"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I almost always cook the bacon before adding it to a recipe. For my taste buds it brings up the flavor. Let us know how it turns out. Bacon, some thing sweet and using white beans sounds very interesting for chili beans.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've added a touch of molasses to chili, as well as cocoa powder or brown sugar. Not all in the same batch, though.
I have seen many recipes call for the addition of the chocolate flavor. So it would make sense to me, that since cocoa is bitter by itself, you would have to add dark brown sugar and/or molasses. But if you are going to add both, remember dark brown sugar has a lot of molasses in it. So common sense says to me to cut back on the molasses.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I have seen many recipes call for the addition of the chocolate flavor. So it would make sense to me, that since cocoa is bitter by itself, you would have to add dark brown sugar and/or molasses. But if you are going to add both, remember dark brown sugar has a lot of molasses in it. So common sense says to me to cut back on the molasses.
As I said, Addie, I don't use them all in one batch, just one of the three. I do really like the taste unsweetened cocoa adds. Someone (Zhizara?) here also mentioned that peanut butter adds a nice depth to chili.

No two chilis I've ever made are the same....
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Before I read your added comments, this is what I was busy writing. Now, I am not so sure if this is entirely helpful. I wonder if she added achiote or annatto.

I always heard you should not add salt when cooking dry beans until the beans have softened ( cooked). I almost always stick a ham bone in with some great northern or dry beans after their soak or with split peas. Never give it a 2nd thought and they turn out great. I often add strips of bacon across the top when making baked beans, albeit usually doctored up can beans/ mix beans. Itís been awhile since I made real baked beans from scratch. Still, my recipes are about the same. Allow the beans to soak or give them a minute to boil and sit covered for an hour to speed things up. With real bake beans, I first start with cut up bacon, which get push down in the beans when it comes time to add more liquid and finish w/ more bacon on top. I should do this more often!! I donít add meat to Pintos and only a little like a half tsp salt to them once they have soaked, as I will doctor them up later with spices if I mash for refryís . I regret, once I decide I am making chili, I use canned beans, no time to lose or actually cook beans in advance.

Now what could make the chili sweet. Yes, brown sugar as suggested. Maybe it was flavorful in itself and didnít oomph it up with chiles or cumin or oregano or garlic which we might often discern in a bowl of chili. Heavier on the paprika.? Hot dogs? I think you might distinguish by shape even if chopped. And hot dogs by themselves are not sweet enough to permeate the sauce flavor.

I have used pork , not alone, diced before browning. No sense of what cut, Whatís a pork steak? I think I have used this. I have not thought to use bacon. Also I have thrown bones in , like pork chops, if that was what I used, and fish them out before serving.

I once added beer to my chili, negra modelo. ďyouíll like our recipeĒ. Itís an ale, if that helps. Didnít do much for me except make it soupier. My favorite ( secret) for simmering chili is to use chicken stock rather than beef stock. I think It is richer and allows other flavors and spices to stand out.

Maybe your friend used really good tomatoes. In which case, I Ďd be holding her for ransom to find out where she found those.
It's taking some sideline time digging from her closest sources to get the exacta's on what she puts in it. So far what I've been able to accumulate on my own have been correct. Off by one. What's been told is "She makes this for us all the time. We haven't been paying attention" LOL!

Apparently she adds some kind of sauce. Hopefully today I'll be told what it is. It's SKAKE DOWN TIME!!....SHAKE DOWWWWNNN!

Munky.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Honey Badger

It's been harder to get her people to cooperate then I thought it would.

Found out a little more with some serious cohesion ( I coudda' been a Detective, but I wound up here ).... Fine, already. Nothing's better than a good challenge. "Secret sauce" Riiiiiight.

They are now in the crock. Everything looks good. Spices still need time to do what they're supposed to. This might not be done until later tonight. Taking the long way home with this one.

Munky.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #16
Honey Badger

Done!

These turned out awesome!
If I can get a pic up here later I will. My usual photographer had to work 10 hrs today, just had time to say hi before he had to leave again for class. Edekasion is more important woodun't ya say?

Anyways... Once the all the pre work is done beforehand the rest was relatively easy. It was resisting the temptation not to taste it until it was ready that got me.

The measurements of the spices are estimates. It's what I started out with. Ended up needing slightly more Cumin, Oregano, Paprika, Chili Powder. Just so you know.

Ingredients:
1 Lb Peruano Beans
1/4 Lb Bacon chopped
1 1/2 C. Shredded, chopped pulled pork. (Loin was originally used)
2 Tbs minced onions
1 1/2 tsp Pepper corns
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp of Tomato Boullion

Make a batch of Adobo Sauce (Use it last if at all) I didn't. Had it ready just in case. It's ok what was made fresh today can be used for other things.

1Lb. Peruano Beans. Soaked over night. Drained. Add to a large sauce pot. Cover with fresh water. Simmer 30 min. Remove add it to the crockpot with the rest of the ingredients. Add just enough water to cover the beans. Cook on high until tender. Adding the Boullion last.

This as it is was what I was looking for. Hint of spice. Thickness of the sauce. The sweetness didn't come from me. It came from the beans and the bacon. That's why I didn't add the Adobo sauce.

Have at it.

Munky.

Tags
chili, eating, recipe

Recreating A Chili Recipe ?'s A bowl of chili was sent to me the other day. It was fantastic. I'm trying to recreate what she put in hers. I'd ask but she's out of town. She had added 2 types of pork. 1 was smoked bacon the other not sure. Just know that it was browned then cubed. Definitely wasn't shredded pork butt. I'm suspecting hot dogs. Doesn't sound too bad if I'm right. Will adding the diced uncooked bacon to the beans as they cook in the crock pot toughen the pinto beans up? They also had a sweet flavor to them. What was that? Kind of reminded me of the canned pork n beans. Thank you Munky. 3 stars 1 reviews