"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 11-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I like to add, I'm not going to use canned tomatoes, I'm going to use plum tomatoes and puree them in the food processor.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
Head Chef

looks like you found the other thread...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I did, And I'm wondering how many chipotli chilies to add to my chili. I want to hot but I don't want it too hot where you can't eat it.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
Head Chef

that would be a matter of personal taste. One can get the taste without the heat by simply using smoked paprika.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would suggest a conservative amount of 1-2 chipotles to a 6 cup batch of chili...but then I am a light-weight when it comes to hot foods.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
that would be a matter of personal taste. One can get the taste without the heat by simply using smoked paprika.
Thank you Wyogal, I've actully used Smoked Paprika in my chili base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would suggest a conservative amount of 1-2 chipotles to a 6 cup batch of chili...but then I am a light-weight when it comes to hot foods.
That's pretty much what I'ved I used 1 chipotles in my chili recipe and it's really hot, but I've also added ancho chili powder along with normal chili powder.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
That's pretty much what I'ved I used 1 chipotles in my chili recipe and it's really hot, but I've also added ancho chili powder along with normal chili powder.
I found ground chipotles at my bulk food store. I bought maybe 6 tablespoons worth and it's lasted me a long time. Chipotles are pretty potent. But, I also keep several cans of them in adobo sauce in my pantry.

While on vacation in eastern Wyoming (Torrington, Wyogal!) I couldn't find chipotles in adobo on the store shelves. Luckily I had brought the chipotle powder, it changed the appearance of my mango salsa, but not the taste! Truth time, it wasn't mango salsa either, it turned into peach salsa because I couldn't find mangos...LOL

Back on topic...I've tried just about every chili powder, smoked paprika, fresh chilies, you name it and the only chili that didn't turn out wonderful was the time I let DH talk me into using pork and beans in a pot of chili...even he hated it.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I found ground chipotles at my bulk food store. I bought maybe 6 tablespoons worth and it's lasted me a long time. Chipotles are pretty potent. But, I also keep several cans of them in adobo sauce in my pantry.

While on vacation in eastern Wyoming (Torrington, Wyogal!) I couldn't find chipotles in adobo on the store shelves. Luckily I had brought the chipotle powder, it changed the appearance of my mango salsa, but not the taste! Truth time, it wasn't mango salsa either, it turned into peach salsa because I couldn't find mangos...LOL

Back on topic...I've tried just about every chili powder, smoked paprika, fresh chilies, you name it and the only chili that didn't turn out wonderful was the time I let DH talk me into using pork and beans in a pot of chili...even he hated it.
That's pretty darn funny.

Peach salsa you say? Oh I don't like peach anything.

I find peaches are gross and the peace flavor gross, no matter what the flavor is in.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #19
Head Chef

Well, that would be Torrington, we have it in all our grocery stores here! ;p
Interesting place to pick for a vacation, must have been visiting family...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
That's pretty darn funny.

Peach salsa you say? Oh I don't like peach anything.

I find peaches are gross and the peace flavor gross, no matter what the flavor is in.
Yeah, now he doesn't try to talk me into odd things. And I did honestly try to make the pork and beans into a good chili.

Peaches were my only choice and everyone enjouyed them, but if you don't like peaches...the original was supposed to be mangoes. I try to buy 1 over ripe and 1 just ripe mago to chop so there are different textures to the salsa...I was lucky and Mom had some over ripe peaches. Personally, I won't eat canned peaches, too sweet, but fresh peaches...yum!

Tags
None