Please critique this recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Please critique this recipe that I'm using for a chili cook-off tomorrow. There are a few things I'm substituting...I'm only using 2 different kinds of chile powder, and one kind of dried chili pepper, but still using the correct quantities of each.

Few questions:
1. How much chili do you think this will yield? The recipe didn't say.
2. NINE tablespoons of chili powder!! That sounds like an awful lot, don't you think?
3. Should I boil and puree the whole dried chilies? They're kinda big, and they still have seeds in them. If so, how long to boil them do you think?

I appreciate all the help I can get!

2 teaspoons oil
3 pounds tri-tip beef, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can beef broth
1/4 teaspoon oregano
3 tablespoon cumin
7 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons Gebhardt(R); chile powder
1 tablespoon hot chile powder
1 tablespoon mild chile power
5 tablespoons red chile powder
1 can (8 ounces) Tomato Sauce
1 can (10 ounces) Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
3 Dried California chile peppers, boiled and pureed
1 Dried New Mexico chile peppers, boiled and pureed
5 Dried Cascabel chile peppers, boiled and pureed
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can chicken broth
1 teaspoon Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
juice of one lime
salt to taste

Instructions: Heat oil in a pot, and brown the beef. Add the onion and beef broth to cover the meat. Boil for 15 minutes. Add oregano and half of the cumin. Reduce heat to a light boil, and then add the garlic. Combine the chile powders into a mixture, then add half of that mixture, and cook 15 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and Ro*Tel with the puree from the dried peppers. Add the chicken broth for the desired consistency. Cook for one hour, stirring often. Add the remaining chile powder mixture and the remaining cumin, and simmer for another 25 minutes on low to medium heat. Turn up the heat to a light boil, and add the Tabasco, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, lime juice and salt.

Last edited:
Chili is a dish made of meat and peppers so, no, that's not too much.

Boil some water, add the dry chiles and leave them to soak off the heat for 30 minutes. You may have to weight them down as they might float. You can cut open the dry chiles and shake out the seeds. Its easier when they are dry. Afterwards, I would puree and strain them. The Cascabels especially, have a super tough skin. Most unappetizing in a spoonful of chili.

Chili is a dish made of meat and peppers so, no, that's not too much.

Boil some water, add the dry chiles and leave them to soak off the heat for 30 minutes. You may have to weight them down as they might float. You can cut open the dry chiles and shake out the seeds. Its easier when they are dry. Afterwards, I would puree and strain them. The Cascabels especially, have a super tough skin. Most unappetizing in a spoonful of chili.

Well, like I had mentioned, I'm going to be using one kind of chile...but with the same amount as the recipe calls for. It's going to be the plain old "dried chili pepper" that most grocery stores sell, so I hope they give enough depth of flavor.

I was just concerned that 9 tablespoons of chili powder, along with 9 pureed chili peppers was just too much flavor/heat...

Can I puree in my food processor? I thought that term only applied to blenders..

You mentioned browning the sausage, but I don't see sausage in your recipe; What kind and how much are you using?
If I were making this chili, I would add more tomato product...one or two cans of regular diced tomatoes, and a little can of tomato paste. I would also add some chopped sweet peppers to go along with the hot ones.
I think 9 tablespoons of chili powder is an awful lot, especially with all those hot peppers. Why don't you start off with about half that, then add more as your taste dictates?
If you add the extra tomatoes, I'm guessing you'll get around 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of chili.

You mentioned browning the sausage, but I don't see sausage in your recipe; What kind and how much are you using?
If I were making this chili, I would add more tomato product...one or two cans of regular diced tomatoes, and a little can of tomato paste. I would also add some chopped sweet peppers to go along with the hot ones.
I think 9 tablespoons of chili powder is an awful lot, especially with all those hot peppers. Why don't you start off with about half that, then add more as your taste dictates?
If you add the extra tomatoes, I'm guessing you'll get around 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of chili.

I forgot to take that part off about the sausage...it called for half a pound of breakfast sausage, but I'm not using it. I agree that it could use more tomatoes, though.

Chave, I always use a roll of hot breakfast sausage in my chili, and I think it adds a lot. I don't use that many hot peppers, though. Still, you might consider using some. The beef has so little fat, that I think adding some pork product will add to the flavor.

That doesn't seem like enough tomatoes and I will have to agree, the sausage will give you some much needed fat in your dish and fat is flavor. Cooking at home and watching the fat you put in it is one thing. Cooking for a competition you have to let that theory fly out the window.

Did you say what chili powder you're using?

I'd say this recipe will make about 20 or so cups of chili? This is an uneducated guess BTW.

Also, I notice a can of Ro*Tel in the method but not in your ingredients. I also believe that will give another layer of great flavor, especially if you get the one with lime, onion, and cilantro.

All these ingredients are only going to be "together" in one pot for 25 minutes? I'm talking about after everything is in the pot.

Chave, I always use a roll of hot breakfast sausage in my chili, and I think it adds a lot. I don't use that many hot peppers, though. Still, you might consider using some. The beef has so little fat, that I think adding some pork product will add to the flavor.

Hmm...will maybe give it a try, then. But it's only calling for 6 oz. of sausage for 3 lbs. of beef...so I figured it wouldn't be really adding that much anyways.

Hmm...will maybe give it a try, then. But it's only calling for 6 oz. of sausage for 3 lbs. of beef...so I figured it wouldn't be really adding that much anyways.

I would add at least 1/2 of it. It will still add a layer of flavor that I think you need.

I would exchange one of the stocks for a bottle of beer. Probably
a nice Saranac Black and Tan or other dark beer. I am a fan of
beer in chili. :)

I like to add my spices to the meat before I add the liquids.

YES! This is a must. Adding spices after you add the liquids in a chili is like seasoning food after it's done cooking imo. But then again, the highest I've ever placed in a chili competition is 3rd overall. I expect to do better next time though, as my chili cooking is ever improving as I learn.

Also, this is personal preference but I like beans in my chili. Flame away!:ROFLMAO:

YES! This is a must. Adding spices after you add the liquids in a chili is like seasoning food after it's done cooking imo. But then again, the highest I've ever placed in a chili competition is 3rd overall. I expect to do better next time though, as my chili cooking is ever improving as I learn.

Also, this is personal preference but I like beans in my chili. Flame away!:ROFLMAO:

Surprisingly, this chili cook-off, along with most others (including the International Chili Cook-Off, does not allow beans in the chili.

I'd use New Mexico for the hot chili powder, and ancho for the mild. I'd also add an amount of sweet paprika equal to the cumin, and I would use at least three, perhaps four, different kinds of meat: Beef, pork, veal, lamb, and maybe goat. Buy whole roasts and cut them up into small cubes. I'd use 1 lb beef, and 1/2 pounds of the pork, veal, lamb, and goat, or 1-1/2 lb beef, and 1/2 lb of the pork, veal, and lamb, if you're gonna leave out the goat. Too bad you're in Pennsylvania. Armadillo meat makes for a first prize winner every time! Snake is also popular in the southwest, but it's an acquired taste.

chave - as you can see we've got plenty of ideas! :LOL:

If you take the suggestions that come up most often I think you have your answers as to how to improve the flavor.

Caine - goat is so tender, I wish I could get it here! I LOVE curried goat!

Find a Latino or Pilipino meat market. They can't live without goat. A Middle Eastern meat market should carry it also.

I don't particularly like chili (sorry), but it seems to me that using the different types of chili powder can only make for a more nuanced flavor.

Sometimes a small amount of something (like the sausage) goes a very long way. People can just barely taste it and may not be able to identify it, and that makes them go Hmmmm. Which makes your dish memorable :)

Surprisingly, this chili cook-off, along with most others (including the International Chili Cook-Off, does not allow beans in the chili.

Yeah, I guess I've never been in a serious contest like that. Mine are more for fun. But I am serious about my chili nonetheless. I'll have to try a batch without beans sometime.

Back
Top Bottom