What goes with Chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow - I rarely even finish my one bowl of chili when I make it - lol!! Although I do know that cornbread - & chili variations thereof - are popular, I'd never be able to get that & half a bowl of chili down.

However, I make my chili with ground turkey & lots of beans, & top it with lots of crushed tortilla chips; chopped lettuce, fresh tomatoes, & onions; grated cheddar a Jalapeno Monterey Jack cheese; & sour cream.

Who wouldn't be full after that? Lol!!!

I just want to thank you Easton for posting this thread... because now I know what is for dinner tonight!!! And given the cool weather we are having right now, it just seems to perfect!!!

We usually eat our chilli over rice (mostly basmati), but also tried with couscous and it was equally good... couscous is such a wonderful (and quick and easy) medium that is friendly to so many diverse things!!

A lot of great ideas.

I like chili with either macaroni or spaghetti. Just mix the cooked chili with the cooked pasta. And top with grated Parmesan.

Over cornbread is awesome.

A slice of cornbread, chili, and topped with a fried egg, now that's eating.

Tossing chili on baked taters is very common in British pubs. Go figure. They will toss all sorts of stuff on the tater.

Could put it in an individual casserole dish and top with cheese (any cheese but a queso blanco or an American cheese would work) and put into the nuker and let the cheese melt. Or make ita as a gratin.

Cheese and chii were meant for each other.

Actually like chili with a white wine. Somehow to me they seem to go together. Of course beer and milk are the ideal adjuncts.

Now a chili dog casserole.

1 pkg. hot dog buns

1 large onion, finely diced and sauteed

2 (1 lb.) pkgs. hot dogs, cut into ½ inch slices (recommend Oscar Meyer, they seem to work so well in this dish)
5 (15 oz) cans chili with beans (Hormel works fine), or use homemade
½ lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
½ lb. yellow cheddar, shredded

Separate and lightly toast the buns.

Heat the hot dog slices and chili in a saucepan until bubbling.

Oil a 10 x 15 inch oiled speckled enamelware roasting pan or use a glass casserole dish.

Place the toasted buns in the pan and top with ½ the onions.

Spoon the warmed chili mixture over the buns.

Sprinkle on the remaining onions and then the shredded cheeses.

If desired, you can top the cheeses with salsa/picante or taco sauce or sliced black olives.

Bake until the cheese is melted and golden and the chili is bubbling (about 20 min.).

Let rest for 10-15 min. and cut into rectangular portions.

Take care and God bless.

Question: are you supposed to chop the ground beef when making chili or sloppy joe?

For me, it's personal preference with the chili. I don't really care if the meat is finely ground for chili because I also, sometimes, use chunk beef along with the ground beef in my chili.

With sloppy joes, I like my beef a little more finely ground so it's more uniform and I can spoon it on the buns.

It's really your call. No set rules that I know of.

As Katies said, it's up to you.

I like to make chili with chuck cut into small cubes. I like the texture of the finished product. I figure it's more authentic as the cowboys in the old west probably didn't have meat grinders handy.

Sounds Good

urmaniac13 said:
We usually eat our chilli over rice (mostly basmati), but also tried with couscous and it was equally good... couscous is such a wonderful (and quick and easy) medium that is friendly to so many diverse things!!

I like mine over rice, too. I usually have cornbread with it.

Yours Sounds A Lot Like Mine

BreezyCooking said:
Wow - I rarely even finish my one bowl of chili when I make it - lol!! Although I do know that cornbread - & chili variations thereof - are popular, I'd never be able to get that & half a bowl of chili down.

However, I make my chili with ground turkey & lots of beans, & top it with lots of crushed tortilla chips; chopped lettuce, fresh tomatoes, & onions; grated cheddar a Jalapeno Monterey Jack cheese; & sour cream.

Who wouldn't be full after that? Lol!!!

I don't serve mine with toppings, but I do add corn to my chili. I don't just eat chili when the weather is cool. It's good to me all year long! I love mine over rice.

Toni

I did a search on Google for “what goes with chili” and this thread popped up! Imagine that! :LOL:

I’m thinking of making a big batch of chili with beans tonight. I plan on using the outdoor DO to do it, so that will be fun. Since I’m using the DO, I’ll be using the leanest ground sirloin I can find so that I won’t have to drain the meat after browning (that makes it easier to work with the DO outdoors over coals).

Since the meat will be so lean, I think I’ll start by browning a few pieces of chopped bacon to add some oil and extra flavor to the DO before the ground beef goes in. I also plan to serve the chili over rice, and top it with cheese and perhaps sliced green onions.

I was wondering what else to serve with it though. There are some good ideas in this thread!

I think I’ll do garlic bread (I love garlic bread and I have some hoagie rolls that I need to use up), and I might add shredded cheese to one piece so we have regular and cheesy garlic bread......maybe even put some jalapeños or pepperoncini peppers with cheese on another piece.

The baked potato idea got me thinking......so I’ll also have french fries or Tater Tots on the side. Come to think of it, onion rings or fried okra would be a good side in place of the fries or Tots.

This sounds good! Now I just have to wait till dinner!

The only thing that worries me is I plan to cook it for about 2 hours in the DO. Chili is acidic, and my DO is fairly new, but has a decent seasoning on it. I’m hoping the acids wont tear down the seasoning.....we’ll see.

quote]

Hey, Breezy! I do almost the reverse of what you do! I make individual salads in large bowls, with all your "toppings", plus black olives and avocado. Then I top the salads with the chili, and they're "Taco Salads".

I have bought the large taco shell bowls for this dish before, but most of the time I just use glass pyrex casserole dishes to serve the salads in.

The hot chili wilts the lettuce and melts the cheese, and the contrast between soft/hot and cold/crunchy is wonderful!

Lee

Some of you might feel satisfied after a bowl of chili, but I don't find it that filling. What do you usually eat it with? I'm not looking for anything too fancy. I can think of just laying it over some rice or eat with some bread.

Then you haven't had really good chili!!......

just kidding--Jalapeño cornbread is the ticket for me.. or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...

What goes with chili?

Thanks for the ideas....the garlic bread sounds good. I have tried chili over baked potato and I like it with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top too. I always make my chili with beans AND elbow macaroni....but I wouldn't use the macaroni if I was putting it over potao. Thanks again.

I like to add smoked sausage pieces to my chili as well as most of the other stuff mentioned here. I'm making chili for supper tonight as a matter of fact. I will sometimes add chocolate syrup to it for a flavor depth.

I love cheap white bread with lots of butter along with my chili. I like to take a bite of it along with a bite of chili. My husband likes crackers with his (I think he usually breaks them up in it). If I were going to eat another food along with chili, I guess it would be cottage cheese, but not in the same bowl.

:)Barbara

Forget Rice. Far too plain. Pour your chili over some home-made (ok, or boxed) cheddar cheese macaroni. You can even add some salsa to the cheese sauce to kick up the flavor. It's delicious and very filling.

Also, you could make some stuffed, bacon wrapped Jalapeños. A caution though... these are very addictive! lol

STUFFED BACON-WRAPPED JALAPENOS

Get some fresh Jalapeños (in Florida, they are everywhere and very cheap). Cut off the end and then slice in half longways. Use a spoon to scrap out the seeds and the rind (to keep heat down) and rinse with cool water. Fill with cream cheese and then wrap with bacon (1/2 a slice should cover it). I like to dab the cream cheese side against a pile of shredded cheddar before wrapping with the bacon. It's not necessary, but really adds to the flavor as the cream cheese will take on the flavor of the cheese. You don't need very much cheese (just a few little pieces will do the trick). Too much cheese and it will melt and run out all over the pan and make a mess. Bake these at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (or until the bacon is done). Slow baking them like this will result in an extremely mild pepper that even children love to eat.

The warning is true. My neighbors picky children will put away about 6 or 7 of them in 5 minutes. Adults can easily eat a dozen and only stop because they are worried about all the bacon. lol. (You can use Turkey bacon, but, of course, they aren't nearly as good!)

I have Chili with either Corn Bread or Saltines. The only time I "add" any thing else is when I need to stretch it, then I add macaroni. Cheap and tasty meal stretcher.

I make mac & cheese the same day or the day after I make chili. I spoon some of each into either side of the bowl so I can mix as I eat.

When having regular chili and I'm not full enough, I just have another bowl. Amazing that no one else came up with this!

I often have it with cornbread. I love Jiffy too. It tastes the way I like my cornbread with less mess and measuring.

When I want to stretch the chili, rice is nice. I make my rice using 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water with one packet of onion soup mix. It's really yummy. I often throw in some frozen mixed vegetables too. Easy way to get veggies in me and looks pretty too.

Back
Top Bottom