"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 03-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Mild Chili

I want to attempt my first chilli con carne and would like some advice as to the heat of the dish as my gf will only eat it very mild. Looking at the recipes a very generous amount of chilli powder is used which i guess gives it the flavour as well so how do i make a mild chilli without distracting from the flavour?

Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I make a fairly mild chili, (when grandson will be eating) chili powder to me is more a flavor, unless you buy the hot chili powder. But it is a needed flavor along with cumin. Hubby adds the hot when he is served. We sprinkle grated cheese and diced swt. onions just before eating - yum. Hope this helps a litte, just a Grandma cookin' not a Chef ! Let us know how it turns out, and if GF enjoyed it.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Sous Chef

How about using Ancho chili powder? Ancho is readily available now. I get mine at Penzey's but I've seen it in the spice aisle. If you are not familiar with Ancho it is a pure chili powder, (not a blend) made from dried poblano peppers. It is fairly mild and packed with flavor. Typical chili powders are a blend of chili powder(many times Ancho), cayenne, cumin, and sometimes mexican oregano.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Ancho chile powder can be "hot" to us wimpy folk. Commercial chili powders are a blend of spices and really don't tend to be hot at all.
I suggest using a bit of a commercial chili powder and then adding cumin which is sort of the "real" flavor in chili to me. It isn't hot but very distinctive. And then you could also "inch up" and use some ancho powder. I like New Mexico chile powder--which I am pretty sure is ancho. It is now fairly readily available on the spice aisle.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Head Chef

If you are in UK and wanting to use a pre mixed chili spice in a jar they come in mild, medum and HOT! I, following a couple of DC recipes have started making my own and really, because DH does not like it TOO hot, I go heavy on the cumin light on the chile. If by any chance my hands slip or I miss judge heat, we find serving over white rice and with a big dollop of plain white yogurt is delicious. Not traditional, the yogurt, but really really yummy!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
...I like New Mexico chile powder--which I am pretty sure is ancho. It is now fairly readily available on the spice aisle.
I believe New Mexico chile powder is made from New Mexico Chiles.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace
How about using Ancho chili powder? Ancho is readily available now. I get mine at Penzey's but I've seen it in the spice aisle. If you are not familiar with Ancho it is a pure chili powder, (not a blend) made from dried poblano peppers. It is fairly mild and packed with flavor. Typical chili powders are a blend of chili powder(many times Ancho), cayenne, cumin, and sometimes mexican oregano.

Spelling is important here.

Chile powder refers to powdered chile peppers. Ancho chile powder from Ancho peppers, etc.

Chili powder, as PytnPlace said, is a blend of several spices including chile powder, oregano, cumin and varying amounts of a hot pepper powder to add heat.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
My chili is very mild, no cayenne or jalapeno or anything like that. I season my chili with generous dose of hungarian mild paprika powder, cumin, ground coriander seed, black and red pepper (they are bright red coloured peppercorns, not to be confused with red hot chili pepper...), garlic, and splash of beer. I also add finely chopped bell pepper and fresh tomatoes which give a nice flavour as well. It is quite a big hit with just about everyone.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Master Chef

When you make the recipe, start with half the chili powder called for. You can always add more if needed. You can also sweeten it a bit with Hershey's choclate sauce or grape jelly. Both work and give different flavors to the chili. We serve ours over rice or cornbread and add grated cheddar and/or sour cream. All these things will help to cut the "hot".
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

some advice

That's funny--I made chili last night and in fact took a bunch of pictures and wrote up the recipe because many friends and family members have asked about it. It's my own recipe that I have heavily modified over the years from the New Basics Cookbook (in fact it's one of the first meals I learned how to cook). I like it spicy, but I think chili is so versatile it would be easy to tone it down. Experimentation is key and don't be afraid. As I said I have made many, many changes to my recipe and I'm usually one to follow directions to the T. I agree with other posters to cut down on the chili powder and keep the cumin. You can always add more as the chili cooks if it's not spicy enough. I add chicken broth to my chili and I bet that would help too. I also always add sour cream to cut the heat a bit. Good luck! Here's my recipe if you want to check it out--if links work here (link goes to a photo sharing site where I have my pics, no reg necessary to take a look): Unhandled Exception

Tags
None