Any Prosciutto Lovers Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
I love Prosciutto and one of my favorite munchies/appetizers is Prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe. Any melon works good, but cantaloupe is my absolute fave.

However, I'm wondering about other ways to eat Prosciutto besides wrapped around melon or cheese sticks.

How do you eat/serve yours? Recipes/pics appreciated, if you have them.

I’m also a prosciutto lover. I like it as part of a plate with cheeses, olives, pickles and other dried/cured meats.

It’s also part of a baked stuffed shrimp recipe I make.

I’ve used it to stuff chicken breasts and pork chops as well.

Oh yes....love it! My last night at my daughter and SIL's before I came home a few days ago was a great platter of prosciutto, warmed brie, sliced apple wedges (didn't have melon on hand), Milton's crackers, salami, olives, several other cheeses and salami, can't even remember what else. But it was a fabulous and very enjoyable dinner. :yum:

When I was in Italy, I went to a little sidewalk cafe for lunch, and they served prosciutto very simply on some crusty bread, with a little olive oil, and grilled panini style. I loved it. Just some really good cured meat and some good crusty bread. That and a cold beer made a nice, simple lunch.

CD

I :heart: prociutto! I've wrapped a slice around a fresh fig, cut an x-mark in the point of the fig, and stuffed said fig with a bit of goat cheese. Bake in moderate oven for about 8 minutes. ~ I tear it up and put use it as one of the toppings in homemade pizza. ~ I cut it into fat julienne slices, frizzle just a bit in a hot fry pan, and put it on top of salad. ~ It's good wrapped around a blanched asparagus spear, with a tiny bit of lemon zest grated onto the prociutto before you wrap the spear.

Grill some thin asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Wrap 3 pieces in prosciutto, dress with a light lemon juice vinaigrette.

Cook some sliced onions down with a rich fruity red wine. Place on bruschetta with some gorgonzola and prosciutto.

A panini with roasted red bell peppers, fresh moz and prosciutto.

Last edited:
Which do you like better, Prosciutto di Parma or Prosciutto di San Danielle? Saltimbocca is a great dish.

On the whole, Parma ham is considered very inferiore di to San Daniele -for the love of God don't use either fo cook with. Saltimbocca is a dish that requires
different a cured ham, when you cook the ham, so you would have to do your homework before even starting a saltimbocca!

di reston

I like in in a sub along with the other meats, cheese, lettuce, tomato, olive oil, vinegar and spices on a nice crusty long loaf of bread preferably with sesame seeds on top. UNCOOKED or HEATED!

Last place I worked, there was an Italian bakery nearby that sold prepared foods for lunches. My favorite sandwich was prosciutto and fresh mozzarella on a ciabatta roll with basil pesto.

Last place I worked, there was an Italian bakery nearby that sold prepared foods for lunches. My favorite sandwich was prosciutto and fresh mozzarella on a ciabatta roll with basil pesto.

I used to love prosciutto, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil leaves on Italian bread and dressing.

Last edited:
On the whole, Parma ham is considered very inferiore di to San Daniele -for the love of God don't use either fo cook with. Saltimbocca is a dish that requires
different a cured ham, when you cook the ham, so you would have to do your homework before even starting a saltimbocca!

di reston
Thanks, di. As you know, we Americans like to go our own way. We're not ones to be restricted by the rules of our ancestors ;)

Everything sounds so delicious.

Something different I found once in searching for sandwich ideas is a turkey club panini that calls for prosciutto, but crispy prosciutto. I was skeptical, but gave it a shot. It's actually quite tasty and lends wonderful flavor and crunch to the turkey club panini. You lay slices of prosciutto onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake the slices at 350 for about 15 minutes.

Again, I was skeptical. I was like "okay, this weird" at first, but I've done it that way a few more times since.

di reston

My selection of Italian cured ham in the suburbs of Dallas, Texas is not very big. Most stores here carry Boar's Head brand of prosciutto, which is an American brand -- but the company is known for high quality meats, so the prosciutto is pretty tasty. Not as good as what you can get in Italy, but pretty good.

CD

My selection of Italian cured ham in the suburbs of Dallas, Texas is not very big. Most stores here carry Boar's Head brand of prosciutto, which is an American brand -- but the company is known for high quality meats, so the prosciutto is pretty tasty. Not as good as what you can get in Italy, but pretty good.

CD

The stuff imported from Italy isn't the same as what you get in Italy. Our FDA requires it be cured longer than that usually done in Italy.:ermm:

Who doesn't love Prosciutto? Even though I do not eat it, I still love it back from the days when I used to eat.

My mother wouldn't eat prosciutto. She unwrapped it from the melon and ate the melon. Prosciutto was "too salty" even though you could almost see through it as it was cut so thin. We never bothered serving it again when she would be there.

Back
Top Bottom