"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Head Chef

HELP! chili too tomato-ey

I made some chili recently for some friends that came over. Below are the main ingredients I put in it. The other ingredients were herbs and spices. It looked great, and tasted good. But it was a bit tomato-y. I would like to cut down on that a bit, and also add a little kick with some peppers. I have never put peppers in my chili though so I don't know how to proceed. I will be making a batch for a chili cook-off at work, so I want it to be awesome!

3 lbs gr beef
3 14.5 oz cans beans
3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatos
2 14.5 oz cans tomato paste
no onions at all (extra garlic to compensate)

I like the tomato paste because it gives the chili a thicker sauce, not clear and runny. I wondered if leaving out a can of diced tomatos, and half a can of tomato paste would help. Any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Your recipe contains no chile peppers, either fresh, dried or in powder form. Hard to call it chili...

I use 8 Oz of tomato per pound of meat and no tomato paste. If you want it thicker, don't add more tomato flavor (paste), cook the chili down to reduce the liquid or add less. Many chili recipes use masa, corn flour, to thicken the chili.

Also, many chili recipes contain salt, black pepper, onion, cumin and oregano.

Beans are optional in chili recipes. Purists insist they don't belong but I use them. You csn either mix them in or serve the chili over beans.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I personally don't care for too many beans so I would drop 2 cans of beans....
Drop a can of tomatoes...Drop a can of paste....

Consider adding things like, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, beef or chicken broth, green onions, chocolate, Masa harina, ancho chilis etc....

Good Luck!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your recipe contains no chile peppers, either fresh, dried or in powder form. Hard to call it chili...

Also, many chili recipes contain salt, black pepper, onion, cumin and oregano.
Andy,
My chili contains chili powder and red pepper sauce, as well as salt, black pepper, cumin and oregano. That was covered in sentence 3 of my OP.

And my chili will always have beans, because I like beans.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Simple. Drop one can of diced tomatoes, and one can of tomato paste.

I use 2-1/2 to 3 lbs of ground chuck in my chilli: 2 cans of diced tomatoes and 1 can of paste is plenty!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I suppose chili recipes are like cole slaw and potato salad, everyone is different. But you know you have too much tomato flavor in yours. I don't use any paste or tomatoes. I use an eight ounce can of tomato sauce and water per pound of meat. For me, you must have cumin, (that's the chili flavor), garlic, chili powder, masa flour, and oregano. There's more, but that's really the basics for me.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
Master Chef

I add cayenne pepper and paprika as well as the spices already mentioned. The best thing to do is to taste it. If it's too tomato-y add more spice. If you don't want it too spicy, add something sweet like chocolate (I use Hershey's syrup) or sometimes I'll add apple jelly. It gives it another layer of flavor without making it too spicy (DH doesn't like really spicy).
Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Andy,
My chili contains chili powder and red pepper sauce, as well as salt, black pepper, cumin and oregano. That was covered in sentence 3 of my OP.

And my chili will always have beans, because I like beans.
I saw that you mentioned herbs and spices. Not knowing what that specifically referred to, I listed specifics. Regardless, chili peppers are neither herbs or spices.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

as for chocolate, you may want to try cocoa powder, adds a depth of flavor without the sweetness. Also, smoked paprika adds a nice note, too.
Chili powder and cumin, you could maybe increase those amounts, not sure how much you have used in your recipe.
Yes, decrease the amount of tomatoes. (some chili doesn't even call for tomatoes, just chilies and meat)
(and it helps to include that information in the original question in order for us to help you)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Head Chef

Can't imagine chili without onions or fresh peppers.. I use equal amounts of diced onions as I do various chili peppers. You have a LOT of tomato going on there.... back off on the canned tomatos, lose the paste. I use tomato juice and one can of diced tomatoes for a large pot of chili..

Tags
None