"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili
Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #31
Head Chef
However, I make my chili with ground turkey & lots of beans, & top it with lots of crushed tortilla chips; chopped lettuce, fresh tomatoes, & onions; grated cheddar a Jalapeno Monterey Jack cheese; & sour cream.

Hey, Breezy! I do almost the reverse of what you do! I make individual salads in large bowls, with all your "toppings", plus black olives and avocado. Then I top the salads with the chili, and they're "Taco Salads".

I have bought the large taco shell bowls for this dish before, but most of the time I just use glass pyrex casserole dishes to serve the salads in.

The hot chili wilts the lettuce and melts the cheese, and the contrast between soft/hot and cold/crunchy is wonderful!

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #32
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Easton View Post
Some of you might feel satisfied after a bowl of chili, but I don't find it that filling. What do you usually eat it with? I'm not looking for anything too fancy. I can think of just laying it over some rice or eat with some bread.
Then you haven't had really good chili!!......

just kidding--Jalapeņo cornbread is the ticket for me.. or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...

Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #33
Assistant Cook
What goes with chili?

Thanks for the ideas....the garlic bread sounds good. I have tried chili over baked potato and I like it with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top too. I always make my chili with beans AND elbow macaroni....but I wouldn't use the macaroni if I was putting it over potao. Thanks again.
slanger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #34
Master Chef
I like to add smoked sausage pieces to my chili as well as most of the other stuff mentioned here. I'm making chili for supper tonight as a matter of fact. I will sometimes add chocolate syrup to it for a flavor depth.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #35
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I love cheap white bread with lots of butter along with my chili. I like to take a bite of it along with a bite of chili. My husband likes crackers with his (I think he usually breaks them up in it). If I were going to eat another food along with chili, I guess it would be cottage cheese, but not in the same bowl.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
all that chili talk made me want some. opened a can, but in bowl with jack and cheddar cheese. it was yummy. guess i will call it lunch
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #37
Assistant Cook
white rice
bacon wrapped hot dogs
deep fried frozen burritos
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #38
Assistant Cook
Forget Rice. Far too plain. Pour your chili over some home-made (ok, or boxed) cheddar cheese macaroni. You can even add some salsa to the cheese sauce to kick up the flavor. It's delicious and very filling.

Also, you could make some stuffed, bacon wrapped Jalapeņos. A caution though... these are very addictive! lol

Get some fresh Jalapeņos (in Florida, they are everywhere and very cheap). Cut off the end and then slice in half longways. Use a spoon to scrap out the seeds and the rind (to keep heat down) and rinse with cool water. Fill with cream cheese and then wrap with bacon (1/2 a slice should cover it). I like to dab the cream cheese side against a pile of shredded cheddar before wrapping with the bacon. It's not necessary, but really adds to the flavor as the cream cheese will take on the flavor of the cheese. You don't need very much cheese (just a few little pieces will do the trick). Too much cheese and it will melt and run out all over the pan and make a mess. Bake these at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (or until the bacon is done). Slow baking them like this will result in an extremely mild pepper that even children love to eat.

The warning is true. My neighbors picky children will put away about 6 or 7 of them in 5 minutes. Adults can easily eat a dozen and only stop because they are worried about all the bacon. lol. (You can use Turkey bacon, but, of course, they aren't nearly as good!)
PeachWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #39
Head Chef
I have Chili with either Corn Bread or Saltines. The only time I "add" any thing else is when I need to stretch it, then I add macaroni. Cheap and tasty meal stretcher.
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I make mac & cheese the same day or the day after I make chili. I spoon some of each into either side of the bowl so I can mix as I eat.

When having regular chili and I'm not full enough, I just have another bowl. Amazing that no one else came up with this!

I often have it with cornbread. I love Jiffy too. It tastes the way I like my cornbread with less mess and measuring.

When I want to stretch the chili, rice is nice. I make my rice using 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water with one packet of onion soup mix. It's really yummy. I often throw in some frozen mixed vegetables too. Easy way to get veggies in me and looks pretty too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote