"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Secrets of good chili con carne

Besides using quality ingredients, what makes a good chili? I don't mean specific recipes, but what general tips/ingredients do people know of?
Chili con carne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia says the main ingredients of chili are meat (beef, venison, etc) and chiles, not beans (of course beans can be included though). What are some good secret ingredients, if anyone recommends any? Wikipedia lists a bunch of weird things like chocolate, peanut butter & fish eggs, which I can't imagine would make good chili. I worked with a guy who was a chef & he said the best chili he'd ever tasted had coffee grounds in it though. To each their own I guess... I wonder what an 'apple pie' chili would be like... the pot lubed with butter... beef seasoned with brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves & other stuff... thickened with flour, then cubed apples added later on to balance out the spiciness...

Old 05-24-2007, 04:45 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Coco and Coffee with some Oregano, I always add these, plenty Cummin and smoked paprika.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Chili is one of those dishes that differs with every cook. Beyond the essentials of beef and chiles, standard ingredients include onion, garlic, tomato and a mixture of spices that can vary to personal tastes but should include cumin, Mexican oregano, salt and pepper.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Tip: Masa harina

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Master Chef

Chocolate not a weird chili ingredient, but a pretty common one. Think of mole sauce.

I always use: good quality dry chiles that I rehydrate, beer, chocolate, good quality spices including mexican (not Mediterranean) oregano and masa to thicken (and adds taste). That's in addition to the meat, aromatics and beans. I hardly ever use tomato and when I do, it's in moderation.

But once in a while I'll do it Alton Brown's way and use a jar of salsa and tortilla chips.

I almost always take my time and don't just throw it together on the fly. I'll make a large batch and freeze most of it. So when I do need dinner on the fly it's already made.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
Head Chef

Chili is one of my favorite dishes to make.

I use:

mexican oregano, smoked paprika, crushed cumin seed, cracked pepper, light beer, beef broth, vegetable broth, crushed fire roasted tomatoes, poblano pepper, holland red hot pepper, onion, ground bison, chipotle in adobo sauce, red savina habanero flakes (same as normal red pepper flakes, just about 10x hotter heh)

I cook the chile covered for a few hours on low heat, and serve it on top of angel hair pasta topped with cheddar cheese and crushed saltine crackers. phenomenal meal, fit for kings and peasants alike.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

man, I am loving these photos you have been coming up with lately, legs. I can almost taste every shot.

But no angel hair or cheddar for me. Fritos in the bottom of the bowl and a various garnishes depending on what I have a hankerin' for - shredded jack cheese, sour cream, chopped black olives and/or green onions.

I have been wanting to try to chocolate thing. Next time it gets cold enough for chili (September?) I think I'll do just that.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Legs, I love the photos, too! In fact, I enjoy everyone's photos.

Time for me to buy a new camera. Mine is too frustrating to download the pics.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #9
Head Chef

thanks guys
Old 05-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Sous Chef

add a tsp or so of cinnamon. very tasty!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None