"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Head Chef

Appetizers for kids

Anyone one have any good recipes for kid appetizers for 5-8 years old?
My newest one is i took slices of bread and rolled it thin and spread peanut butter and Jelly on it and rolled it up and chilled and then cut rolls into 4 pieces. Kids love them.
Looking for new ones;

Old 11-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Try the Pampered Chef's Cut-N-Seal which seals all your sandwiches, making them into pockets, while cutting out the crust. It's kid friendly. My son, the future chef, loves it!

Dina

Old 11-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
Head Chef

My stepson is 8 and sometimes he makes what we call Calvin's appetizer.

Take 1/2 of a dinner bun, put some sort of spread (we use laughing cow) and top with a some field greens and one slice of tomato. It's easy and healthy. He also likes to make cheese quesadilla.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

a favorite of mine, along the lines of what you suggested, is norwegian pancakes, aka filled crepes.

after making a stack of simple crepes, spread jams or jellies, nut butters, spreadable cheeses, whipped cream and sliced fruits, or even regular butter and sugar, roll them up and slice.

don't forget pigs in a blanket. buy pre-made pastry dough, bring it to room temp or so, roll it out, cut into strips and roll around hot dogs that have been cut into thirds, and bake.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I bet you could make pigs in a blanket with those Pillsbury bread sticks - Flatten them and wrap around a hot dot or sausage of some type. I think we used to use crescent rolls - haven't made them in a blue moon.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
My daughter and her friends literally beg for pickle rolls. Take a piece of ham, (the rectangular stuff works best, albeit mashed and pressed that way- refer to processed food poll ) and lightly dry off with a paper towel. Take a whole pickle, dry it off too, and squeeze any excess juice out of it. Spread cream cheese (whipped stuff works well) on ham, and roll up pickle, pressing the pickle into the cream cheese so it sticks. You will get the hang of it after a few... and I would NOT recommend letting the kids try it hehehe. Let the "roll" chill for an hour or so, and poke toothpicks in every inch or so, and slice between the toothpicks.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Head Chef

Yes, my nephew LOVED Pigs in a Blanket when he was little. Still does. In fact, we all do!

Just take Pillsbury Crescent rolls, cut each triangle in three strips, and roll each strip around a L'il Smoky weiner or cut-up regular hot dogs. Bake until golden brown.

Are you looking more for an after-school snack before dinner for your kids? Or more for something kids would enjoy along with adults before a special meal? Kids like lots of stuff that adults do, so if it's the latter, I'd wouldn't offer them anything different, unless you are a huge fan of,say, liver and salty fish appetizers. :-)

Lee
Old 11-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

When my daughter was a kid, her favorite was "Ants on a Log," which was not only good but something she could make herself. It was just celery filled with peanut butter, then sprinkled with raisins.

Barbara
Old 11-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Not too long ago a friend posted a 25 plus page list of Disney's appetizers for kids on another cooking forum. I will gather that list and begin posting some recipes for you here. What are your kids' favorite foods? I will look them up if I can get a bit of info about what they like to eat.

My kid's favorites are mini corndogs, baked potato skins, and quesadillas (flour or corn tortillas with melted cheeses). Fresh fruit salads and green salads with hard boiled eggs are also some favorites. Let me know if you want me to post the recipes for any of these.

Dina
Old 11-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #10
Head Chef

I have grandchildren 6 and 2 and one daughter still my " kid" at 26 Youngest one eats anything Oldest picky - Daughter just about anything. Finding myself back to entertaining for chindren B day partys and I think the adults like the kid food to.
thanks for all your ideas

Tags
None