John's Cajun Chili Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afterburn25

Assistant Cook
Cajun Chili
3 lbs. fresh ground chuck
1/2 lbs of fresh pork sausage
1 can tomato paste
4 cans beans
3 cans 15 oz tomato sauce
3 med. onions (diced)
1 med green bell pepper (diced)
1 med red bell pepper (diced)
3 stalks celery (diced)
2 tsp fresh minced garlic
4 oz. vegetable oil
10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
1 1/4 Cups. chili powder
1 1/2 Cup water
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp crushed rosemary
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. ground oregano
2 tsp. ground cumin

Saute diced onions and bell peppers in vegetable oil until clear (soft). Add chuck and sausage; cook over high heat until meat is browned, stirring frequently. Add remaining ingredients, continue cooking at high heat for 2 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Skim off excess fat. Serves a lot

Just made this today and it was yummy

Attachments

• 20140914_174415.jpg
    20140914_174415.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 720
  • 20140914_175658.jpg
    20140914_175658.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited by a moderator:
Cajun Chili
3 lbs. fresh ground chuck
1 can tomato paste
4 cans beans
3 cans 15 oz tomato sauce
3 med. onions (diced)
1 med green bell pepper (diced)
1 med red bell pepper (diced)
2 tsp fresh minced garlic
4 oz. vegetable oil
10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
1 1/4 Cups. chili powder
1 1/2 Cup water
2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp crushed rosemary
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. ground oregano
2 tsp. ground cumin

Saute diced onions and bell peppers in vegetable oil until clear (soft). Add chuck and sausage; cook over high heat until meat is browned, stirring frequently. Add remaining ingredients, continue cooking at high heat for 2 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Skim off excess fat. Serves a lot

Just made this today and it was yummy

I didn't see any mention of sausage in your ingredient list? Also, where is the celery? In a reply you made in another thread about Cajun potato salad, you wrote that it was not Cajun because it didn't have the trinity. Your chili doesn't have the trinity, so how is it Cajun?;)

Last edited:
I didn't see any mention of sausage in your ingredient list? Also, where is the celery? In a reply you made in another thread about Cajun potato salad, you wrote that it was not Cajun because it didn't have the trinity. Your chili doesn't have the trinity, so how is it Cajun?;)

The trinity aka holy trinity is the combination of celery, onion, and bell pepper that makes up the trinity as for the sausage sorry accidentally left that out.
it wont let me so ill just tell you 1/2 lbs of fresh pork sausage

Cajun Seasoning is actually the name of the seasoning

here is a picture there are many brands of Cajun seasoning I believe perfect pinch also makes one If you cant find it don't worry I also know the recipe to make it

Attachments

• cajun seasoning.jpg
    cajun seasoning.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
The trinity aka holy trinity is the combination of celery, onion, and bell pepper that makes up the trinity as for the sausage sorry accidentally left that out.

here is a picture there are many brands of Cajun seasoning I believe perfect pinch also makes one If you cant find it don't worry I also know the recipe to make it

Yes. Yes, I have.

Its just that nothing about the recipe seems remotely Cajun. That's all.

ok well what doesn't look Cajun about it

have you not heard of Cajun?

Funny, I put celery, onion, and green pepper (as well as many other peppers) in my chili, and I'm on the Canada border of Michigan, far from Cajun Country. I don't put andouille sausage in my chili though. I guess that must be the difference, or defining factor. Also, I tend to not use tomato sauce or paste as they can dominate the other flavors. I simply use diced tomato.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

And Craig's point was that you don't have CELERY in your ingredients, yet in another thread you previously wrote you needed to have the trinity in something or it wasn't Cajun. He wasn't asking what the trinity was, nor was he asking about your seasoning mix. So, is celery something else you left out?

Funny, I put celery, onion, and green pepper (as well as many other peppers) in my chili, and I'm on the Canada border of Michigan, far from Cajun Country. I don't put andouille sausage in my chili though. I guess that must be the difference, or defining factor. Also, I tend to not use tomato sauce or paste as they can dominate the other flavors. I simply use diced tomato.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

yes i hear fresh tomato's is better to be honest I don't like working with fresh tomato's fresh tomato's make me sick lol but I can eat cooked tomato's weird I know also the other defining factor is the cayenne also this chili is still in its development stage every time i cook it I make little changes to it as to try and perfect it every time i do it comes out a little better.

yes again that particular recipe should have 3 stalks of celery I forgot to put it in there cause last night when I made it I didnt feel like chopping so I bought the premade Creole seasoning which comes already chopped and mixed

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your recipe afterburn, appreciate you taking the time to post it.

I edited your original post to include the 1/2 lbs of fresh pork sausage and 3 stalks of celery (diced) that you said you omitted.

yes i hear fresh tomato's is better to be honest I don't like working with fresh tomato's fresh tomato's make me sick lol but I can eat cooked tomato's weird I know also the other defining factor is the cayenne also this chili is still in its development stage every time i cook it I make little changes to it as to try and perfect it every time i do it comes out a little better.

yes again that particular recipe should have 3 stalks of celery I forgot to put it in there cause last night when I made it I didnt feel like chopping so I bought the premade Creole seasoning which comes already chopped and mixed

I've won a chili cookoff where I live, and I'm still not satisfied with my chili either. It wasn't until this last year that I figured out that my own chili had too much tomato flavor.

What I have to say about cooking is this - If we ever stop trying new things, or trying to improve and learn, then we might as well let someone else do all the cooking and be satisfied with whatever we're given. And judging from some of the horrific meals I've had from some people, I probably won't be ready for that in this life. That's not to say that I haven't had some pretty fabulous meals cooked by others. I have. It's just that the stinkers seem to stand out, including my own.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chili is something that doesn't have a recipe.

It has guidelines and even those are very loose with chili.

You also added beans and we sure as shootin' don't want to stir that hornets nest up. :LOL:

You were asked why it's "Cajun" chili? In my book if you're Cajun and you made it then it's Cajun Chili. :rolleyes: Hailing from Lafayette, LA. doesn't hurt either. ;)

Your guidelines look good Afterburn. :yum: And anyone who fixes it would have a fine meal on there plates.

And as the Chief pointed out. Those who make it are never satisfied as is the way it should be with chili. :chef:

i once saw and interview done on the guy that made masterpiece bbq sauce and he said it took them 10 years to make before it ever got on the market.

when it comes to cooking I am a perfectionist just ask my gf she has stopped me from throwing the whole dish out over something very minor that no one else would ever notice. I have never even measured anything before i just cook it till it tastes right. Over the last couple of years I started measuring and writing things down since I decided to make a cookbook. and help for a more consistent product.

Back
Top Bottom