"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 08-02-2005, 05:25 PM   #11
Master Chef

Can it include tomato sauce or absolutely no tomatoes at all?

Old 08-02-2005, 07:55 PM   #12
Master Chef

I made white chili once, and while the guys thought it was good, I didn't care for it.
I used turkey broth from a boiled carcass, and chopped up a big piece of the breast meat. I used Great Northern beans, onions, garlic, creamed corn, canned chilies, cumin & other spices...a lot like you all have here.
I guess I needed to give it more of a kick with the jalapenos, and I think I'll add some tomatoes next time.
In fact, I saw a ziplock of it in the freezer the other day. Think I'll get it out and "kick it up a notch"!

Old 08-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICadvisor
Does this defy the purpose of chilli....

Does anyone per chance have a chilli recipe that doesn't call for tomatoes?

Thanks all
Chicken Chili Monterey

1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium navy beans, great Northern beans, or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1-3/4 cups water
1/2 or a 4-1/2 oz. can (about 1/4 cup) diced green chile peppers
1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 to 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 6-inch corn tortillas cut into thin, bite-size strips
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese

In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion and garlic in hot oil about 4 minutes or until onion is tender; stir in the chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in beans, chicken broth, water, and chile peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken and cilantro or parsley. Heat through. Top each serving with tortilla strips and cheese. Makes four 1-1/2-cup servings.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Sierra,

Thank-you so much!!! That looks so delicious I want to stop working and get to my kitchen asap to make it The fact that it uses low fat ingredients makes it even better!

Thanks again I'll definately be making this one really soon!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #15
Executive Chef

ICadvisor - re the use of tomatoes 'defining' a chili - I think chili came from the many different types of Mexican 'stews', jumped over to 'Tex-Mex' cooking, and then went off from there. Mexico has many chili/stew type dishes that are white, green, and even some made with chocolate!

So in my mind, the answer to your question is no, tomatoes don't define the word chili.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
So in my mind, the answer to your question is no, tomatoes don't define the word chili.
Thanks marmalady, I really enjoy learning about the history behind foods! It would be quite neat to try a chilli with chocolate, but the inclusion doesn't really surprise me. I know that chocolate shows up in many savouy dishes from countries like Mexico, Spain (where I've seen it paired with rabbit of all things) and Italy

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Try this; if you don't have access to all the different chiles, just use what you have -

SPICE RACK RED CHILI WITH BEANS

lb. Ground beef
1 tsp. Celery seed
lb. Ground pork
1 T. mild chile powder blend
1 cup onion, inch dice
- 1 T. ancho chile powder*
1 cup red bell pepper, inch dice
1 tsp. Chipotle chile powder*
1 cup green bell pepper, inch dice
2 bay leaves
1-2 fresh jalapenos, minced*
1 T. ground cumin
4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1 tsp. whole cumin
- 1 T. vegetable oil
1 T. dried marjoram
1 12 oz. bottle of beer**
2 tsp. dried tarragon
2 14 oz. cans pinto beans, drained
1 tsp. coriander
cup brewed strong coffee
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 7 oz. can Ortega mild green chiles
cup chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
1 cup crushed plum tomatoes

1 14 oz. can beef stock

Mix all dry spices/herbs together in a small bowl, and set aside. In a Dutch oven or large pot , heat T. oil over medium heat. Add ground pork and ground beef and cook over medium heat until just cooked through, breaking up any large pieces. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside. Turn the heat to medium high and add the onions, jalepenos, red and green bell peppers, and garlic; saute until just soft ( 3-4 minutes), adding another T. of oil if needed. Add the dry spice mixture and cook 1 minute until the spices are fragrant. Add the meat back in to the pot and stir to mix well.

Add the beer, tomatoes, coffee, stock, green chiles, and cocoa powder. Stir well, and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add the pinto beans and simmer another 45 minutes. Add the chopped cilantro, and add more salt if needed. Remove bay leaves before serving.

* For a milder chili, use smaller quantities of these ingredients. For a really spicy chili, increase at your own risk!

** Any lager type beer I used Sam Adams.

Quantity: 2 quarts.

Servings: Makes eight 1 cup servings, or six 1 cup servings.

Tags
None