Looking for a decent chili recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawarthagal

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone.I have been looking for a decent chili recipe on the internet for quite some time.My other half seems to be really bothered by kidney beans (the gas just about kills him with gastric pain).He suffers from IBS.:wacko:
I keep looking however most recipes ive found so far are far far too hot and (spicy).Can another type of bean be substituted instead??
We both prefer fairly plain foods prefering non spicy foods,mild or medium is ok.Has anyone got a fairly easy recipe without a lot of ingredients?I certainly would appreciate it.Chilis and stews are nice in the cool fall weather we now have here,thanks:chef: Lynda

Hi Lynda, sounds like its about as cold in Ontario as it is here in Edmonton.

Here is my chili recipe. Its pretty simple. I think you could just use Heinz brown beans instead of kidney beans. Also, just season to taste as you go, don't put too much chili powder or chiles in and you will do well.

I don't know much about IBS, but I have heard wonderful things about Beano. If you can put a couple drops in his bowl before he eats its supposed to help. I'd follow up with a couple of Ovol tablets after too. That stuff is golden.

1 lb ground meat of your choice (most like beef)
1 medium onion chopped
1 green pepper (bell pepper) chopped (optional)
2 cloves garlic minced
1 to 2 tblspns mild chili powder
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
salt and black pepper to taste
28 oz crushed tomato product or diced tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of the beans of your choice...kidney, black, rosales, or pinto, or black eye peas if you like.
method: saute onion and garlic (and green pepper) until softened, add meat in small bits and brown, add spices, herbs, and tomato product and beans (drained), stir to incorporate. cover and simmer 1 1/2 hrs to meld flavors. Stir every 20 min or so, or use the oven at 350*F

serve over rice or cornbread or Cincinatti style over spaghetti

you can make it juicier by adding more tomato
you can make it spicier by adding more chili powder
this is a very basic mild recipe
enjoy

jennyema said:
You can use any type of bean you want in chili -- or no beans at all.
I have used chick peas in my chili. It is definitly not traditional (but others would argue beans in general are not traditional), but I love chick peas and felt they worked well in my chili.

As far as the heat goes, you can always use less of the peppers or spices that are giving the chili heat. Or you can leave them out altogether.

I also have trouble with kidney beans and hot stuff in chili. So, here is what I do.
If you are in a hurry just buy a big can of pinto beans in walmart. They have a aisle that has a large quantity shelf. They have a very large can and a medium can(which is bigger and more economical than what is on the regular bean aisle) I get 2 of the medium cans). I recomend you use a very large stock pot. I then just fry up the meat, drain the oil, mix the beans and tomatoes, or I use tomato juice and a can of paste for thickness purposes. I put in some onion ,dry or fresh whichever you prefer, and some green pepper. You can then use whatever spices from your favorite chili recipe or you can go for the quickie option. Buy a couple packs of mild, medium, or hot chili packets at the store.(I use 2 mild packets, and if I want more heat I add a few drops of hot sauce(Texas Pete, or Louisiana hot sauce). I like a sweeter smoother flavor so I add 2 to 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar 5 minutes before it is done. My oldest son is 16 and a chili fanatic. He also likes it hot so I give him the hot sauce bottle with his bowl of chili and say go for itf!!!
I hope this was helpful!!!! Good luck.

Yum, chick pea is a very interesting idea, GB, surely a bit avant garde, but I am all for giving it a try!:-p
Actually in Texas though, lots of "chilli purists" considered putting any beans in chilli was something of sacrilege. (though I ignored them as I do like beans in my chilli...)
I also make very mild chilli, and I use a lot of mild paprika powder in place of cayenne or jalapeno or any kind of spicy peppers.

Hi! Welcome to DC. These are not nearly all the decent chili recipes listed on this site. Scroll down the forum listings to Soups, Stews & Casseroles.
I have heard of a five can chili recipe recently. I wonder which brands work best together. Are there five name brand chili's?

Just learned our town is going to have a chili cookoff this weekend.

It is apparently sanctioned by some chili organization (?) and it has strict entry requirements.

The two main contests are red and green chili, and neither one allows beans.

Those contests, as far as I can understand the rules, are for the serious chili chefs.

Then there is an open, free-for-all category. Apparently anyone with twenty bucks to spare can submit a dose of his or her chili, and they don't have to be a member of the chili cooker's organization. That category allows one to toss beans and anything else one might like into a bowl of red, or green, or whatever.

Shudder.

Frankly I like chili made with diced, not ground, beef and no beans. A decent steak will make a fine chili. But I am usually outvoted as to the recipe, so in go the beans with cooked ground beef and all sorts of other stuff no self respecting chili freak would ever allow into a bowl of his manna.

One of these days I am going to be all alone for an evening and am going to make a bowl of red the way I want it to be.

But in response to the posited question, and as people have stated, beans do not have to be in chili at all.

And, to iterate, there are those among us who prefer the dish that way.

But you can always serve the beans on the side, kinda spiced up, and people can toss the stuff into their chili if they want to.

And although I like a bowl of red just the way God intended it to be (sorry, but someone had to say it), I hate to admit but I will, when pressed, serve it mixed with pasta, not too bad, or over rice. The guilt lays heavily on my shoulders.

I have been a chili apostate, I hate to say it, and will probably chili sin again.

Time to call the doc about upping my medication, I fear.

Take care, and God bless.

I may have posted this before.

Here is the chili I make, we call it Western Style as when I was young chili was mainly made from ground beef. This is made with cubed steak.

3 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne, makes it fairly hot. Less if you like it milder.
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons Hungarian smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 Tablespoon Salt
2 tablespoons oil
2 lb. lean beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 red bell pepper diced
1/2 green red pepper diced
1 pablano pepper diced
2 med. onions diced
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups of beef stock
2 One lb. cans of red beans
2 bay leaves

Mix first 12 ingredients in a bowl.

Heat the oil in a pan large enough to hold everything, a five quart pot might do the trick.

Just as oil starts to smoke add the meat and 4 tablespoons or so of the seasoning you mixed earlier. Stir frequently until meat begins to brown. About 4 minutes.

Add the red, green and pablano peppers along with the onion. Stir every couple of minutes, for 8 or 9 minutes, scrapping the bottom and sides as necessary.

Add the flour and a cup of the beef stock and stir vigorously.

Add the beans, juice and all. The rest of the stock and the bay leaves. Simmer until it is the consistency of chili.

Serve with chopped onion, a splash of Tabasco and a cool beer. Crumbles corn bread on top is not a bad thing.

Enjoy!

MY CHILI RECIPE
3-1/2 Lbs. Hamburger Meat
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
3 - 10 oz. Cans Tomatoes, Juice & All
6 Tablespoons Gebhart's Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin
1-1/2 Pints Water
4 Teaspoons Salt
Hot Pepper if desired
Brown Meat in skillet. Put browned meat and all other ingredients in slow cooker. Mash with
potato masher to crush tomatoes. Cook on low about 4 hours.
If you must have beans, serve pinto beans as a side dish. Don't contaminate the chili with them.
Stan

Insted of beans in my chili I put golden /white hominy which ever I have in the pantry
ground cumin is a must, go easy with it as a little goes a long way not knowing where you live. I would use spice islands chili powder, I have been a fan of Tones chili powder for years. If you have a Sams club ant where near you they carry Tones products

Kid's chili

My kids loved this chili, my Aunt Mickey came up with the recipe and we had it every Christmas Eve. I can eat it without staying up all night. The longer you cook it the easier it is on the digestive system. My kids still love this chili.

1 extra large can Campbells Pork N Beans (This is the largest can you can buy in a grocery store)
1 extra large can Tomato Juice
1 pound lean ground beef
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 small green pepper (cleaned and chopped)
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (this pepper is easy on the stomach believe it or not)

Fry up the hamburger, drain and wash (I wash the meat under hot water to remove the grease). Set aside. In a large pot fry the onion and green pepper until translucent. Add the hamburger, beans, tomato juice and pepper, stir to get the ingredients mixed well. This chili needs to simmer over lowest heat for at least 3 to 4 hours. The longer it simmers the better it tastes, make a day ahead of time for the best flavor.

Thanks

I showed my other half the recipe,he seems quite interested in your version.The Irritable bowel he has he must substitute some items...and omit things all together,thanks Lynda

I may have posted this before.

Here is the chili I make, we call it Western Style as when I was young chili was mainly made from ground beef. This is made with cubed steak.

3 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne, makes it fairly hot. Less if you like it milder.
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons Hungarian smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 Tablespoon Salt
2 tablespoons oil
2 lb. lean beef cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 red bell pepper diced
1/2 green red pepper diced
1 pablano pepper diced
2 med. onions diced
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups of beef stock
2 One lb. cans of red beans
2 bay leaves

Mix first 12 ingredients in a bowl.

Heat the oil in a pan large enough to hold everything, a five quart pot might do the trick.

Just as oil starts to smoke add the meat and 4 tablespoons or so of the seasoning you mixed earlier. Stir frequently until meat begins to brown. About 4 minutes.

Add the red, green and pablano peppers along with the onion. Stir every couple of minutes, for 8 or 9 minutes, scrapping the bottom and sides as necessary.

Add the flour and a cup of the beef stock and stir vigorously.

Add the beans, juice and all. The rest of the stock and the bay leaves. Simmer until it is the consistency of chili.

Serve with chopped onion, a splash of Tabasco and a cool beer. Crumbles corn bread on top is not a bad thing.

Enjoy!

I stick a small handful of brown sugar in mine, but otherwise it's mostly the same as everyone else's.
Brian I see you have some seasonings I wouldn't have thought of, I am going to try the cinnamon, nutmeg, and coriander in it next time.

This is one that was created to be very mild and appeal to kids and a strict budget:
1lb ground turkey
2 cans diced chili tomatoes
2 cans sweet corn
1 medium onion chopped fine
1 medium green pepper chopped fine
1 package taco seasoning
1tbsp chili powder
1tbsp garlic powder
Optional 2 cans chili beans

Brown ground turkey in skillet with garlic powder and chili powder. put remaining ingredients into a large pot over high heat until it starts to bubble. Add ground beef. Reduce to simmer and cover for around 45min stirring occasionally. Serve over corn bread if desired or in bowl topped with your favorite ingredients: sour cream, oyster crackers, shredded cheese, etc.

A very mild chili that I started our kids out on.

Hi everyone.I have been looking for a decent chili recipe on the internet for quite some time.My other half seems to be really bothered by kidney beans (the gas just about kills him with gastric pain).He suffers from IBS.:wacko:
I keep looking however most recipes ive found so far are far far too hot and (spicy).Can another type of bean be substituted instead??
We both prefer fairly plain foods prefering non spicy foods,mild or medium is ok.Has anyone got a fairly easy recipe without a lot of ingredients?I certainly would appreciate it.Chilis and stews are nice in the cool fall weather we now have here,thanks:chef: Lynda
get him some beano, it works .

my chili recipe

My general recipe, but I change things around depending on my mood and who I'm serving.

2 lbs pork roast -- cut into 1" pieces
2 lbs cheap ground beef
1/2 cup GOOD chile powder (go to a mexican store if you can)
1 HUGE onion -- roughly chopped
1 head garlic -- minced (I like a lot of garlic
8 New Mexican green chiles -- roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped. I add other chiles (e.g., pablano, jalepeno as well, depending on how much heat I want)
1 Tbl hot Hungarian paprika
1 Tbl ground cumin 4 beef boullion cubes
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
About 1/2 bottle dark beer/stout
1/4 cup bourbon
2 squares bitter baker's chocolate -- Don't leave this out
Salt to taste

Sautee 1/4 of the garlic and onions until translucent. Add 1/4 of the meat, chile powder and brown. Salt the meat while cooking. Put into your chili pot. You can use a dutch oven or I use a crock pot and let it cook all day. Repeat until all the meat is done. If you're in a hurry, you can simply let everything simmer for an hour and then serve. I think the flavor is better when it cooks for hours (on low) in a crock pot.

Again, sometimes I throw in different herbs/spices. The amounts in the recipe are only a guideline.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom