Please help me improve my chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An old tradition in Texas is to cook the beans separate, then use the liquor for the liquid in cooking the chili/meat sauce. You put the beans in the bottom of the bowl and top it with chili.

For an interesting pickup, try using red wine vinegar when cooking the meat. I've used corn, nm chilies , unsweetened chocolate; have fun. Also, chili makes a great topping for Frito Pie; especially if you use chili flavored Fritoes. haha

A habanero a day keeps the pain away.
-gralan (it's never too chilly for chile in chili)

Last edited:
so many variations. use different beans, add chipotle peppers in adobo, use some broth or even beer in addition to your tomato product. Corn and or hominy are great additoins as are nuts like cashews added toward the end. Change up your meat to meatloaf mix or ground pork. Make a green chicken chili with salsa verde and tomatilloes. Have a good time creating many variations. You can always come back to your standard.

An old tradition in Texas is to cook the beans separate, then use the liquor for the liquid in cooking the chili/meat sauce. You put the beans in the bottom of the bowl and top it with chili.

For an interesting pickup, try using red wine vinegar when cooking the meat. I've used corn, nm chilies , unsweetened chocolate; have fun. Also, chili makes a great topping for Frito Pie; especially if you use chili flavored Fritoes. haha

A habanero a day keeps the pain away.
-gralan (it's never too chilly for chile in chili)
I love that saying. "A habanero a day keeps the pain away!

so many variations. use different beans, add chipotle peppers in adobo, use some broth or even beer in addition to your tomato product. Corn and or hominy are great additoins as are nuts like cashews added toward the end. Change up your meat to meatloaf mix or ground pork. Make a green chicken chili with salsa verde and tomatilloes. Have a good time creating many variations. You can always come back to your standard.
Good point. about the chipotle in adobe sauce.

Well, my chili won 3rd place in the cook-off!

We had a great night. My BIL won 2nd place and my SIL took 3rd in the desert competition. We had the winningest table in the joint :) ... and I'm still full LOL.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feel free to keep them coming. I want to keep changing things... hoping to get 1st next year ;)

I don't think I've ever made the same pot of chili twice. It always changes and evolves. Right now I'm loving pork chili with tomatillos and cannelini beans.

I don't think I've ever made the same pot of chili twice...

Me neither. I have a basic recipe in my head, but in practice it changes with what I have on hand. My "impromptu chili" has turned out some of the very best chili I've ever had, and it's turned out not-so-hot, flavor-wise, but it's always an adventure. :LOL: For me, that's the fun of it!

And JCV, congratulations! :chef:

Glad it turned out JVC, OMG, my chili ROCKS.

I'll have pics up tomorrow but I'll post a teaser pic of the chili process.

720641986_JcDv5-X3.jpg

Those must be the black beans cooking. Love the cast iron.

And Congratulations JCV on your win!:chef:
PF, you are correct. They simmered for 3 hours and they cooked in the slow cooker for another 3 hours.

As soon as I get my mem stick back from my mother I will post the rest of the pictures, I've made a few changes to the recipe I used from all recipes.

saute the onion and celery (either with a bit of the fat from the beef or with olive oil) with the spices to help develop the flavors before adding the rest of the ingredients. That should take about 10 minutes.

saute the onion and celery (either with a bit of the fat from the beef or with olive oil) with the spices to help develop the flavors before adding the rest of the ingredients. That should take about 10 minutes.
That's exactually what I've done. When I did this with the Olive oil and I've added the anchos chili powder and sauted them and then I've added the lamb & chorizo!

That's exactually what I've done. When I did this with the Olive oil and I've added the anchos chili powder and sauted them and then I've added the lamb & chorizo!

I can't stand it anymore...I have a quick chili cooking on the stove right now and will package it up for work tonight. I got caught without a meal for tonight, since I'm working an extra shift. I got home and grabbed some hamburger, chopped some onion and started cooking. Next a can of pintos beans, rinsed and a good chili powder mix that I don't have to add anything to. Some corn chips and cheese and I'm set. Now I have to wait until tonight to taste it!

It's a chili powder mix from Chugwater, Wyoming, also located in the southeastern part of the state.

It's a chili powder mix from Chugwater, Wyoming, also located in the southeastern part of the state.

Mom drives through Chugwater about twice a month, I'll have her look for it, I'm a sucker for chili and chili spice mixes.

you can add small chopped pepper, that will make it great chili to alot of dish.

Back
Top Bottom