"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #71
Master Chef

Quote:
I have an odd way of heating tortillas. I just toss them on an open gas burner under high flame, quickly flip them a few times until lightly browned.
Not odd to me Greg, actually I thought everyone did that.

I don't use a high flame though, I use the lowest possible flame. I keep them moving every few seconds till they look the way I like them.......slightly toasted and pliable with a few chard spots. I must have buttered flour tortillas like this with my chili.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I haven't done this lately, but mac & cheese on one side of the bowl, chili on the other. You can mix or not as you eat.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

When I lived in Texas, the Mexicans used the flour tortillas as their "bread." A stack of them had been warmed and they would take one, tear off a piece and use it as a food pusher or to sop up the juices. My neighbor across the road, made tortillas every single day. Come four o'clock you would see her sitting outside making a pile of them.Then she would take them inside and toast and warm them over an open flame on the stove. If they were having a BBQ, she had a home made built oven and grill that she would do them there. I never mastered the art of slapping the tortillas back and forth in my hands. I gave her a lot of laughs trying.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #74
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Not odd to me Greg, actually I thought everyone did that.

I don't use a high flame though, I use the lowest possible flame. I keep them moving every few seconds till they look the way I like them.......slightly toasted and pliable with a few chard spots. I must have buttered flour tortillas like this with my chili.
Maybe I'm just odd then. I never heard of anybody else doing that (heating tortillas over an open flame burner). I can't even remember how I started doing that since it was decades ago at least. Maybe I'm impatient. I use a high flame and just flip it quickly several times. I prefer if there's a bit of scorching involved.

I wouldn't dream of serving chili without tortillas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I lived in Texas, the Mexicans used the flour tortillas as their "bread."
Here in California too. Tortillas are pretty much served with all Mexican food and we've got plenty of Mexican food here.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Maybe I'm just odd then. I never heard of anybody else doing that (heating tortillas over an open flame burner). I can't even remember how I started doing that since it was decades ago at least. Maybe I'm impatient. I use a high flame and just flip it quickly several times. I prefer if there's a bit of scorching involved.

I wouldn't dream of serving chili without tortillas.

Here in California too. Tortillas are pretty much served with all Mexican food and we've got plenty of Mexican food here.
Actually my mom always did flour tortillas on the open flame of the stove top and my mother would be 110 years old now. As you know, it's really a wonderful way to prepare them and for people who think the best way to heat them is in the microwave, they're wrong.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Thanks Kayelle. In fact steaming (I presume microwave is some version of that) is distinctly different than open flame. An open flame caramelizes patches on my flour tortillas. No amount of microwave or steaming will accomplish that. It's also a bit labor intensive since it would be quite an effort to keep a party of 6 in hot tortillas this way. Perhaps you could heat them over the flame then wrap in aluminum foil to keep at serving temperature in a warm oven.

Flame toasted tortillas are perhaps analogous in some respects to toast as opposed to warm bread. Not that warm bread isn't good (particularly just out of the oven) and not that fresh tortillas aren't good too.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #77
Senior Cook

I like to serve my chilli in different ways depending on the mood:-

On a plain bed of rice (go to fancy with the rice and it detracts from the flavour of the chilli imo)

With a nice crusty garlic bread and cheese to mop up the lovely sauce.

Or, my favorite - serve the chiili in large shallow bowl covered with layers and layers of nachos and covered with melted cheese and finely chopped peppers, tomatoes and olives...................LUSH:) This way you can forget cutlery and scoop up the chilli on the nachos:)

I love the sound of all your ideas and making me feel hungry now and looks like chilli is on the menu this weekend seeing as it's so cold outside!!
Old 02-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #78
Assistant Cook

We serve ours with cornbread. A match made in heaven.
Galatians 2:20
wilkette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #79
Master Chef

Last night, I grilled 9 hamburgers over charcoal. The chili was already made but meatless. I broke up 3 of the burgers and added them to the chili. The chili was on the hot side, as I had chopped 5 frozen cayene peppers into it from last year's garden. It also had 3 kinds of beans, diced tomato, garlic, sliced onion, chili powder, cummin, and corriander.

Our guests weren't expecting a medium hot chili, which to them was a little hotter than medium hot. They weren't from Michigan and one of them stated that "Michiganders don't know how to make hot chili." Teh chili was an eye opener for him. He needed a large glass of milk.

Sides included my juicy, KFC style cole slaw, chicken egg rolls with pineapple sweet & sour sauce, and grilled burgers (over charcoal of course, and with home made buns and all the condiments).

My guests walkes away saying that they were full and that everything was great. They loved the food and said it was gourmet fair (their words not mine (is there a smilie for big head?)).

My point is, you can serve just about anything with chili. In my case, the chili was the appertizer for the other foods, Each food was served to showcase a particular food type for my gurests. They loved the meal.

Chili rules!

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #80
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkette View Post
We serve ours with cornbread. A match made in heaven.
Same here :) I love a good cornbread with chili :) Although I like some of the other ideas (tortillas) too.

Tags
None