"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Either cornbread, especially jalapeņo cornbread, or warm buttered tortillas. I prefer flour tortillas but I can eat corn tortillas if I must.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Either cornbread, especially jalapeņo cornbread, or warm buttered tortillas. I prefer flour tortillas but I can eat corn tortillas if I must.
You've inspired me to reply to this topic. I prefer flour tortillas too although I expect most people may prefer corn tortillas over flour.

I like white rice with chili but I'd be happy to have some cornbread with that. Ordinarily I prefer plain cornbread but I think jalapeno cornbread would go particularly well with chili.

I also like making chili tacos. I heat flour tortillas and then add the chili, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, sliced lettuce or cabbage, and guacamole. Salsa or taco sauce topping optional.

I have an odd way of heating tortillas. I just toss them on an open gas burner under high flame, quickly flip them a few times until lightly browned.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to add the grated jalapeno jack cheese to the cornbread. Then also served the same cheese with the chili.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #54
Senior Cook

I usually just have buttered bread and a drink to go with chili.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #55
Master Chef

My parents were introduced to chili when Daddy got stationed to Reno, NV. It was rather soupy, and we ate it with saltine crackers.

For awhile my husband had to reduce his meat intake, so I made vegetarian chili a lot. Then carbs became an issue, so I do more of a meat chili. My friends like my New Mexico Green Chili Stew and my Cincinnati chili, which are another story entirely (the former has potatoes in it, the latter is pure meat and is eaten with oysterettes-type crackers or on spaghetti noodles.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My parents were introduced to chili when Daddy got stationed to Reno, NV. It was rather soupy, and we ate it with saltine crackers.

For awhile my husband had to reduce his meat intake, so I made vegetarian chili a lot. Then carbs became an issue, so I do more of a meat chili. My friends like my New Mexico Green Chili Stew and my Cincinnati chili, which are another story entirely (the former has potatoes in it, the latter is pure meat and is eaten with oysterettes-type crackers or on spaghetti noodles.
l love oysterette crackers. I always have them on hand for tomato or chicken noodle soup.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #57
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb It's a southern tradition!

Spicy Chili topped with shredded jack & cheddar, maybe some diced onion if you like...along with some sweet coleslaw & homemade buttery cornbread!! OOooo so good together!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #58
Senior Cook

I often put a bowl of corn chips on the table, and a bowl of sour cream...for anyone who can afford the extra calories. I also like to smother my personal bowl of chili with finely chopped lettuce.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #59
Sous Chef

Mexican cornbread is good with chili. (jalepenos, cream cheese and creamed corn baked in the bread)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Fritos are an exceptionally delicious topping for chili, especially honey bbq flavor.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None