"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I may have posted this before.

Here is the chili I make, we call it Western Style as when I was young chili was mainly made from ground beef. This is made with cubed steak.

3 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne, makes it fairly hot. Less if you like it milder.
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons Hungarian smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 Tablespoon Salt
2 tablespoons oil
2 lb. lean beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 red bell pepper diced
1/2 green red pepper diced
1 pablano pepper diced
2 med. onions diced
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups of beef stock
2 One lb. cans of red beans
2 bay leaves

Mix first 12 ingredients in a bowl.

Heat the oil in a pan large enough to hold everything, a five quart pot might do the trick.

Just as oil starts to smoke add the meat and 4 tablespoons or so of the seasoning you mixed earlier. Stir frequently until meat begins to brown. About 4 minutes.

Add the red, green and pablano peppers along with the onion. Stir every couple of minutes, for 8 or 9 minutes, scrapping the bottom and sides as necessary.

Add the flour and a cup of the beef stock and stir vigorously.

Add the beans, juice and all. The rest of the stock and the bay leaves. Simmer until it is the consistency of chili.

Serve with chopped onion, a splash of Tabasco and a cool beer. Crumbles corn bread on top is not a bad thing.

Enjoy!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

MY CHILI RECIPE
3-1/2 Lbs. Hamburger Meat
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
3 - 10 oz. Cans Tomatoes, Juice & All
6 Tablespoons Gebhart's Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
1-1/2 Pints Water
4 Teaspoons Salt
Hot Pepper if desired
Brown Meat in skillet. Put browned meat and all other ingredients in slow cooker. Mash with
potato masher to crush tomatoes. Cook on low about 4 hours.
If you must have beans, serve pinto beans as a side dish. Don't contaminate the chili with them.
Stan

Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
Head Chef

Insted of beans in my chili I put golden /white hominy which ever I have in the pantry
ground cumin is a must, go easy with it as a little goes a long way not knowing where you live. I would use spice islands chili powder, I have been a fan of Tones chili powder for years. If you have a Sams club ant where near you they carry Tones products
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Kid's chili

My kids loved this chili, my Aunt Mickey came up with the recipe and we had it every Christmas Eve. I can eat it without staying up all night. The longer you cook it the easier it is on the digestive system. My kids still love this chili.

1 extra large can Campbells Pork N Beans (This is the largest can you can buy in a grocery store)
1 extra large can Tomato Juice
1 pound lean ground beef
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 small green pepper (cleaned and chopped)
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (this pepper is easy on the stomach believe it or not)

Fry up the hamburger, drain and wash (I wash the meat under hot water to remove the grease). Set aside. In a large pot fry the onion and green pepper until translucent. Add the hamburger, beans, tomato juice and pepper, stir to get the ingredients mixed well. This chili needs to simmer over lowest heat for at least 3 to 4 hours. The longer it simmers the better it tastes, make a day ahead of time for the best flavor.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook

get some Beano
Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thanks

I showed my other half the recipe,he seems quite interested in your version.The Irritable bowel he has he must substitute some items...and omit things all together,thanks Lynda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknox View Post
I may have posted this before.

Here is the chili I make, we call it Western Style as when I was young chili was mainly made from ground beef. This is made with cubed steak.

3 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne, makes it fairly hot. Less if you like it milder.
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons Hungarian smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 Tablespoon Salt
2 tablespoons oil
2 lb. lean beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 red bell pepper diced
1/2 green red pepper diced
1 pablano pepper diced
2 med. onions diced
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups of beef stock
2 One lb. cans of red beans
2 bay leaves

Mix first 12 ingredients in a bowl.

Heat the oil in a pan large enough to hold everything, a five quart pot might do the trick.

Just as oil starts to smoke add the meat and 4 tablespoons or so of the seasoning you mixed earlier. Stir frequently until meat begins to brown. About 4 minutes.

Add the red, green and pablano peppers along with the onion. Stir every couple of minutes, for 8 or 9 minutes, scrapping the bottom and sides as necessary.

Add the flour and a cup of the beef stock and stir vigorously.

Add the beans, juice and all. The rest of the stock and the bay leaves. Simmer until it is the consistency of chili.

Serve with chopped onion, a splash of Tabasco and a cool beer. Crumbles corn bread on top is not a bad thing.

Enjoy!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I stick a small handful of brown sugar in mine, but otherwise it's mostly the same as everyone else's.
Brian I see you have some seasonings I wouldn't have thought of, I am going to try the cinnamon, nutmeg, and coriander in it next time.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:35 AM   #18
Master Chef

This is one that was created to be very mild and appeal to kids and a strict budget:
1lb ground turkey
2 cans diced chili tomatoes
2 cans sweet corn
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 medium green pepper chopped fine
1 package taco seasoning
1tbsp chili powder
1tbsp garlic powder
Optional 2 cans chili beans

Brown ground turkey in skillet with garlic powder and chili powder. put remaining ingredients into a large pot over high heat until it starts to bubble. Add ground beef. Reduce to simmer and cover for around 45min stirring occasionally. Serve over corn bread if desired or in bowl topped with your favorite ingredients: sour cream, oyster crackers, shredded cheese, etc.

A very mild chili that I started our kids out on.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawarthagal View Post
Hi everyone.I have been looking for a decent chili recipe on the internet for quite some time.My other half seems to be really bothered by kidney beans (the gas just about kills him with gastric pain).He suffers from IBS.
I keep looking however most recipes ive found so far are far far too hot and (spicy).Can another type of bean be substituted instead??
We both prefer fairly plain foods prefering non spicy foods,mild or medium is ok.Has anyone got a fairly easy recipe without a lot of ingredients?I certainly would appreciate it.Chilis and stews are nice in the cool fall weather we now have here,thanks Lynda
get him some beano, it works .
Old 02-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

my chili recipe

My general recipe, but I change things around depending on my mood and who I'm serving.

2 lbs pork roast -- cut into 1" pieces
2 lbs cheap ground beef
1/2 cup GOOD chile powder (go to a mexican store if you can)
1 HUGE onion -- roughly chopped
1 head garlic -- minced (I like a lot of garlic
8 New Mexican green chiles -- roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped. I add other chiles (e.g., pablano, jalepeno as well, depending on how much heat I want)
1 Tbl hot Hungarian paprika
1 Tbl ground cumin 4 beef boullion cubes
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
About 1/2 bottle dark beer/stout
1/4 cup bourbon
2 squares bitter baker's chocolate -- Don't leave this out
Salt to taste

Sautee 1/4 of the garlic and onions until translucent. Add 1/4 of the meat, chile powder and brown. Salt the meat while cooking. Put into your chili pot. You can use a dutch oven or I use a crock pot and let it cook all day. Repeat until all the meat is done. If you're in a hurry, you can simply let everything simmer for an hour and then serve. I think the flavor is better when it cooks for hours (on low) in a crock pot.

Again, sometimes I throw in different herbs/spices. The amounts in the recipe are only a guideline.

Tags
None