"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 12-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Go to google - search Wendy's Chili Recipe - few too many beans for me but basically pretty darn good.
You mean Wendy's like the FF place? Mine is already better than that.

I wonder if I can find any chipotles. Those would add some smokiness too. Otherwise I could just use a couple of poblanos, and a couple jalapenos.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
...I wonder if I can find any chipotles. Those would add some smokiness too. Otherwise I could just use a couple of poblanos, and a couple jalapenos.
You can order dry chipotles from the Penzeys link I posted above. There is also chipotle in adobo sauce available in small cans at most supermarkets. Look in the Hispanic foods section. Either type of chipotle will do the trick in chili.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #23
Head Chef

smoked paprika works, too

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #24
Master Chef

I'm not a fan of tomato in chili, so I never put any actual tomatoes in. I might use a small can of sauce or some paste though.

IMO, essential ingredients in my chili are fresh peppers, both sweet and hot, onion, cilantro, garlic, beef (cubes or ground), and beans.

I also use lots of Penzey's chili powder, rehydrated dry ancho chiles, mexican oregano, additional cumin, unsweetened cocoa powder, salt, black pepper and a few secret additions.

I have won more than a few chili cookoffs with this recipe.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #25
Head Chef

I went to Walmart at lunch and found they have canned chiptoles in adobo, as well as diced green chiles and jalepenos. In the veggie section I saw fresh poblanos and (a massive bag of) dried guajillos. So chiptoles and poblanos ought to be an easy addition to my chili.

I know there are 1000 different ways to make chili, and they're all the best to those that are making it. It would probably be safer to talk religion or politics than chili ingredients!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #26
Head Chef

Also, I know that many of you do not like tomatos in chili, but I've always made it that way and done very well in cook-offs (usually 1st or 2nd). And I was the one that noticed the last batch had a bit too much tomato taste. Everyone else loved it. I might decrease the amount of tomato in future batches (to cut down on acidity as much as anything), but for this competition I want to stick as close to TNT as possible. I will let you know how it goes! I might make another batch before the cook-off just as a test run.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Oh the chipotles in adabo.. I think I might just be addicted to them.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Oh the chipotles in adabo.. I think I might just be addicted to them.
Frank, where on the Ches Bay are you?

Also, do you guys dump all the adobo sauce into the chili? Thumbs up or down on that? I would think dumping it in would be good.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #29
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I am near Baltimore.

I haven't used it for chili yet, though the weekend is coming. I have used it for my BBQ sauce and various other things. ;)

I puree the whole can (usually) with a bit of tomato sauce to get it moving in the blender. Freeze it in an ice cube tray to keep it cause a little goes a long way.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I am near Baltimore.

I haven't used it for chili yet, though the weekend is coming. I have used it for my BBQ sauce and various other things. ;)

I puree the whole can (usually) with a bit of tomato sauce to get it moving in the blender. Freeze it in an ice cube tray to keep it cause a little goes a long way.
Wow, so I shouldn't dump the whole can into a pot of chili? Things like that are good to know!

BTW, just updated my location. Didn't realize it wasn't there.

Tags
None