hope it meets your needs, and that you like it.:mrgreen: Here's what I made, and what the crowd, and some of the judges said was the best they ever ate. They were talking about my hot chili, though the mild was well received tooRed Chili #7 Ok. Due to popular demand, here it is in all its glory. This is a Northern-Midwestern-style chili, with beans, fresh and canned veggies, and both fresh and dried peppers. It is not Texas Red chili. It is a regional favorite. If you are one of those who insist that Texas Red style chili is the only chili that you will eat, then walk away. But if you like Midwestern chili, this will satisfy your chili cravings. Enjoy. Cut down to make a family serving. Ingredients: 19 oz. can diced tomatoes 19 oz. can Dark-Red Kidney Beans 10 oz. can Pinto Beans 1 stalks Celery, sliced 1 ½ lb. coarse-grind ground beef (good quality stuff) 1 ea. dried, Jalapeno Peppers 1 orange bell pepper 1 small can Chipotle Peppers 1/2 large onion 3/4 tsp. ground Coriander 1 1/2 tsp. ground Cumin 2 tbs. hot Chili Powder 1 tbs. freshly-minced Cilantro 1 tbs. Masa Harina ½ tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. Mesquite flavored Liquid Smoke If possible, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down. When the patties are done, break up for the chili. If you can grill them, you don’t need the liquid smoke. If you can’t grill the meat over hot coals (or even on a gas grill), proceed as follows. Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a large pot (must hold about 7at least a gallon) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal. To make six gallons of the crowd-pleasing hot chili, use this recipe: [B][SIZE="5"]The Chief’s Hot Chili[/SIZE][/B] Serves a bunch. 6 lbs. diced tomatoes (1 #10 can) 6 lb. can Kidney Beans (1 #10 can) 6 lb. can Pinto Beans (1 #10 can) 3 stalks Celery, sliced 6 lb. coarse-grind ground beef (good quality stuff) 6 Jalapeno Peppers 6 Anaheim Peppers 3 Ghost peppers (Dried Buhk Jalokia) 3 Carolina Reapers 2 Serrano Peppers 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper 1 can Chipotle Peppers 5 dried Japone Peppers Small bottle Tabasco Sauce 3 large onions 1 bunch Cilantro 2 tsp. ground Coriander 1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin 17 oz. hot Chili Powder 1/2 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro ½ cup Masa Harina This makes about six gallons of chili. If you want to please a crowd of chili-heads, that love it hot, this is for you. Of coarse you can cut it down. Just do a little math. Use the first recipe from this post and start adding the hot peppers. Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili. Brown The ground beef and set aside. Im a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal. For the mild version, omit the hot peppers. Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews