"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili
Old 03-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #21
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by mudbug
very nice, jonny. I don't usually put corn in mine but you make it look good.
Well i added the corn to give more colour to the dish and it also added a nice texture with the kidney beans.

Im not sure i would change anything in this recipe except maybe the amount of chilli powder as the addition of Ajika makes it pretty spicy on its own. Not sure how widely available Ajika is as im in Moscow and its a Georgian recipe but im sure it can be made pretty easily.

If anybody trys this recipe i look forward to their comments. Also any comments as to my choice of ingredients are welcomed.

jonnyjonny_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
Executive Chef
Looks good Johnney I dont usually see corn in chili and the mushrooms I have never ever seen in a chili I think you are wasting them on this dish.Another thing to know is there are many,many kinds of chili what you are making looks like a Texas Chili which is good indeed another Texas favorite is to make the chili without beans.On the other hand New Mexico Chili is entirely different including red or green chili and even more different in different parts of the state and country.
Maybe we can bring up the chili debate here again to really confuse you.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #23
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Barb L.
I make a fairly mild chili, (when grandson will be eating) chili powder to me is more a flavor, unless you buy the hot chili powder. But it is a needed flavor along with cumin. Hubby adds the hot when he is served.
Same here. I also get a lot of flavor from using Bush's Chili Hot Beans (which aren't really hot), sauce and all. Hunt's makes Chili Hot Beans, too, but I don't care fore them. They are, IMO, greasy.
Another good flavor addition, is to cook a roll of mild pork breakfast sausage along with your ground chuck. And don't forget to use a bit of oregano and a lot of garlic.

Spicy doesn't always mean, "Blow your head off!"
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #24
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
ASDA do a mild chili powder which is very very mild. And tasty. I use that.

I chop up fresh chilis and serve them in a bowl for my other half, who likes it hot, or serve some chili sauce on the side.

kyles is offline   Reply With Quote