"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 08-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO unique, realy unique Chili

I can make it Thick, southwestern style, or with a host of veggies - Midwestern & Great Lakes style, with or without meat, with or without beans. But I'm getting ready for another chili cookoff. From last year's experience, they don't want great tasting chili (one judge who originally hailed from the South, stated that the only thing wrong with my chili was that Northerners were judging it), they want strange, but great tasting chili (last year's winner had cinamon in it, and many people were asking how in the world it even placed). I thought it tasted like a sloppy-joe mixture, myself. I would have never put it in the category of chile.

That being said, throw me some weird and wonderful chili concoctions. I'll check 'em out and see which one I'll be making. Of course, I'm one of those guys that can't use another person's recipe. So I'll be changing it. But I need some inspiration.

And it can't be too expensive. I may have to travel to Oregon in November and have to start saving some cash again.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Everymom

Goodweed, here's my prize winner. Feel free to modify at will. I was completely taken aback when I won as it was one of those "throw it together at the last minute" sort of deals. Good luck to you!

Alix's Prize Winning Chili

Old 08-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
I can make it Thick, southwestern style, or with a host of veggies - Midwestern & Great Lakes style, with or without meat, with or without beans. But I'm getting ready for another chili cookoff. From last year's experience, they don't want great tasting chili (one judge who originally hailed from the South, stated that the only thing wrong with my chili was that Northerners were judging it), they want strange, but great tasting chili (last year's winner had cinamon in it, and many people were asking how in the world it even placed). I thought it tasted like a sloppy-joe mixture, myself. I would have never put it in the category of chile.

That being said, throw me some weird and wonderful chili concoctions. I'll check 'em out and see which one I'll be making. Of course, I'm one of those guys that can't use another person's recipe. So I'll be changing it. But I need some inspiration.

And it can't be too expensive. I may have to travel to Oregon in November and have to start saving some cash again.

First of all, find some exotic meat to use, such as buffalo (bison), ostrich, or emu. Second, chili is ALWAYS better if you add some chocolate to it, and Ibarra Mexican is the best kind of chocolate to add. Figure maybe 2 pieces of one disk per quart of chili.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Everymom

Get out. Chocolate? You mean actual chocolate and not cocoa? Dark? What a cool idea Caine, I would never have thought of that on my own.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
Master Chef

Caine; I used unsweetened chocolate in my entry last year. But I used too much cilantro. And Alix, yours looks like a great chili as well, something I'd eat at home. But for this, I'm really talking different. Maybe I'll use red lentils in it along with meat and kidney beans. I won't add any tomatoes. The chili will be green in color, but red in taste. That might suprise them. Any other suggestions, or differing opinions are welcome.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #6
Cook

Alton Brown (foodnetwork) did this one last night.

3 pounds stew meat (beef, pork, and/or lamb)
2 teaspoons peanut oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 (12-ounce) bottle of beer, preferably a medium ale
1 (16-ounce) container salsa
30 tortilla chips
2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce, chopped
1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the chipotle peppers in adobo)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Place the meat in a large mixing bowl and toss with the peanut oil and salt. Set aside.

Heat a 6-quart heavy-bottomed pressure cooker over high heat until hot. Add the meat in 3 or 4 batches and brown on all sides, approximately 2 minutes per batch. Once each batch is browned, place the meat in a clean large bowl. Once all of the meat is browned, add the beer to the cooker to deglaze the pot.
Scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the meat back to the pressure cooker along with the salsa, tortilla chips, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, and ground cumin and stir to combine. Lock the lid in place according to the manufacturer's instructions. When the steam begins to hiss out of the cooker, reduce the heat to low, just enough to maintain a very weak whistle. Cook for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully release the steam. Serve immediately.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
Head Chef

Well, two things came to mind: when you said "red lentils" (which, by the way, turn brown with long cooking"), I was thinking LAMB.

And when you said, "no tomatoes", I was thinking White Bean Chicken Chili. Which I've made and love. Very creamy and only as warm as the jalapenos or other green chilis you put in.

The lamb chili idea sounds interesting. Do a Google search on "lamb chili" and you get a lot of hits. This Chocolate Lamb Chili is QUITE different!

http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/68757.asp

Good luck and keep us posted - let us know what you make and how you do!

Lee
Old 08-05-2005, 10:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Hi, GW - This is a recipe developed by a chef at Don Pintabona's restaurant, Tribeca Grill; they prepared it for a 'buffalo' class they taught, and I assisted at. It apparently won a 1st at a contest it was entered in. You might find it interesting!

BUFFALO CHILI

2lbs. cubed Buffalo or beef
1pt. Red Chili puree*
1 large white onion
4 cloves garlic minced
1cup canned whole tomatoes
2tsp. dry oregano
1tsp. rosemary
1tsp. tarragon
¼ cup espresso
1T creamy peanut butter
1T cocoa powder
1 corn tortilla
salt and pepper to taste

Place cubed meat in red chili puree and marinate overnight. Saute onions and garlic until soft. Remove meat from marinade, add to pan and saute til browned. Add remainder of puree to pan; crush tomatoes by hand directly into pan. Add herbs. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in a 325 oven; stir every ½ hour to prevent browning on bottom of pan. Remove from oven in approximately 2 hours, or when meat is very tender. Put chili back on stove, add peanut butter, cocoa powder, espresso and stir gently. Tear tortilla into small pieces and add to chili stirring gently; the tortilla will dissolve and thicken the chili. Season w/salt and pepper.

RED CHILE PUREE

3oz.mixed dried chiles
1 cup orange juice
1 bottle dark beer
1T pumpkin seeds
1tsp. cumin seeds
1T sliced almonds
½ tsp. Chinese 5spice powder
pinch allspice
pinch cinnamon
1T Sherry vinegar
3 cloves garlic minced
1 shallot minced
salt and pepper to taste

Steep chiles in orange juice and beer til softened, about 20 minutes. Toast seeds and spices til aromatic. Blend chiles in batches with other ingredients; you may need to add water in order for it to liquify. Taste for salt; BE CAREFUL; THIS STUFF IS EXTREMELY TOXIC!

Use for base for Buffalo chili, or other chilis, or enchilada sauce

As you can see, there are lots of complicated flavors going here; it is an absolutely wonderful chili, tho! Thought maybe it'd give you some ideas.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:18 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Lamb works very well with chili and really goes well with chipotle pepers. Ground lamb is easy enough to get. But you could get cheaper shoulder chops and slice and simmer also.

Try a game chili: get a chicken chili recipe but swap out the chicks for rabbit and duck etc.

Many of the trail chilis used the dried beef, (jerkey). Also a way to go.

And then there is how you serve it. In a half tropical fruit: ie mango or papaya. In an acorn squash? These fruits really complement a spicy or sweet chili.

good luck and happy creating.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks everyone. There's a lot to think about. I'm going to copy and paste and run these pat my other team members, see what comes up. I'll be making 2 chilis, and maybe some chocolate treats with cayenne pepper mixed in. I have availabel to me some wickedly hot sauce, the kind where you dip a toothpick in it and add that to your big pot of red and it makes you sweat and think before taking too big a bite, and two toothpick fulls and you'd better have something to cool your mouth. There are three categories for judging, the best hot chili, the best mild to medium chili, and the public favorite.

This should be fun.

Tags
None