"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 09-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Funny, I put celery, onion, and green pepper (as well as many other peppers) in my chili, and I'm on the Canada border of Michigan, far from Cajun Country. I don't put andouille sausage in my chili though. I guess that must be the difference, or defining factor. Also, I tend to not use tomato sauce or paste as they can dominate the other flavors. I simply use diced tomato.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
yes i hear fresh tomato's is better to be honest I don't like working with fresh tomato's fresh tomato's make me sick lol but I can eat cooked tomato's weird I know also the other defining factor is the cayenne also this chili is still in its development stage every time i cook it I make little changes to it as to try and perfect it every time i do it comes out a little better.

yes again that particular recipe should have 3 stalks of celery I forgot to put it in there cause last night when I made it I didnt feel like chopping so I bought the premade Creole seasoning which comes already chopped and mixed

Old 09-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Thanks for sharing your recipe afterburn, appreciate you taking the time to post it.

I edited your original post to include the 1/2 lbs of fresh pork sausage and 3 stalks of celery (diced) that you said you omitted.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn25 View Post
yes i hear fresh tomato's is better to be honest I don't like working with fresh tomato's fresh tomato's make me sick lol but I can eat cooked tomato's weird I know also the other defining factor is the cayenne also this chili is still in its development stage every time i cook it I make little changes to it as to try and perfect it every time i do it comes out a little better.

yes again that particular recipe should have 3 stalks of celery I forgot to put it in there cause last night when I made it I didnt feel like chopping so I bought the premade Creole seasoning which comes already chopped and mixed
I've won a chili cookoff where I live, and I'm still not satisfied with my chili either. It wasn't until this last year that I figured out that my own chili had too much tomato flavor.

What I have to say about cooking is this - If we ever stop trying new things, or trying to improve and learn, then we might as well let someone else do all the cooking and be satisfied with whatever we're given. And judging from some of the horrific meals I've had from some people, I probably won't be ready for that in this life. That's not to say that I haven't had some pretty fabulous meals cooked by others. I have. It's just that the stinkers seem to stand out, including my own.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #14
Head Chef

Chili is something that doesn't have a recipe.

It has guidelines and even those are very loose with chili.

You also added beans and we sure as shootin' don't want to stir that hornets nest up.

You were asked why it's "Cajun" chili? In my book if you're Cajun and you made it then it's Cajun Chili. Hailing from Lafayette, LA. doesn't hurt either.

Your guidelines look good Afterburn. And anyone who fixes it would have a fine meal on there plates.

And as the Chief pointed out. Those who make it are never satisfied as is the way it should be with chili.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

i once saw and interview done on the guy that made masterpiece bbq sauce and he said it took them 10 years to make before it ever got on the market.

when it comes to cooking I am a perfectionist just ask my gf she has stopped me from throwing the whole dish out over something very minor that no one else would ever notice. I have never even measured anything before i just cook it till it tastes right. Over the last couple of years I started measuring and writing things down since I decided to make a cookbook. and help for a more consistent product.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:12 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

wow!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:38 AM   #17
Head Chef

10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles? I have everything else. Not that.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles? I have everything else. Not that.
That's a shortcut. If you have a can of tomatoes and another source of green chiles, that would work, too.

Tags
cajun, chili, recipe

John's Cajun Chili Recipe [B] Cajun Chili [/B] [INDENT] 3 lbs. fresh ground chuck 1/2 lbs of fresh pork sausage 1 can tomato paste 4 cans beans 3 cans 15 oz tomato sauce 3 med. onions (diced) 1 med green bell pepper (diced) 1 med red bell pepper (diced) 3 stalks celery (diced) 2 tsp fresh minced garlic 4 oz. vegetable oil 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles 1 1/4 Cups. chili powder 1 1/2 Cup water 2 tsp. salt 1 Tbs cajun seasoning 1/2 tsp crushed rosemary 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper 2 tsp. garlic powder 2 tsp. ground oregano 2 tsp. ground cumin Saute diced onions and bell peppers in vegetable oil until clear (soft). Add chuck and sausage; cook over high heat until meat is browned, stirring frequently. Add remaining ingredients, continue cooking at high heat for 2 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Skim off excess fat. Serves a lot Just made this today and it was yummy [/INDENT] 3 stars 1 reviews