ISO Steak Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy

Senior Cook
I would like to make a recipe for steak chili..does anyone have a good tried and true recipe for it? Thanks

Steak Chili

I would like to make a recipe for steak chili..does anyone have a good tried and true recipe for it? Thanks

Here is mine--posted elsewhere here...

start with fine diced bacon or pancetta. Fry up enough to get a nice amount of fat/seasoning in a dutch oven. Into that place sirloin that has been cut up into cubes.

For a nice 1.5 lb sirloin(with ALL fat removed) brown until half done then add one nice diced onion and the same amount of various chili peppers.(about 3/4 cup) You can vary the types of peppers to the heat you want. More mild than hot peppers for mild, more hot for hot......I generally have at least 5 different types--NO Jalapeños!! or Scotch Bonnet's.. they have the wrong flavor...

Liberally sprinkle the meat, onions and peppers with chili powder.

When the meat, onions, peppers are done pour on about 1/2 cup of scotch whiskey DO NOT USE bourbon, it will not taste right. It really needs to be scotch--it can be fairly cheap scotch but not "bottom of the barrel". Stir and allow that to cook down into a nice sauce.

In a pot place your chili beans. I like 1/2 mild 1/2 hot. Add a nice amount of diced tomatoes(a can is fine). Bring that up to temperature. Add the meat mixture WITH the sauce in the dutch oven(large skillet will do fine). Add another 1/2 cup scotch(no I am not kidding).

Add some juice from the jar of banana peppers, a few of the peppers too, some Worcestershire sauce and a few good dashes of your favorite hot sauce(optional).

Add tomato juice to bring it to the consistency you want. Let simmer to cook the alcohol off.

There you go, Tasty steak/scotch chili...

Last edited:
This is my favorite Chili and I know I have posted it before but I do not mind spreading the love.

Here is the chili I make, we call it Western Style as when I was young chili was mainly made from ground beef. This is made with cubed steak.

3 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne, makes it fairly hot. Less if you like it milder.
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons Hungarian smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 Tablespoon Salt
2 tablespoons oil
2 lb. lean beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 red bell pepper diced
1/2 green red pepper diced
1 pablano pepper diced
2 med. onions diced
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups of beef stock
2 One lb. cans of red beans
2 bay leaves

Mix first 12 ingredients in a bowl.

Heat the oil in a pan large enough to hold everything, a five quart pot might do the trick.

Just as oil starts to smoke add the meat and 4 tablespoons or so of the seasoning you mixed earlier. Stir frequently until meat begins to brown. About 4 minutes.

Add the red, green and pablano peppers along with the onion. Stir every couple of minutes, for 8 or 9 minutes, scrapping the bottom and sides as necessary.

Add the flour and a cup of the beef stock and stir vigorously.

Add the beans, juice and all. The rest of the stock and the bay leaves. Simmer until it is the consistency of chili.

Serve with chopped onion, a splash of Tabasco and a cool beer. Crumbles corn bread on top is not a bad thing.

Enjoy!

Roxy - I moved this thread to the Chili Sub-Forum in the Soups, Stews & Casseroles Forum so our chili cooks are more likely to see it.

Look at the top of this page and you will see a line that looks like this:

Discuss Cooking > Specific Chat & Recipes > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Just click on the word Chili (at the top of the page) - it's a link and will take you into the chili forum. You'll find all kinds of TNT recipes and ideas.

Now, as for a specific "steak" chili .... you can use steak, you can use chuck roast, you can use brisket - you can cube it, chop it or grind it. They all work in chili and are interchangeable ... just look at the discussion in the "Chili meat" thread.

JeffG quoted.............various chili peppers.(about 3/4 cup) You can vary the types of peppers to the heat you want. More mild than hot peppers for mild, more hot for hot......I generally have at least 5 different types--NO Jalapeños!! or Scotch Bonnet's.. they have the wrong flavor...
Okay, but can you name what you would use? Like serrano's or yellow or?
When the meat, onions, peppers are done pour on about 1/2 cup of scotch whiskey DO NOT USE bourbon, it will not taste right. It really needs to be scotch--it can be fairly cheap scotch but not "bottom of the barrel". Stir and allow that to cook down into a nice sauce. Um, can you name one for me to buy in the store? What is scotch whiskey? Is it JAck DanIELs?
In a pot place your chili beans. I like 1/2 mild 1/2 hot. Add a nice amount of diced tomatoes(a can is fine). Bring that up to temperature. Add the meat mixture WITH the sauce in the dutch oven(large skillet will do fine). Add another 1/2 cup scotch(no I am not kidding).Hum if I add that much of any booze I'll be too drunk to eat the dinner:huh: Add some juice from the jar of banana peppers, a few of the peppers too, some Worcestershire sauce and a few good dashes of your favorite hot sauce(optional). Like Daves or Tabasco?Add tomato juice to bring it to the consistency you want. Let simmer to cook the alcohol off. There you go, Tasty steak/scotch chili... I can't swear I'm going to do this but you do have my attention. Looks like it could be good but is it very alcohol tasting? I once did vodka penne pasta and I thought dh and I would both just die. Robert Wagners recipe on the Tony Danza show, he did a demo

JeffG quoted.............various chili peppers.(about 3/4 cup) You can vary the types of peppers to the heat you want. More mild than hot peppers for mild, more hot for hot......I generally have at least 5 different types--NO Jalapeños!! or Scotch Bonnet's.. they have the wrong flavor...
Okay, but can you name what you would use? Like serrano's or yellow or?
When the meat, onions, peppers are done pour on about 1/2 cup of scotch whiskey DO NOT USE bourbon, it will not taste right. It really needs to be scotch--it can be fairly cheap scotch but not "bottom of the barrel". Stir and allow that to cook down into a nice sauce. Um, can you name one for me to buy in the store? What is scotch whiskey? Is it JAck DanIELs?
In a pot place your chili beans. I like 1/2 mild 1/2 hot. Add a nice amount of diced tomatoes(a can is fine). Bring that up to temperature. Add the meat mixture WITH the sauce in the dutch oven(large skillet will do fine). Add another 1/2 cup scotch(no I am not kidding).Hum if I add that much of any booze I'll be too drunk to eat the dinner:huh: Add some juice from the jar of banana peppers, a few of the peppers too, some Worcestershire sauce and a few good dashes of your favorite hot sauce(optional). Like Daves or Tabasco?Add tomato juice to bring it to the consistency you want. Let simmer to cook the alcohol off. There you go, Tasty steak/scotch chili... I can't swear I'm going to do this but you do have my attention. Looks like it could be good but is it very alcohol tasting? I once did vodka penne pasta and I thought dh and I would both just die. Robert Wagners recipe on the Tony Danza show, he did a demo

OK, peppers.. cerranos, anaheim, poblamo, cayenne, hungarian wax, etc(what ever is available. OK, jalapeños are OK but can go bitter so be careful).

No Jack Daniels is not scotch. Scotch is Scotch. you can cut the amounts by half, but the scotch really does add flavor and does something to help keep the flavors distinct. You won't taste the alcohol. Just by a half pint of J&B Scotch add some of it only to the meat/onions/peppers in the skillet if you are afraid of it(it will be good without it, but not as good). Don't have the skillet on high, the alcohol will flash off too fast..

Hot sauce.. tobasco, Louisiana etc.

Back
Top Bottom