ISO- White Chicken Chili Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
Once again, my mom has asked me to keep my eyes & ears open for a white chicken chili recipe. What better place to do that than here? Thanks for all of you help! :D

Here ya go again! This got me a 3rd in a cookoff one time -

WHITE BEAN CHILI

3lb. chicken breasts
1lb. navy beans
3T oil
1 large onion
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
2 stalks celery
2 jalepenos
2 carrots
2 cans mild green chiles
2 cans chicken stock
2T White Worchestershire sauce
1-2T green jalapeno hot sauce, or 1-2 fresh chopped jalapenos

Cumin, thyme, Mexican oregano, parsley, salt/pepper, powdered bay leaf – to taste.

Cilantro to garnish.

Soak beans overnight; drain, cover with water and add small onion and 1 clove garlic. Cook til almost tender - about an hour. Remove onion and garlic from beans.

Cut chicken in pieces; in soup pot, heat to high, add oil, sear chicken pieces and remove from pan. Add 1T oil, vegetables and herbs, and saute til onions are starting to brown. Add drained beans (Save the water), chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, and chiles; bring to boil, simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add saved water from beans if needed. Season with salt and pepper.

White Chicken Chilli

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 stalks, celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 12 ounce can chicken broth
2 14 ounce cans great northern beans
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons chili powder
salt and pepper to taste.

Dice chicken breast into 1 inch cubes. Sauté in butter.
Add celery, onion, carrots and chicken broth.
Cool until tender.
Drain beans and add to vegetable and chicken mixture.
Add tomatoes, chili powder and seasoning.
Simmer 10 minutes.

*note have also cooked some bacon and used grease to replace butter,
then sprinkled crumbled bacon on top when serving.

Good Luck!

Mexican Chicken and Barley Chili

1 c chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 Tbsp oil
3 c water
½ c Medium Quaker Barley
16 oz can chopped tomatoes, undrained
16 oz can no-salt added tomato sauce
3 c chopped, cooked chicken
1 (14 ½ oz) can chicken broth
11 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
4 oz can chopped green chilies, drained
1 Tbsp chili powder
½ tsp ground cumin

In a 4 qt saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add remaining ingredients except chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover. Simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken (cooked); continue simmering 5-10 minutes or until chicken is heated through and barley is tender. Add additional water or broth if chili becomes too thick upon standing.

Egads, I'm getting hungry here!

Thank you, ladies! Methinks I will be making some this weekend...! ;)

Congrats on the placing, marmalady! May just start with yours!

Im really glad I found this thread I've been looking for a great white chilli recipe! I love that I've started checking here before google for my recipe needs :mrgreen:

Does this defy the purpose of chilli....

Does anyone per chance have a chilli recipe that doesn't call for tomatoes?

Thanks all :)

I made white chili once, and while the guys thought it was good, I didn't care for it.
I used turkey broth from a boiled carcass, and chopped up a big piece of the breast meat. I used Great Northern beans, onions, garlic, creamed corn, canned chilies, cumin & other spices...a lot like you all have here.
I guess I needed to give it more of a kick with the jalapenos, and I think I'll add some tomatoes next time.
In fact, I saw a ziplock of it in the freezer the other day. Think I'll get it out and "kick it up a notch"!

Last edited:
ICadvisor said:
Does this defy the purpose of chilli....

Does anyone per chance have a chilli recipe that doesn't call for tomatoes?

Thanks all :)

Chicken Chili Monterey

1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 15-ounce can reduced-sodium navy beans, great Northern beans, or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1-3/4 cups water
1/2 or a 4-1/2 oz. can (about 1/4 cup) diced green chile peppers
1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 to 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 6-inch corn tortillas cut into thin, bite-size strips
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese

In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion and garlic in hot oil about 4 minutes or until onion is tender; stir in the chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in beans, chicken broth, water, and chile peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken and cilantro or parsley. Heat through. Top each serving with tortilla strips and cheese. Makes four 1-1/2-cup servings.

Hi Sierra,

Thank-you so much!!! That looks so delicious I want to stop working and get to my kitchen asap to make it :mrgreen: The fact that it uses low fat ingredients makes it even better!

Thanks again I'll definately be making this one really soon!

ICadvisor - re the use of tomatoes 'defining' a chili - I think chili came from the many different types of Mexican 'stews', jumped over to 'Tex-Mex' cooking, and then went off from there. Mexico has many chili/stew type dishes that are white, green, and even some made with chocolate!

So in my mind, the answer to your question is no, tomatoes don't define the word chili.

So in my mind, the answer to your question is no, tomatoes don't define the word chili.
Thanks marmalady, I really enjoy learning about the history behind foods! It would be quite neat to try a chilli with chocolate, but the inclusion doesn't really surprise me. I know that chocolate shows up in many savouy dishes from countries like Mexico, Spain (where I've seen it paired with rabbit of all things) and Italy :)

Try this; if you don't have access to all the different chiles, just use what you have -

SPICE RACK RED CHILI WITH BEANS

¾ lb. Ground beef
1 tsp. Celery seed
¾ lb. Ground pork
1 T. mild chile powder blend
1 cup onion, ½ inch dice
½ - 1 T. ancho chile powder*
1 cup red bell pepper, ½ inch dice
1 tsp. Chipotle chile powder*
1 cup green bell pepper, ½ inch dice
2 bay leaves
1-2 fresh jalapenos, minced*
1 T. ground cumin
4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1 tsp. whole cumin
½ - 1 T. vegetable oil
1 T. dried marjoram
1 12 oz. bottle of beer**
2 tsp. dried tarragon
2 14 ½ oz. cans pinto beans, drained
1 tsp. coriander
¼ cup brewed strong coffee
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 7 oz. can Ortega mild green chiles
½ cup chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
1 cup crushed plum tomatoes

1 14 oz. can beef stock

Mix all dry spices/herbs together in a small bowl, and set aside. In a Dutch oven or large pot , heat ½ T. oil over medium heat. Add ground pork and ground beef and cook over medium heat until just cooked through, breaking up any large pieces. Remove the meat from the pot and set aside. Turn the heat to medium high and add the onions, jalepenos, red and green bell peppers, and garlic; saute until just soft ( 3-4 minutes), adding another ½ T. of oil if needed. Add the dry spice mixture and cook 1 minute until the spices are fragrant. Add the meat back in to the pot and stir to mix well.

Add the beer, tomatoes, coffee, stock, green chiles, and cocoa powder. Stir well, and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 1 hour. Add the pinto beans and simmer another 45 minutes. Add the chopped cilantro, and add more salt if needed. Remove bay leaves before serving.

* For a milder chili, use smaller quantities of these ingredients. For a really spicy chili, increase at your own risk!

** Any lager type beer – I used Sam Adams.

Quantity: 2 quarts.

Servings: Makes eight 1 cup servings, or six 1 ½ cup servings.

Back
Top Bottom