Ham Hock's Hockey Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ham Hock

Cook
I won a local contest with this recipe so a couple folks like it anyway!

I cant remember exactly the measurements on this and always just make it as I go, tasting it to see if it's right.

The stock:
3 smoked ham hocks
3 cut up onions
2 cut up bell pepper
several stalk celery
carrots
tsp cummin
beef broth

2 cup onions, chopped
1 cup green peppers, chopped
2 large celery rib, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 lbs ground beef
1 lb. hickory smoked ham, diced
1 teaspoons chipoltes in adobo sauce (more if you like it hot, or less if you dont, this stuff is HOT to me)
1 - 2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion salt
2 bay leaves, whole
2 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chili powder
2.5 cups + beef broth
2 cans Rotel Original
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 cans kidney beans
cheddar cheese
sour cream

put the stock ingredients together and simmmer on low for several hours, adding water or beer if needed. Strain it, remove the hocks and pull all of the skin, meat, and fat off and put it in a blender with all the veggies including the carrots. Add some stock and puree until smooth. Return to stock.

Brown the meat well and then just dump the rest of it into the pot except put the beans in a little later on if the amounts look OK to you.

Cook it till it seems right.

Add a little more cumin toward the end when you check the salt.

Top with cheddar and sour cream in the bowl, serve with mexican cornbread.

Interesting. I never tried ham or ham hocks in chili. I have used bacon. I've also never used celery or carrots. I'll bet this is tasty.

BC

I've never used ham hocks or bacon. But I can see how that would make the chili better, give it a nice smokey flavor. This recipe really sounds interesting. I just might have to give it a try.:chef:

Laast night I made a pretty easy chili using a 24 oz. can of enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup sweet yellow bell pepper cut into large chunks, 19 oz. can of tomatoes, 24 oz. can of dark-red kidney beans, one medium, yellow-onion, quartered, then each quarter sliced in half along the horizontal axis 1/3 cup hot chili powder, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, one stalk celery, sliced, and 2 bay leaves.

For the meat, I combined 1/2 lb. of lean ground beef with 1/2 lb. of Mexican-style Chorizo. Oh, I also added about 1 tsp. each coriander and cumin.

I'm eating it right now for lunch. It came out pretty tasty.

But using smoked ham-hocks, that just sounds interesting.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It's just regular rotel in a can, they make it all kinds of ways now, I just use the original most of the time. (diced tomatoes and green chilies)

Goodweed I've gotten anymore to where if I need a stock, for just about anything, and I mean almost anything, I will try it with a hock in it.

I once saw this thing on TV where Lagassee was going on and on and on and ON about hocks. I guess he found out what I did, they make almost anything better. (well maybe not apple pie and ice cream)

PORK FAT RULES!!!!!!!!!:pig:

Last edited:
I had no idea what rotel was, but I googled it and found a picture of the can. I should be able to find that at the grocery store. I've never cooked with ham hocks. I'll have to try your recipe sometime. Thanks.

A whole lot of people around here take a can of Rotel in whatever style you like, add it to a bag of shreeded cheedar cheese, and nuke it to melt the cheese. Presto instant dorito dip and it's pretty darn good too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom