Three bean chilli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyjonny_uk

Senior Cook
I have a tried and tested chilli con carne recipe but just wanted to add a little twist by adding three types of beans and I was really happy with the result and it was so darn tasty:)

700g Beef mince
3 medium red onions finely chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 medium green pepper chopped
1 medium red pepper chopped
4 whole red chillis chopped with seeds
8 mushrooms sliced
1 big jar chopped tomatoes in juice
150g dried kidney beans
150g dried black eyed beans
150g dried white beans
2 tbsp chilli powder mild
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
4 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

First soak the beans the night before and rinse in clean fresh water
Boil the beans in salted water until you can mash with a fork(approx 1.5-2 hours)
Fry onion, garlic, pepper and mushrooms in oil until soft and clear.
Add mince and fry till brown.
Add spices and fry for a further five minutes.
Add tomatoes and water, stir for five minutes.
Add the beans
Cover and turn on a very low heat stirring occasionally.
Leave for as long as possible, 6 hours minimum.
At the end if you want it thicker you can mash a few of the beans down and it becomes much thicker.
Can be re-heated the next day to serve.
Serve with boiled rice or garlic bread or on its own.
Sprinkle with cheese and a dollop of sour cream for taste and decoration.

If anyone tries this recipe I hope you enjoy as much as me:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered adding a touch of something sweet? I use brown sugar, but many also use chocolate.

To be honest I have never thought about it although I have seen many others do. How would you describe what this does to the taste of the dish? It's interesting to know how such a strong spicy dish can have the addition of something so sweet:)

That looks pretty tasty! I also like the inclusion of mushrooms. :yum:

Thanks:) It certainly is very tasty! Many people think it strange to add mushrooms but for me it's not so much about sticking to original recipes but twisting them to my own tastes and what I enjoy and I would certainly say adding mushrooms does not really change the taste of original chilli but I just love mushrooms:) Adding the beans made it more wholesome and thicker and I just love a thick stodgy chilli! The thing I love about chilli is the different variations you can do so one dish can me made so many different ways.

To be honest I have never thought about it although I have seen many others do. How would you describe what this does to the taste of the dish? It's interesting to know how such a strong spicy dish can have the addition of something so sweet:)

I think it provides a little contrast. Don't go overboard on the sweet stuff, though. Just a hint helps.

Back
Top Bottom