Making chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
Hi everyone,

I've made chilli before and I know how to make it pretty well.

But I'm wondering how I can make my chilli better?

I'm also wondering if I can use 2 pounds of ground lamb with 1 chirzo tube or a half tomake it a little bit spicy?

"Better" can be subjective. Just keep experimenting until you get it the way YOU like it!

There is another thread asking this very same question. Except that poster gave their recipe so that we could be specific. You may want to check that thread for suggestions.
nope, don't like lamb, wouldn't put it in chili. Elk is good in chili.

Hadn't thought of lamb, but sounds interesting and the chorizo sounds great. DH hates lamb so I probably wouldn't try it...of course I could make it just for me, mine...all mine! :)

There is another thread asking this very same question. Except that poster gave their recipe so that we could be specific. You may want to check that thread for suggestions.
nope, don't like lamb, wouldn't put it in chili. Elk is good in chili.
I didn't know there was another post about this, If I did know I would have asked in there to keep the bandwidth down.

At least you didn't get into beans vs no beans :LOL:
To answer your statement, I figure if some one wants beans in there chilli by all means put them in there, for me I love beans when they're done right!

Hadn't thought of lamb, but sounds interesting and the chorizo sounds great. DH hates lamb so I probably wouldn't try it...of course I could make it just for me, mine...all mine! :)
Yuppers, just a little heat goes a long ways in meats it seems.

I'm thinking about making some chilli with ground lamb and black beans but I will let the beans soak for 1-2 day's though. Tonight after grochy shopping I'm trying a ladies recipe on tomato soup though.

Yuppers, just a little heat goes a long ways in meats it seems.

I'm thinking about making some chilli with ground lamb and black beans but I will let the beans soak for 1-2 day's though. Tonight after grochy shopping I'm trying a ladies recipe on tomato soup though.

I make my own chorizo, although I'm too lazy to grind my own meat. Lamb and black beans sounds good, so does the tomato soup...now I'm all hungry for chili :pig:! But, I better got to bed so I can work tonight!:angel:

I make my own chorizo, although I'm too lazy to grind my own meat. Lamb and black beans sounds good, so does the tomato soup...now I'm all hungry for chili :pig:! But, I better got to bed so I can work tonight!:angel:
Take it easy PF, Yeah I made my self hungry for chilli, lol!

Right now I got my beans soaking for overnight.

that would be a matter of personal taste. One can get the taste without the heat by simply using smoked paprika.

I would suggest a conservative amount of 1-2 chipotles to a 6 cup batch of chili...but then I am a light-weight when it comes to hot foods.

that would be a matter of personal taste. One can get the taste without the heat by simply using smoked paprika.
Thank you Wyogal, I've actully used Smoked Paprika in my chili base.

I would suggest a conservative amount of 1-2 chipotles to a 6 cup batch of chili...but then I am a light-weight when it comes to hot foods.
That's pretty much what I'ved I used 1 chipotles in my chili recipe and it's really hot, but I've also added ancho chili powder along with normal chili powder.

That's pretty much what I'ved I used 1 chipotles in my chili recipe and it's really hot, but I've also added ancho chili powder along with normal chili powder.

I found ground chipotles at my bulk food store. I bought maybe 6 tablespoons worth and it's lasted me a long time. Chipotles are pretty potent. But, I also keep several cans of them in adobo sauce in my pantry.

While on vacation in eastern Wyoming (Torrington, Wyogal!) I couldn't find chipotles in adobo on the store shelves. Luckily I had brought the chipotle powder, it changed the appearance of my mango salsa, but not the taste! Truth time, it wasn't mango salsa either, it turned into peach salsa because I couldn't find mangos...LOL

Back on topic...I've tried just about every chili powder, smoked paprika, fresh chilies, you name it and the only chili that didn't turn out wonderful was the time I let DH talk me into using pork and beans in a pot of chili...even he hated it.:LOL:

I found ground chipotles at my bulk food store. I bought maybe 6 tablespoons worth and it's lasted me a long time. Chipotles are pretty potent. But, I also keep several cans of them in adobo sauce in my pantry.

While on vacation in eastern Wyoming (Torrington, Wyogal!) I couldn't find chipotles in adobo on the store shelves. Luckily I had brought the chipotle powder, it changed the appearance of my mango salsa, but not the taste! Truth time, it wasn't mango salsa either, it turned into peach salsa because I couldn't find mangos...LOL

Back on topic...I've tried just about every chili powder, smoked paprika, fresh chilies, you name it and the only chili that didn't turn out wonderful was the time I let DH talk me into using pork and beans in a pot of chili...even he hated it.:LOL:
That's pretty darn funny.

Peach salsa you say? Oh I don't like peach anything.

I find peaches are gross and the peace flavor gross, no matter what the flavor is in.

Well, that would be Torrington, we have it in all our grocery stores here! ;p
Interesting place to pick for a vacation, must have been visiting family...

That's pretty darn funny.

Peach salsa you say? Oh I don't like peach anything.

I find peaches are gross and the peace flavor gross, no matter what the flavor is in.

Yeah, now he doesn't try to talk me into odd things. And I did honestly try to make the pork and beans into a good chili.

Peaches were my only choice and everyone enjouyed them, but if you don't like peaches...the original was supposed to be mangoes. I try to buy 1 over ripe and 1 just ripe mago to chop so there are different textures to the salsa...I was lucky and Mom had some over ripe peaches. Personally, I won't eat canned peaches, too sweet, but fresh peaches...yum!

Back
Top Bottom