Help! Urgent..cooking for six..chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
i dont want to screw this up.ive never cooked for 4 people let alone 6.

im making chili. i forgot my chili recipe but remember what ingredients to pick up. PLEASE just help the proportions, with chilis at a level of SPICY not a mild chili..but not a chilehead either. here is what ill be using

cento crushed tomatoes
tecate beer
beef broth
mexican oregano
smoked paprika
cumin seed
2lbs ground beef
salt
pepper
chipotle chile in adobe
diced onion
diced jalapeno
poblano pepper
chile powder

i have a few onions and one poblano..plenty of jalapenos..

just some ROUGH proportions is all i want.... how much liquid ratio compared to 2 1/4 lbs ground beef

I'd say enough for a 12 quart stock pot. When reduced, should yeild 8-9 quarts.

4 - 14oz tomatoes

3-4 can broth

2 1/2 beers....;)

If you need more liquid, use red wine, beer, broth or booze.

Don't worry about going overboard, it tastes better the next day anyway.

Last edited:
How big are the cans of crushed tomatoes? I only use 1lb of ground beef to feed 4 of us and there are lots of leftovers with that. I use:
1lb ground beef
1 750ml tin of crushed tomatoes (about 3-4 cups)
I add kidney beans to mine so that would be about another 1.5 cups of "stuff"
Onion, spices etc.
Think you might be fine with 2 cans of tomatoes and just add the beef broth as you go to thin it out if necessary.

I'd do all the tomatoes, most of the beer (save that 6oz required tasting!) and 1.5 cups of beef broth and add the rest if you think you need it at the end.

What are you going to serve other than chili? Got some good crusty buns or a baguette? That would finish things nicely.

gonna top em with some boars head black wax and some crushed saltines.

okay..... so now that we have established...

should i 1 T cumin and 1 T chile powder?

maybe 2t of mexican oregano?

how much of the adobo sauce would you say?

Yes to all those ideas. I like less oregano myself, but thats just me. I've never used adobo sauce so I can't comment on that. I think I'd start with a tbsp and work up from there. You know the spice limits of the folks that are coming.

sorry for all the posts..i have anxiety disorder and this isnt helping.

should i simmer the pot for a couple hours and just slowly season as it goes?

i was thinking putting the cumin and chile powder in initially would be fine

but i dont want to put in too much mexican oregano...how should i do this...flood me with your info...lol....the funny thing is i make a **** good pot of chili but i havent in one year and never this amount...and never had to impress anyone.

thanks so much for your support.

Yes to putting it in at the beginning. Oregano I'd leave til about an hour before service and I wouldn't do 2T, maybe 1 at the most. Dump everything in, let it simmer til you're ready to eat and it will be lovely. Don't stress. You know you can do this. Chili is better if you ignore it on a back burner for a few hours.

2 tsps is MUCH better! Go with that. 1 tbsp is just 3 tsp so not too different. I like 2 tsps though, good thought.

Add most of the spices when your browning the meat. When the chili is simmering, skim off the foamy crud on the surface into a coffee mug and trash it.

Wooden cutting board covered with waxed paper and a mallet or the back of a very tough spoon.

Gross. Yes it would. LOL, your coffee is going to be funky though. Your chili will have a nice flavor from the coffee residue though.

coffee grinder was brand new..its now my spice mill!

so should i keep salt low because ill be using so much beef broth?

Back
Top Bottom