"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 08-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #71
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
I like beans in my chili, but I suppose I need to try it your way at least once. Please send the recipe!
I have a great recipe that doesn't include beans. Like I said, I just add them because I want the chili to go further.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #72
Head Chef

I have read this thread with real interest, and much humilty. I have always put beans in my chili and its one of my favourite winter meals. Its one of those things I also find useful at the end of a pay month....I thik you get a lot of taste and bulk and nutrition for th money that goes into it. I have never had fast food chili.

I second vagrillers call for Mylegsbig's recipe. I don't feel know that I would recognise a "real" chili recipe. I hope this debate goes on to answer that for me!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #73
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
I second vagrillers call for Mylegsbig's recipe. I don't feel know that I would recognise a "real" chili recipe. I hope this debate goes on to answer that for me!
Yes, I was looking forward to making my standard chili, but I might have to try the Big Leg version first. Then I can post back to this thread about it.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:24 AM   #74
Executive Chef

Folks, please don't go feeling inferior or something because your chili has beans in it!!!! There are as many different types of chili as there are spaghetti sauces. They are all great!!

There are regional differences; the original 'chili' started in Northern Mexico, I think in the Pueblo region, where it was a meat 'tinga' or stew. It then crossed the border into Texas, and from there took off; and I'm sure that some enterprising camp cook on a cattle drive saw he was low on meat, and added some beans to make the chili for his cowboys go further - viola! - a new type of chili was born!

Beans or no beans, they're all good - just different!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #75
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Folks, please don't go feeling inferior or something because your chili has beans in it!!!! There are as many different types of chili as there are spaghetti sauces. They are all great!!
Believe me, I don't feel inferior! If you like beans (and I do) then chili with beans IS chili and IS good. I just want to try the non bean version and give my opinion. I bet if you took a poll the majority of folks would say chili has beans.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #76
Certified Pretend Chef

Marm:

Feel inferior!? Me? You've got to be kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
...For another, if you have to put BEANS in your chile to get enough flavor, you're doing something wrong...
As I said in my post, I add beans to stretch the chili to make more meals out of it, not to enhance the flavor.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #77
Chief Eating Officer

Lets also not forget that flavor is not the only thing to consider when making a meal.

I enjoy beans in my chili. I love the texture it provides. I also love chili without bean too. They are just very different ways of making the same dish.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:28 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Andy and VAgriller - Of COURSE I didn't mean you guys, lol! People just get so confused when something they've done all the time is suddenly 'wrong'.

And I really think that in light of today's headlines; 1 year anniversary of Katrina; another storm barreling down on us; war in the mid-East - whether or not to 'bean' your chili seems rather ridiculous, doesn't it?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #79
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Andy and VAgriller - Of COURSE I didn't mean you guys, lol! People just get so confused when something they've done all the time is suddenly 'wrong'.

And I really think that in light of today's headlines; 1 year anniversary of Katrina; another storm barreling down on us; war in the mid-East - whether or not to 'bean' your chili seems rather ridiculous, doesn't it?
After so many years on the net I can't count, I have found that the ridiculous arguments of beans or no beans and the like are the distractions we need when things get really bad.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:23 PM   #80
Sous Chef

My chilli has beans in it, and I'm proud of them!
It's also blisteringly hot, which doesn't endear it to a lot of people, but then sometimes you just have to please yourself.
Once every six months, at least!!

Tags
None