Today is the day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
It's chili cookoff day. I find out how my skills compare to the rest, even though this is more of a fundraiser than a true cookoff. I expect to have fun and have made to very flavorful pots of chili. The first is red, Semi-Midwestern style with lots of beans, fresh chili's, onions, peppers, ground beef, unswettened chocolate, and tomato. It's on the medium hot side, with a complex and ballanced flavor. I'm very happy with it.

The second is a white chili made with great white beans, bananna peppers, dried little yellow tabasoe peppers, and a secret ingredient (a very hot sauce called "May Cause Side Effects"). I used pork as the meat, and lots of cumin with coriander to even out the flavor. This one also has a great flavor, but it's also about the heat. Let's just say it's my white-hot chili!:mrgreen:

Wish me luck.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

wish I were judging...love chili...from plain ole to as creative as you get. Have a great time!

I'm sure that by now the pots and ladels have cooled off - and the judging is done ..... but I sure hope you did real good Goodweed!

Ok. So I didn't win anything, again. But I expected that would be the case as this chili cookoff was a fundraiser for the United way. In the 2 categories I entered, the Boy's & Girl's club of America won. And that'a a great thing, especially if the kids got to make the chili.

As for my own chili, everyone who tasted them gave me kudos. Most said they were the best of the 34 entries. And I'm not exagerating. But what did surprise me was that the white chili was the more popular of the two. Now you have to understand, my white was very hot. But it had pronounced flavors of pork, cumin, coriander, green pepper, onion, and fresh hot peppers, all of the green or yellow variety. And it had a ton of great northern beans in it. It was also thickened with fresh corn tortillas, which you could also taste. They loved it.:mrgreen: The absolute best thing was when a young boy, in a wheelchair was pushed up by his mother. She explained the two types of chili I had. He wanted to try the white chili. This young man was at the very least, paralyzed from the waist down. He also appeared to have Down Syndrome. But the smile that lit up his face when he ate the chili did my heart good. It made the whole day worthwhile. The people who ate my chili loved it, and that felt good too. But the boy, I'll carry that in my heart for a long time.

Maybe someday, after I retire to a different comunity, I'll be able to enter a serious chili contest. But until then, I'll continue to support the United way, and make people smile, and sometimes gasp and reach for something cold to cool the fire.:ohmy:

It was a lot of fun. And I got to share the leftovers with my famlily. Bonus!:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Great report Goodweed!

You artfully described why people who love to cook, love to cook. It's not for the blue ribbons, this says it all:

"But the smile that lit up his face when he ate the chili did my heart good."

Thanks

Whoa, I didn't know they also do chili cookoffs in Michigan, I thought it was just a Texas thingy!! But your white chili sounds very interesting, and loved your little episode with that boy in a wheel chair!! WTG for making his day, but I bet it made YOUR day just as well!!:)

Im glad you did good! I mean what better ay to brighten you day then to make a child smile.....

I do have one question though....You put unsweeten chocolate in your chilli? Really?

I absolutely love chili......especially when its hot. DH on the other hand isn't fond of too much heat. I've never had white chili...sounds interesting. Thats something I'd def. try if I ever got a chance. You've inspired me I'm making a pot of chili this weekend. I'm sorry you didn't win but you'll get them next time.

Sounds like it was a great day overall! I think one of the good things about not placing is the chance to try again next year.:)

A childs smile is the best!
True happiness. Thanks for sharing that story Goodweed.

Back
Top Bottom