"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 04-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #21
Master Chef

Wow - I rarely even finish my one bowl of chili when I make it - lol!! Although I do know that cornbread - & chili variations thereof - are popular, I'd never be able to get that & half a bowl of chili down.

However, I make my chili with ground turkey & lots of beans, & top it with lots of crushed tortilla chips; chopped lettuce, fresh tomatoes, & onions; grated cheddar a Jalapeno Monterey Jack cheese; & sour cream.

Who wouldn't be full after that? Lol!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #22
Master Chef

I just want to thank you Easton for posting this thread... because now I know what is for dinner tonight!!! And given the cool weather we are having right now, it just seems to perfect!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We usually eat our chilli over rice (mostly basmati), but also tried with couscous and it was equally good... couscous is such a wonderful (and quick and easy) medium that is friendly to so many diverse things!!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
Head Chef

A lot of great ideas.

I like chili with either macaroni or spaghetti. Just mix the cooked chili with the cooked pasta. And top with grated Parmesan.

Over cornbread is awesome.

A slice of cornbread, chili, and topped with a fried egg, now that's eating.

Tossing chili on baked taters is very common in British pubs. Go figure. They will toss all sorts of stuff on the tater.

Could put it in an individual casserole dish and top with cheese (any cheese but a queso blanco or an American cheese would work) and put into the nuker and let the cheese melt. Or make ita as a gratin.

Cheese and chii were meant for each other.

Actually like chili with a white wine. Somehow to me they seem to go together. Of course beer and milk are the ideal adjuncts.

Now a chili dog casserole.

1 pkg. hot dog buns

1 large onion, finely diced and sauteed

2 (1 lb.) pkgs. hot dogs, cut into inch slices (recommend Oscar Meyer, they seem to work so well in this dish)
5 (15 oz) cans chili with beans (Hormel works fine), or use homemade
lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
lb. yellow cheddar, shredded

Separate and lightly toast the buns.

Heat the hot dog slices and chili in a saucepan until bubbling.

Oil a 10 x 15 inch oiled speckled enamelware roasting pan or use a glass casserole dish.

Place the toasted buns in the pan and top with the onions.

Spoon the warmed chili mixture over the buns.

Sprinkle on the remaining onions and then the shredded cheeses.

If desired, you can top the cheeses with salsa/picante or taco sauce or sliced black olives.

Bake until the cheese is melted and golden and the chili is bubbling (about 20 min.).

Let rest for 10-15 min. and cut into rectangular portions.

Take care and God bless.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #25
Cook

Question: are you supposed to chop the ground beef when making chili or sloppy joe?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
For me, it's personal preference with the chili. I don't really care if the meat is finely ground for chili because I also, sometimes, use chunk beef along with the ground beef in my chili.

With sloppy joes, I like my beef a little more finely ground so it's more uniform and I can spoon it on the buns.

It's really your call. No set rules that I know of.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

As Katies said, it's up to you.

I like to make chili with chuck cut into small cubes. I like the texture of the finished product. I figure it's more authentic as the cowboys in the old west probably didn't have meat grinders handy.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Sounds Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
We usually eat our chilli over rice (mostly basmati), but also tried with couscous and it was equally good... couscous is such a wonderful (and quick and easy) medium that is friendly to so many diverse things!!
I like mine over rice, too. I usually have cornbread with it.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Yours Sounds A Lot Like Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Wow - I rarely even finish my one bowl of chili when I make it - lol!! Although I do know that cornbread - & chili variations thereof - are popular, I'd never be able to get that & half a bowl of chili down.

However, I make my chili with ground turkey & lots of beans, & top it with lots of crushed tortilla chips; chopped lettuce, fresh tomatoes, & onions; grated cheddar a Jalapeno Monterey Jack cheese; & sour cream.

Who wouldn't be full after that? Lol!!!
I don't serve mine with toppings, but I do add corn to my chili. I don't just eat chili when the weather is cool. It's good to me all year long! I love mine over rice.

Toni
Old 09-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #30
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I did a search on Google for what goes with chili and this thread popped up! Imagine that!

Im thinking of making a big batch of chili with beans tonight. I plan on using the outdoor DO to do it, so that will be fun. Since Im using the DO, Ill be using the leanest ground sirloin I can find so that I wont have to drain the meat after browning (that makes it easier to work with the DO outdoors over coals).

Since the meat will be so lean, I think Ill start by browning a few pieces of chopped bacon to add some oil and extra flavor to the DO before the ground beef goes in. I also plan to serve the chili over rice, and top it with cheese and perhaps sliced green onions.

I was wondering what else to serve with it though. There are some good ideas in this thread!

I think Ill do garlic bread (I love garlic bread and I have some hoagie rolls that I need to use up), and I might add shredded cheese to one piece so we have regular and cheesy garlic bread......maybe even put some jalapeos or pepperoncini peppers with cheese on another piece.

The baked potato idea got me thinking......so Ill also have french fries or Tater Tots on the side. Come to think of it, onion rings or fried okra would be a good side in place of the fries or Tots.

This sounds good! Now I just have to wait till dinner!

The only thing that worries me is I plan to cook it for about 2 hours in the DO. Chili is acidic, and my DO is fairly new, but has a decent seasoning on it. Im hoping the acids wont tear down the seasoning.....well see.

Tags
None