"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Master Chef

Wish me luck

It's that time of year again, the Sault Ste. Marie chapter of the United Way Annual Chili Cookoff.

I've never won anything, but have been told by many in the crowd that I had the best in the place. Typically, the winner is someone like Girl Scouts, or Fire Station, or Boys and Girls Club. The winning recipe is always very soupy and bland. I don't stand a chance. But, I have have repeat tasters who have traveled from as far away as Grand Rapids Michigan (about a 4 hour drive) who came up because he wanted to again have more of my chili (he'd had some the year before). I also had a judge who had participated in big chili events in the SW U.S. tell me that my chili was the best in the place and that the judges in my little town are all crazy people who know nothing about chili.

What I love about participating in this event is that the crowd loves my chili and they keep coming back for 2nds and third helpings. I always make 6 gallons compared to most competitors 3 gallons (the minimum required amount) and have none left over. Many of the others can't say the same. That builds my ego, and yes I admit, it feels good to have one's ego stroked every now and again. It also gives me the chance to try new techniques and flavors, which I do every year. It's a blast watching people go nuts over your preperation. This year, there were no green tomatoes availabel for the white chili, so I'm going to have to be creative. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll be making my mother's recipe of red (which I've never done before, actually, my youngest sister is making that batch), while I make the white chili, 3 gallons of each. I'll be cooking tonight and serving it up tomorrow. If anyone is in the Eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan who sees this post, the cookoff starts at 4 p.m. tomorrow, the 11th, in Sault Ste. Marie, at the Pular Stadium. It would be such a hoot to meet someone from DC there. But I know that the chances are very slim. If anyone does amke it, I'll be the Farmer's Market team. In any case, I'll be having a whale of a good time tomorrow. Besides, I took a vacation day to do this, which means I won't be at work. It's gonna be a very good day.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Cook

DOn't worry about being winner, just do your best!! Good luck and have fun ^^

Old 08-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Cook

Go get 'em, Goodweed!!!!

And, HA!!! Finally, someone who thinks the way I do about chili. I have an award-winning (1 small award) green chili recipe, and I love it!
My folks are the ones who make and take my recipe to places where there are chili cook-offs. Either everything there is so screaming hot that it's practically inedible, or completely bland. Only a few people even know what green chili is, and they are usually the ones who appreciate a good red chili with flavor, not just atomic peppers in the pot.
So, here's my 2 cents: Even if you don't win this year, it's prolly because it's The Girl Scouts, or the Fire Department. Sounds like a "charity win" to me..... (sorry)
Maybe this is a good time to branch out, and attend a contest somewhere else? Go rack up some ribbons and trophies, and hang them on next year's booth!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Good luck GW. If they judged based on passion then there would be no way you could lose.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Head Chef

Luck!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

To your DC friends, you are already a WINNER..
Best of luck
kadesma
Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Best of Luck to ya'!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Yo GW ---- This is your year!!! Take um to da cleaners!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Mr. Greenjeans

Good Luck!!! I started looking for contests myself this year. I found one but it interferes with one of my band's shows so no luck there.

TAKE PICTURES!!!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Executive Chef

wishing you luck! and lots of chili thoughts

Tags
None