"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO good Texas chili recipe

Hey y'all,

I've been charged with making a big ol batch of chili for a cookoff my wife's company is going to be a part of. I've never made chili before! Yes, I am ashamed! I need help! Anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks,

Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

how 'bout one from the guv-nuh? the oldest one and best one that i can recall from here: "Authentic" Texas Chili

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Here is a link to International Chili Society Championship winners. If you click on a winner's name, their winning recipe comes up. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks guys.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up

I have always loved chili and cooking. Have used many recipes for many years, but ashamed to say the best I've found is a mix.

I like the Carol Shelby mix, but I change it. One mix packet does 2# meat. I use all of the spice packet, all of the cayanne packet, none of the masa packet (don't like the cornmeal taste). But start out by dicing and sauteing a large onion and a large bell pepper. Do everything else like the mix recipe tells you, but when finished, add 1/2 can of Rotel original diced tomatoes and green chilis (whole can will be too hot), and liquify 2 or 3 tablespoons flour in a little cold water and add that. Simmer it a few minutes more and add water until it is the consistancy you like.

To me, this is the best chili I have ever tasted, home cooked, or restaurant. I have even eaten Tolbert's chili in Dallas. But then, taste is an individualized thing.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Executive Chef

You'll find many recipes for chili on this board.
We've posted several and it's according to your taste, what you want in there.
I like Cin Skyline, I also like it with tomato sauce but like it without too. Like savory using lots of cumin and oregano and chili powder, like it soupy and like it thick and chunky. The challenge is making sure the flavors you like best are in there.
Chasen's Chili is legendary in California and it's with tomato, onion, green pepper.
Very good. If you want the flavor but not the chunk, you can use your power motor [boat prop] immersion blender to smooth it out.
It's an art.

Tags
None