Recreating A Chili Recipe ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
A bowl of chili was sent to me the other day. It was fantastic.

I'm trying to recreate what she put in hers. I'd ask but she's out of town.

She had added 2 types of pork. 1 was smoked bacon the other not sure. Just know that it was browned then cubed. Definitely wasn't shredded pork butt. I'm suspecting hot dogs. Doesn't sound too bad if I'm right.

Will adding the diced uncooked bacon to the beans as they cook in the crock pot toughen the pinto beans up?

They also had a sweet flavor to them. What was that? Kind of reminded me of the canned pork n beans.

Thank you

Munky.

I'm not sure what you are asking about, but it sounds more like baked beans than any kind of chili I'm aware of. "Sweet" is not something I've ever come across in chili.

Regarding the beans, are they pre-cooked?

I've had chili's that were slightly sweet. Usually it was because some sort of sweet pepper was used but I've also had some where a sweeter variety of tomato was used and even one that was kind of a cross between pork and beans and chili. I had one where the "cook" simply used a can of baked beans and added it to what would have been a savory chili otherwise. You don't want that one though, it was gross.

A bowl of chili was sent to me the other day. It was fantastic.

I'm trying to recreate what she put in hers. I'd ask but she's out of town.

She had added 2 types of pork. 1 was smoked bacon the other not sure. Just know that it was browned then cubed. Definitely wasn't shredded pork butt. I'm suspecting hot dogs. Doesn't sound too bad if I'm right.

Will adding the diced uncooked bacon to the beans as they cook in the crock pot toughen the pinto beans up?

They also had a sweet flavor to them. What was that? Kind of reminded me of the canned pork n beans.

Thank you

Munky.
Pork sirloin, and pork loin are easily cubed, and browned. As long as the beans are cooked through, adding other ingredients won't make them hard. And only acids do that to beans anyways. The sweetness probably comes from a touch of sugar. Brown sugar gives a richer flavor. In my opinion, the darker the brown sugar, the better. hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've added a touch of molasses to chili, as well as cocoa powder or brown sugar. Not all in the same batch, though.

Last edited:
Ok, well replicating it. Pinto beans were not used. I can see already Peruano Beans should have been used. The color is all wrong. Her beans were whitish, if that's even a word? Slightly larger than the pinto's ( I'll pre soak those beans overnight before I turn in) Try them again in the morning. Living in a mostly Hispanic city they use that type of bean often. It's very popular.
She's an excellent cook. Does everything by the old school book. None of this otc canned stuff for her. Not that they are bad. It's just her way.

Chief.. I think your right pork loin. It had no fat.

Wish you guys could have tasted it. I was told it's her family's handed down chili. It wasn't too spicy or sweet. A nice blend of both. Kind of on the thin side in the way a can of pork and beans are. Not sure if she used paprika or chili powder for the coloring. Is that helping? :ermm:

Anyways, the pinto's, bacon bits and pepper corns smell pretty good so far. Dinner's been cancelled.:ohmy:

Munky.

Before I read your added comments, this is what I was busy writing. Now, I am not so sure if this is entirely helpful. I wonder if she added achiote or annatto.

I always heard you should not add salt when cooking dry beans until the beans have softened ( cooked). I almost always stick a ham bone in with some great northern or dry beans after their soak or with split peas. Never give it a 2nd thought and they turn out great. I often add strips of bacon across the top when making baked beans, albeit usually doctored up can beans/ mix beans. It’s been awhile since I made real baked beans from scratch. Still, my recipes are about the same. Allow the beans to soak or give them a minute to boil and sit covered for an hour to speed things up. With real bake beans, I first start with cut up bacon, which get push down in the beans when it comes time to add more liquid and finish w/ more bacon on top. I should do this more often!! I don’t add meat to Pintos and only a little like a half tsp salt to them once they have soaked, as I will doctor them up later with spices if I mash for refry’s . I regret, once I decide I am making chili, I use canned beans, no time to lose or actually cook beans in advance.

Now what could make the chili sweet. Yes, brown sugar as suggested. Maybe it was flavorful in itself and didn’t oomph it up with chiles or cumin or oregano or garlic which we might often discern in a bowl of chili. Heavier on the paprika.? Hot dogs? I think you might distinguish by shape even if chopped. And hot dogs by themselves are not sweet enough to permeate the sauce flavor.

I have used pork , not alone, diced before browning. No sense of what cut, What’s a pork steak? I think I have used this. I have not thought to use bacon. Also I have thrown bones in , like pork chops, if that was what I used, and fish them out before serving.

I once added beer to my chili, negra modelo. “you’ll like our recipe”. It’s an ale, if that helps. Didn’t do much for me except make it soupier. My favorite ( secret) for simmering chili is to use chicken stock rather than beef stock. I think It is richer and allows other flavors and spices to stand out.

Maybe your friend used really good tomatoes. In which case, I ‘d be holding her for ransom to find out where she found those.

Never had, that I'm aware of, chili with any type of sweetener in it, such as brown sugar or molasses.

When I make chili, I use a combination of ground pork and cubed pork loin for the meat. Usually I use canned beans, slightly drained, lots of chopped onion, plenty of good old chili powder and ancho chili powder, cumin, cayenne, oregano, fresh garlic, jalapeno peppers, several other ingredients I can't remember right now, but everyone always empties their bowl and asks for more. I must be doing something right, at least for my group of eaters.

I've discovered that cooking the onion in bacon grease and adding that to the chili gives another layer of flavor. But, in our house, bacon and/or bacon fat RULES!:ROFLMAO:

I almost always cook the bacon before adding it to a recipe. For my taste buds it brings up the flavor. Let us know how it turns out. Bacon, some thing sweet and using white beans sounds very interesting for chili beans.

I've added a touch of molasses to chili, as well as cocoa powder or brown sugar. Not all in the same batch, though.

I have seen many recipes call for the addition of the chocolate flavor. So it would make sense to me, that since cocoa is bitter by itself, you would have to add dark brown sugar and/or molasses. But if you are going to add both, remember dark brown sugar has a lot of molasses in it. So common sense says to me to cut back on the molasses. :angel:

I have seen many recipes call for the addition of the chocolate flavor. So it would make sense to me, that since cocoa is bitter by itself, you would have to add dark brown sugar and/or molasses. But if you are going to add both, remember dark brown sugar has a lot of molasses in it. So common sense says to me to cut back on the molasses. :angel:

As I said, Addie, I don't use them all in one batch, just one of the three. I do really like the taste unsweetened cocoa adds. Someone (Zhizara?) here also mentioned that peanut butter adds a nice depth to chili.

No two chilis I've ever made are the same....

Last edited:
Before I read your added comments, this is what I was busy writing. Now, I am not so sure if this is entirely helpful. I wonder if she added achiote or annatto.

I always heard you should not add salt when cooking dry beans until the beans have softened ( cooked). I almost always stick a ham bone in with some great northern or dry beans after their soak or with split peas. Never give it a 2nd thought and they turn out great. I often add strips of bacon across the top when making baked beans, albeit usually doctored up can beans/ mix beans. It’s been awhile since I made real baked beans from scratch. Still, my recipes are about the same. Allow the beans to soak or give them a minute to boil and sit covered for an hour to speed things up. With real bake beans, I first start with cut up bacon, which get push down in the beans when it comes time to add more liquid and finish w/ more bacon on top. I should do this more often!! I don’t add meat to Pintos and only a little like a half tsp salt to them once they have soaked, as I will doctor them up later with spices if I mash for refry’s . I regret, once I decide I am making chili, I use canned beans, no time to lose or actually cook beans in advance.

Now what could make the chili sweet. Yes, brown sugar as suggested. Maybe it was flavorful in itself and didn’t oomph it up with chiles or cumin or oregano or garlic which we might often discern in a bowl of chili. Heavier on the paprika.? Hot dogs? I think you might distinguish by shape even if chopped. And hot dogs by themselves are not sweet enough to permeate the sauce flavor.

I have used pork , not alone, diced before browning. No sense of what cut, What’s a pork steak? I think I have used this. I have not thought to use bacon. Also I have thrown bones in , like pork chops, if that was what I used, and fish them out before serving.

I once added beer to my chili, negra modelo. “you’ll like our recipe”. It’s an ale, if that helps. Didn’t do much for me except make it soupier. My favorite ( secret) for simmering chili is to use chicken stock rather than beef stock. I think It is richer and allows other flavors and spices to stand out.

Maybe your friend used really good tomatoes. In which case, I ‘d be holding her for ransom to find out where she found those.

It's taking some sideline time digging from her closest sources to get the exacta's on what she puts in it. So far what I've been able to accumulate on my own have been correct. Off by one. What's been told is "She makes this for us all the time. We haven't been paying attention" LOL!

Apparently she adds some kind of sauce. Hopefully today I'll be told what it is. It's SKAKE DOWN TIME!!....SHAKE DOWWWWNNN! :ROFLMAO:

Munky.

Last edited:
It's been harder to get her people to cooperate then I thought it would.

Found out a little more with some serious cohesion ( I coudda' been a Detective, but I wound up here :LOL:).... Fine, already. Nothing's better than a good challenge. "Secret sauce" Riiiiiight.

They are now in the crock. Everything looks good. Spices still need time to do what they're supposed to. This might not be done until later tonight. Taking the long way home with this one.

Munky.

Done!

These turned out awesome!
If I can get a pic up here later I will. My usual photographer had to work 10 hrs today, just had time to say hi before he had to leave again for class. Edekasion is more important woodun't ya say?

Anyways... Once the all the pre work is done beforehand the rest was relatively easy. It was resisting the temptation not to taste it until it was ready that got me.

The measurements of the spices are estimates. It's what I started out with. Ended up needing slightly more Cumin, Oregano, Paprika, Chili Powder. Just so you know.

Ingredients:
1 Lb Peruano Beans
1/4 Lb Bacon chopped
1 1/2 C. Shredded, chopped pulled pork. (Loin was originally used)
2 Tbs minced onions
1 1/2 tsp Pepper corns
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp of Tomato Boullion

Make a batch of Adobo Sauce (Use it last if at all) I didn't. Had it ready just in case. It's ok what was made fresh today can be used for other things.

1Lb. Peruano Beans. Soaked over night. Drained. Add to a large sauce pot. Cover with fresh water. Simmer 30 min. Remove add it to the crockpot with the rest of the ingredients. Add just enough water to cover the beans. Cook on high until tender. Adding the Boullion last.

This as it is was what I was looking for. Hint of spice. Thickness of the sauce. The sweetness didn't come from me. It came from the beans and the bacon. That's why I didn't add the Adobo sauce.

Have at it.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom