Well, there was this Chili last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
I found out that I am serving Chili to a group of 8 tonight. Last night I made the chili and I am pretty happy with it.

1# - 85% lean ground beef
1# - Good quality Italian sweet sausage.
2 - Large cans of crushed tomatoes
1 - 12 oz can tomato paste
- Low Sodium V8 Juice
1 - Large Spanish onion
2 - Large can of beans (I used one can of pinto and one can of Black)
I like variety, sometimes I use red and white or othe kinds of beans.
- Chili powder to taste, I used about 2 Tbsp.
1t - Powdered Garlic
1T - Adobo
- Sea Salt to taste

I got link sausage, It is just easier to find. I cut the links open and discard the casings. Brown the meat and sausage together. Sprinkle on the powdered garlic and the adobo and sea salt. When all brown put it into the stock pot.

Add the two large cans of crushed tomatoes, drain and add the two cans of beans (I used Goya Beans, Our local store has a whole Goya aisle and I use different beans every time). Chop and add the onion. take one of the large crushed tomatoes cans and fill it with V* low sodium vegetable juice and add that. Chop and add the large onion. Peel and add (whole) a potato. It does not matter what kind, you will be discarding it after cooking. I believe that it takes the acid edge off the tomato. Add the chili powder taste and adjust. Mix in the tomato paste.

Bring to just before a boil and then simmer for two hours. remove and discard, or eat the potato and there you have it.

Hope you enjoy - AC

One thing I LOVE about chili.... with all the different recipes and variations... it's gonna be good!

OHHH... I noticed you used Adobo... is that the seasoning stuff? I found some yesterday and picked some up. Looks like it would be a good all-purposes seasoning.

I absolutely love Adobo. There are several strains I use the Red cap, whis with pepper. I have found that it adds something to the tast of anything I use it oN. Funny thing is it seems to taste dirrerent on different things. I use it in many dishes that icook and on veggies and salads.

As I said, my neighborhood is heavily hispanic and the Goya aisle is huge. Ther must be at least rieties fo Adobo. stick with the red cap. When I go into the produce section, I do not know what hald fo the things are. I intend to learn.

AC

I got the one with the red cap... so I believe I am on the right track! Thanks Adillo!

looks good, adillo. :chef:
i like the idea of using sausage in chilli, along with beef. gonna have to try that

Adillo, I would never have thought about trying to add V8 to chili! I may have to try that. In fact, I put that on my "Must Make" list, but how knows when that will happen (there are dishes on that list that I've been meaning to make for several years!).

I've always said that sausage mixed with hamburger really makes a good chili. Since you have such a large Hispanic population in your area, have you tried using Chorizo, the Mexican kind, in your chili? You may have to shop around to find one you like, since that's usually made in-house at the various Carnecerias/meat markets. I've found that most of those Chorizos have to much white vinegar in them for my taste. I had one batch that was made with red wine vinegar that was awesome. I need to get the cookbook that had that recipe.

I will look into the Chorizo. I just thought the V8 would expand the flavor, seems to have and didn't just want to add water. This grocery store has things that I neveer thought that people eat. Whole Ox tails, huge blocks of tripe, Cow feet, not just the hoves, about a 14" lentch of front feet. The root vedgetables are beyond description.

Root veggies, I will look into. Feet, not so much. LOL

AC

Back
Top Bottom