Trucker's Beans....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks interesting.
I'll have to come up with some way to make it in a smaller quantity without opening all those cans up...

That looks interesting.
I'll have to come up with some way to make it in a smaller quantity without opening all those cans up...

I like to boil my own beans after soaking, I buy about 6 types (1 pound each) then soak overnight then boil them.

Then, I use them to make different dishes from soups, chili, refried beans, and I freeze some.

I'd prefer doing this instead of the can beans, although, can beans are quicker and easier.

i'm going to be making chili this week in a similar way. thanks for the vid, maxamus. :chef:

i have a london broil that i got 2 for 1, so after eating the first one as a steak, i froze the second.

it'll get defrosted, cubed, then browned with onions and garlic. next, i add a large can of crushed tomatoes, and cans of red, navy, and black beans. also some diced green, orange and red bell peppers.

i make my own chili powder from dried chipotle and mulato peppers, and add that along with ground cumin.

the liquid is adjusted with a little beef stock, and it simmers for a while until everything comes together into a chili or thick stew.

btw, max, i noticed you're in nyc? whereabouts? i work on the upper west side and live in jersey.

I like to boil my own beans after soaking, I buy about 6 types (1 pound each) then soak overnight then boil them.

Then, I use them to make different dishes from soups, chili, refried beans, and I freeze some.

I'd prefer doing this instead of the can beans, although, can beans are quicker and easier.

Good idea. I'f I buy the majority of them dry I won't have to worry about it. Thanks.

When I am cooking for myself, I have large rectangular plastic food boxes that I fill with beans - each holds about 2 pounds. I just scoop out what I need when I am making something. It makes life as a single person much easier. If I have to open 5 cans to get five different kinds of beans I find that I cannot eat everything before it spoils - or I have to eat the dish 3 times a day until it is gone so that it doesn't spoil.

chili freezes pretty well, so i make a few quarts of it at a time, eat some, then freeze a quart or two to eat at work a few weeks later.

That looks interesting.
You can get yourself a can of 6 Bean Blend
6%20bean%20blend.jpeg

You can get yourself a can of 6 Bean Blend
6%20bean%20blend.jpeg

BINGO! We have a winner!
Thanks. I'll look for that next time I'm out. I had no idea they made such a concoction. I obviously don't spend enough time in the bean aisle ;)

thanks for sharing this trucker's bean recipe, max. can i call you max?:) and welcome to dc! it's a fun place to hang out for a lot of reasons, but mostly you'll want to stay for the eats!
i'm just wondering, does this chili really need a couple of hours on the stove to come together? i would think it should be good to go in half that time....:)

oh, and rock--i'll be looking for that bean blend of yours, or something like it, thanks....:)

Last edited:
That is convenient...but it also is a way to get more salt. One of the reasons why I stick to dried beans is that there is much less salt than in canned, and it only takes and extra 5 minutes or so to prepare the dried beans - if you plan the night before.

Back
Top Bottom