Today is the day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for sharing your day with us, Goodweed. Maybe you didn't win a "prize" - but you certainly took home a trophy the prize winners can't match ... the smile on that young boys face. You did good my friend!

Good job, GW! It's not the winning, but just the experience of putting those recipes together and getting them to where YOU wanted them has boosted your cooking knowledge notches!

Care to post your recipes? :)

Thanks everyone. I'll post both recipes, but not this morning. Gotta get ready for work. But I warn you, my white chili was pretty hot. The red was great, but was more tame heat-wise. But I think you'll love them both. You'll have to give me some critique after you try them. Better invite some freinds too. The recipes were for three gallons of each.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

So where are your recipes :)

I love Chili, and being not a purist, love to hear all new ideas. Unlike Texans, I have a sense of humor when it comes to Chili (and add beans, and other stuff), and whilte Chili (especially with chicken) is one of my wife's favorite dishes when I pre-make, and take up north with us on vacation.

:)

Casper

Oh yeh, I forgot. So here's how I made the stuff.

Bob Flowers' White Chili:

This chili stayed true to the chili flavor. Its flavor was developed from pork, white pepper, cayenne pepper, dried, yellow-tobasco peppers, yellow bell peppers, and yellow hungarian finger peppers. It also contained Great White Beans, Navy beans, cumin, paprika, cilantro, and chili powder. To keep the chili white, I had to be careful to develop most of the pepper flavors with the yellow-colored peppers. I used "May Cause Side Effects" hot sauce to give it some kick. By the time it developed its full flavor, it was screeming hot to many, but left my mouth with a warm glow. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
Ok. Due to popular demand, here it is in all its unbalanced glory. Think sixes. In fact, I think I'll call this recipe Chili #6 .

6 lb. can Great Northern Beans
6 lb. can Navy Beans
6 stalks Celery, sliced
6 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)
6 ea. dried Tobasco Peppers, Jalepeno Peppers
6 ea. yellow Hugarian Finger Peppers
1 ea. large yellow Bell Pepper
2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
3 large onions
2 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
1 tsp. hottest hot sauce you can find (May Cause Side Effects, Insanity
Sauce, etc.)
17 oz. hot Chili Powder
1/4 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro
4 bay leaves
24 oz. yellow Hominy
6 fresh, Corn Tortillas, broken up.

Mesquite flavor Liquid Smoke to taste, or better yet, grill the ground beef over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Brown The ground beef and set aside. In a huge pot (must hold about 7 gallons) add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal.

Bob Flowers' Red Chili:

This chili was very well ballanced, and tasty. It was a traditional Midwestern style chili with the standard mix of celery, tomato, tomato sauce, unsweetened chocolate, ground beef, onion, kidney beans, and pinto beans. It used medium-hot chili powder, cumin, cilantro, and coriander.

The problem with trying to write down this chili is that I started with 6 lbs. of ground beef, a huge pot, and just added ingredients until I had about 4 gallons of chili. I added enough canned, whole tomatoes, and tomatoe sauce to give me the amount of liquid I needed, and then added the other ingredients to taste.

This is something that you craft. It doesn't really have a recipe, just an ingredient list. You have to have a flavor in mind that you are shooting for, then add things until it tastes just right. After the next chili cookoff, I will try to quantify the recipe.

Gonna try your white-hot chili for a cook-off my wife decided to enter me into... I want to try a couple of test batches but it's just the 2 of us, I need to figure out how to greatly reduce this one...

Thanks Goodweed, always a pleasure trying out things you post...

With this year's chili, I used green tomatoes and cream to offset the sourness of the tomato. It came out superb. Just remember that main flavors in chilli include not only peppers, but cummin and coriander as well. Ballance those with other ingredients and you have great chili. Don't be afraid to experiment a little. Make a few batches at home, in small amounts, to prove your cookign ideas and theories.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom