Is Chili A Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From http://www.wordreference.com/

picante

Iadjetivo
1 (comida) hot, spicy

From http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dict_en_es/

Picante

[size=-1](Spanish)

[/size]
pi·can·te
adj.
[size=-3]1. [/size]- spicy

From http://www.tomisimo.org/
Spanish Word, Phrase or Translation

picante

English Word, Phrase or Translation

spicy

From http://www.yourdictionary.com/

picante adj. : 1. highlyseasoned adj. 2. racy adj. 3. piquant adj. 4. biting adj. 5. spicy adj. 6. hot adj. (spicy) 7. peppery adj. 8. pungent adj. 9. itchy adj.

Daphne duLibre said:
""soup" -- which for me is anything in a pot that gets heated on a burner and contains any amount of water.
OK so based on this definition it sounds like you would call things like rice, beans, couscous, Stovetop stuffing, braised dishes, pastas, and many other things soup. Do I understand you correctly?

Also, I asked you before, but I don't think you ever answered me...What does *G* mean? You have that in a lot of your posts. I am guessing it is a grin or something like that, but I have never seen anyone other than you use that so I don't know what it means.

Chili, like many a chowder, can be defined by its regional differences. Some are quite simple, with few ingredients, as crossing the great wide west prohibited most fresh items and wide variety. That discussion aside, I view chili as a creation. Let's see what I will do with it this time. DO I have all day? or will this be a crock pot meal because I'm working? Will I re-create a regional recipe, or go it solo?

My experience is if you use good basic ingedients and start with a sofrito base, you can't go too far wrong. (ok ok ok ...chocolate mango sardine chili might be a little much! lol)

I see chili as its own category since there are so many different types of chili. Just as stew is its own category and there are tons of different types of stew. You can have chili that has beef, chili that is vegetarian, chili that has beans or chili without. It can be spicy or not. It can have chicken, turkey, or any other number of meats. It can be red or white or even other colors. Yes chili is a dish, but it is also a category as far as I am concerned.

I didn't see it mentioned here, but sometimes if my chili is a bit more watery than I like, I add some refried beans to reach the consistency I want. As I feel like we need the beans more than we need the meat, I also use pinto or kidney beans in the chili. I like it made with black beans also, but haven't made it myself that way. If I'm cooking black beans, I ususally use the recipe from the Columbia restaurant. If anyone would like the recipe, I'll be happy to post it in the soup forum.

licia, if it is a chili, post it in the chili forum. Don't worry about how runny it is. If we want to move a copy to Soups we can do that quite easily too.

I've always used masa flour to help with the thickness. The refried beans is an excellent idea!!!!

Looking forward to seeing that recipe!

GB said:
Acid is not needed for deglazing a pan. Deglazing can be done with plain water. Acid is also not basic to brining. For a basic brine all you need is water and salt.

Not to change the subject but GB - when I burn stuff onto any pan I will quicken cleanup time by deglazing with water when I'm done cooking - it's much better than soaking!!!!!!!!

GB said:
OK so based on this definition it sounds like you would call things like rice, beans, couscous, Stovetop stuffing, braised dishes, pastas, and many other things soup. Do I understand you correctly?

Also, I asked you before, but I don't think you ever answered me...What does *G* mean? You have that in a lot of your posts. I am guessing it is a grin or something like that, but I have never seen anyone other than you use that so I don't know what it means.

Nahhhhhhh, being sarcastic. About half the stuff I put in a pot with water and cook on top of the stove ends up "soupy." But I'm a bachelor here, cooking for one, and tend to cook pretty narrowly -- and define techniques in broad sweeps.

Water in a pot on the stove with ingredients turns the water into a broth in some sense. Adelle Davis in "Let's Eat Right To Keep Fit" stresses that food cooked in water releases essential nutrients into the water (a "soup" or "broth") and if you drain it, the nutrients are lost.

*G* is "grin" -- I think *GG* is "giggle" but it seems not to get used much. The smilies on the side panel here are nice, but "old school" and a lot of chat rooms has me using the letter acronyms between asterisks.

*BG* is big grin. In chatrooms the acronyms are used profusely versus emoticons. All bulletin boards will have the emoticons to the right but usually not as many - we feel blessed to have so many :angel:

If you do a word search with the word acronym you will see where I have posted a whole slew of them!!!!! More than you will ever need to know and a lot of the acronyms left out!!! :mrgreen:

Daphne duLibre said:
N

*G* is "grin" -- I think *GG* is "giggle" but it seems not to get used much. The smilies on the side panel here are nice, but "old school" and a lot of chat rooms has me using the letter acronyms between asterisks.
Thanks Daphne. That is what I was guessing it meant as that seemed to make sense, but sometimes I make these assumptions and am drastically wrong :LOL:

GB said:
Thanks Daphne. That is what I was guessing it meant as that seemed to make sense, but sometimes I make these assumptions and am drastically wrong :LOL:

GB, you know what they say about assumptions they make an *** out of u and me. EEK! Glad you didn't assume in this case. :LOL:

GB - it took me ages to figure out what DH was - I definately had my own meaning and it still related to male spouse! :LOL:

I removed the last post - we aren't getting anywhere as people have different views - always will - no point in dragging it out.

Recipe for Blackbean soup from Columbia Restaurant

Recipe for Blackbean soup from Columbia Restaurant is posted in the soup forum.

kitchenelf said:
I removed the last post - we aren't getting anywhere as people have different views - always will - no point in dragging it out.

Yeah, thanks --

A fair amount of research went into that philogical/etymological run-down. When people disagree about what words mean, words are the conduit for clarification.

Why don't you move into my library and burn my books?

Quid pro quo would infer that you should remove ALL the posts related to this issue -- not just the ones you capriciously judge contentious.

You know about quid pro quo? It's not a mollusk out of the ocean. I'd explain it to you, but you'd probably censor that too.

Last edited:
"Daphne" - This forum is based on camraderie and fellowship, and sharing of ideas; not arguing for the sake of argument; not inciting other members; not putting down other members' lifestyles or thoughts. If you do not agree with the moderation here, then perhaps this is not the online community for you. The moderators do a superb job in keeping the posts in the correct forum, and also to ensure that no one oversteps their bounds. Everyone here has the utmost respect for them and their decisions.

Back
Top Bottom