"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 02-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #81
Executive Chef

I too think serving chili over plain white rice is a good one. As Jonny said, a more complicated rice would detract from the chili.

If I served chili over rice I'd want to have chunk style chili, not ground meat chili.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Every so often I will buy freshly made (daily) corn tortllas, make a reasonably mild thick chili, wrap the tortilla around a hot dog and top with the meatless chili. Better than having it with a bun. I use to be able to eat hot foods. Loved hot Italian sausages where there was more red flakes than meat. Not anymore. Every Sunday night, my second husband and I would settle down with a big panful of hot sausages that had been baked with hot cherry peppers and watch "Mission Impossible." By the end of the show, the pan was empty.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #83
Executive Chef

More and more I'm finding these cumin flat breads Karen makes to be great with many a main dish. Chili just being one.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #84
Head Chef

Did anyone mention that some folks put it on spaghetti noodles? They also may add cheese, onions and well, other stuff. If you google Skyline chili I think you will be able to see what I mean.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #85
Executive Chef

Add onions? Chopped onions over chili????? Man, I thought that was required!!! Cheese is popular too.

I'll pass on the spaghetti. I'm from the US Southwest. Spaghetti is from Italy. However, what about spaghetti Westerns? Italy and the Southwest sure went together well there, thanks to Sergio Leone. That right there makes me wonder if I should try chili over spaghetti.

Maybe even with cheese... But definitely with onions!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #86
Head Chef

When I'm on a chili "kick" it seems to be an all day affair. I like to make chili , not chili con carne ( with beans added to the chili ). The beans ( pinto , kidney or red ) are always served on the side, as is chopped onion, shredded cheese, jalapeño cheese bread and tortillas. Its cooked in a large ( 9 qt cast iron dutch oven ) started on the stove top. Then, when all ingredients are to my taste, it goes into a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. There are only 2 people in my house, so it goes a long way. Everyone knows "its always better" the next day as the flavors blend. Thats when chili dogs are served! It freezes well. If Cincinnati chili is in order, I add red gravy to the chili and ladle it over spaghetti. Or just add canned tomato's to it. I don't go by any particular recipe. I mix my own spices and just start with the basics, bacon, onions, chili's, tomato's, garlic, etc. As for the meat, if I'm not in a rush, I'll use whole beef, pork, wild game (elk, deer , buffalo etc.) cut into 1/4 inch cubes. For quick chili, it's ground beef.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #87
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
When I'm on a chili "kick" it seems to be an all day affair. I like to make chili , not chili con carne ( with beans added to the chili ).
Not to be difficult, but con carne litterally translates to - with meat.

Con queso - with cheese

Carne Asada - meat, roasted, dressed, grilled

con - with

carne - meat

So, chile con carne means chili with meat.

Just so's you knows.

Your chili sounds grand.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Not to be difficult, but con carne litterally translates to - with meat.

Con queso - with cheese

Carne Asada - meat, roasted, dressed, grilled

con - with

carne - meat

So, chile con carne means chili with meat.

Just so's you knows.

Your chili sounds grand.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I love this site. I get an educaiton in foreign languages. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #89
Head Chef

Chili con carne :highly seasoned dish of beef , chillies or chili powder with beans and tomato's.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #90
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Chili con carne :highly seasoned dish of beef , chillies or chili powder with beans and tomato's.
All I can say is, talk to someone who speaks hispanic, or look up the individual words in a Mexican dictionary. The word chili refers to the peppers, con litterally means "with", and carne means "meat". Chilli con carne means chilli with meat. Though the dish often contains beans, onions, other seasonings, celery, and tomatoes, it doesn't need those items. It does have to have chili peppers, and meat.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None