"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Can't imagine chili without onions or fresh peppers.. I use equal amounts of diced onions as I do various chili peppers. You have a LOT of tomato going on there.... back off on the canned tomatos, lose the paste. I use tomato juice and one can of diced tomatoes for a large pot of chili..
My wife is allergic to onions, but I happen to have some onions to put in this next batch for the cook-off. She won't be eating any of it anyway.

I will back off both the tomatos and paste a bit, and try maybe some ancho chilis. How do I incorporate them?

Chili powder is not a spice?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
Senior Cook

One more thing...

If you are using vegetables in your chili, you're not making chili, you're making chili flavored stew. You also may be limited in your area to flavorless chili powder. As others are noting, the basics of chili are beef, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomato sauce, paprika and masa flour. Look up some southern chili recipes in cook off competition.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
Head Chef

Chili powder as it exists on the store shelf generally contains a mixture of spices (sometimes including dried onion), but technically, chili powder is ground, dried chilies.
As far as incorporating chilies, well, if they are dried, grind them (like in a coffee grinder), or if they are fresh, dice them. Then just stir in. I like to add spices and dried chilies to the meat, towards the end of browning, then add the liquid.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
If you are using vegetables in your chili, you're not making chili, you're making chili flavored stew. You also may be limited in your area to flavorless chili powder. As others are noting, the basics of chili are beef, onion, chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomato sauce, paprika and masa flour. Look up some southern chili recipes in cook off competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Chili powder as it exists on the store shelf generally contains a mixture of spices (sometimes including dried onion), but technically, chili powder is ground, dried chilies.
As far as incorporating chilies, well, if they are dried, grind them (like in a coffee grinder), or if they are fresh, dice them. Then just stir in. I like to add spices and dried chilies to the meat, towards the end of browning, then add the liquid.
Thanks for the info! I add my spices (and chili powder!) to the meat before all the other ingredients too.

Phil, in my house we call it chili. I realize everyone makes it different, and many people are pretty adamant about it. I am not.

Got any pulled pork bbq recipes?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
My wife is allergic to onions, but I happen to have some onions to put in this next batch for the cook-off. She won't be eating any of it anyway.

I will back off both the tomatos and paste a bit, and try maybe some ancho chilis. How do I incorporate them?

Chili powder is not a spice?
Personally, I would look for some green Anaheims, a few pablanos and definitely cerranos.

I dice my fresh peppers and saute them along with the meat an onions.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out this site to see the variety of dried and ground chiles and chili powder blends. Spices at Penzeys Spices Spices, Herbs and Seasonings A-E
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Add Some Stuff

I would saute some onions and garlic until soft, then add some peppers - different colored bell peppers and maybe a couple of poblano chiles (dark green - in some parts of the country they are known as either ancho - the peppers used for chile rellenos), roasted & peeled and then chopped OR a couple of tablespoons of chili powder (pure chile if possible). Let that cook for a little while, then add the beans and tomatoes. Maybe even a bottle of beer and let it cook down for awhile until it is thick.

I've never made a chili that had that few ingredients - there are always onions, garlic, peppers or chiles or both. Also a ton of spices - usually some pure chile powder (ancho, chipotle, cayenne - something like that) - not the commercial stuff because it has a lot of other herbs included and a ton of salt. This way you control the salt content too. Of course salt and pepper are important ingredients and a touch of sugar usually balances the flavor of the tomatoes. Or the acidity of the tomatoes.

These are my suggestions.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
Head Chef

Ok, I think I have a good solution. I will cut out a can of tomatoes and a can of paste, and add some fresh peppers. How many peppers per pound of meat? I don't want it Texas hot, just a good kick.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Wendy's Chili

Go to google - search Wendy's Chili Recipe - few too many beans for me but basically pretty darn good.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Ok, I think I have a good solution. I will cut out a can of tomatoes and a can of paste, and add some fresh peppers. How many peppers per pound of meat? I don't want it Texas hot, just a good kick.
OK.. instead of the hot peppers use some poblanos and just a few of the hotter peppers. For a pound of meat.. 3/4 cup chopped(not packed in the cup, just loose). That should give you good base.

I generally try to add as much chopped pepper by volume as onion..

Tags
None