Smoked ham chili- Hawaiian style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benthecook

Assistant Cook
Trying to duplicate a successful recipe. Smoked ham, diced tomatoes, beans, green pepper, onion, crushed pineapple, jalepeno. Anyone recall the rest of it?
Sautee diced ham- 2cups
rough chop onion- 1 cup
rough chop pepper-1 cup or 1 whole
can white or light kidney beans- 15 oz
crushed pinepapple- 1 cup
tomato juice, apple or water- for liquid- 1 cup
optional jalepeno- diced, small. 1 or 2.
Serve over rice or alone.
I believe this is it. As I wrote it out here, it came back to me. :rolleyes:

well if you really want to make it Haiwaian you should use SPAM!

lol, jk that would be awful. but certainly within the confindes of the cuisine there.

I've never had the dish so I can't recall what it should or shouldn't have. but its based on the traditional combination of ham and pineapple. Usually served on pizza.

Thanks for the comment. The smoked ham makes it quite good. I have done it several times but lost my notes. As I was writing my post it came back to me. A little tex-mex spice helps also. 1/2 tsp cumin, far less than a beef chili.
Ben

you know Ben this could be a great recipe for smoked pulled pork. Boston butt slow smoked then pulled and cooked with your recipe. could be quite good!

what kind of smoked ham were you using?

wood smoked, from a whole ham glazed with pineapple-cloves. Leftover from dinner yesterday. I like the chili aspect because it is different yet hearty. I think a clove or 2 of minced garlic should be included.

Well, out here the best chili I have had normally uses Portuguese Sausage. The only "traditional" style chili comes from Zippy's. Never seen it with pineapple though.

Back
Top Bottom