Appetizers for the Holiday Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooooo, Swedish Meatballs!

My Aunr use to make some sort of grape jelly deal with Lil Smokies... RECIPES ANYONE?

I make these for potlucks in the CP. Cocktail meatballs are good with it too, you can even do a mix of Lil Smokies and meatballs. They always go fast.

1 or 2 bottles Heinz Chili Sauce, and 15 oz or more of Welchs Grape Jelly. Stir, and add in your meat. Cook on low until warmed through. You can also do them on the stovetop.

Last edited:
We have an open house every Christmas Eve. We've done that since I was a little kid in the 60's. So that's what we do today, and on Christmas Day we all go to see a movie. This year I've got 6 seats reserved for Cinebistro to see the new Star Wars.... but back to Xmas Eve....

Many of these items are things the kids insist wouldn't be Christmas if they weren't on table... so please bear that in mind...

Apps:
Tiropita (with my homemade feta and they came out great when I did a Thanksgiving test batch)
Spin/Artichoke Dip
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Devilled Eggs
Hummus/Pita
Sweet 'n Sour Kielbasa

Salad Station:
Boston Baked Beans
Potato Salad
Macaroni Salad
Greek Salad

Carving Station:
Spiral Glazed Ham
Turkey
Roast Beef
Rolls / Condiments /Sauces

Pasta Station:
Penne
Alfredo
Marinara
Olive Oil
A gazillion fresh veggies and toppings.
Sauteed to Order

Desserts:
I bake a million cookies
Fudge
Biscotti
Cupcakes
Pies
Cakes
Pumpkin and other breads

And that's how we do Christmas.

I make these for potlucks in the CP. Cocktail meatballs are good with it too, you can even do a mix of Lil Smokies and meatballs. They always go fast.

1 or 2 bottles Heinz Chili Sauce, and 15 oz or more of Welchs Grape Jelly. Stir, and add in your meat. Cook on low until warmed through. You can also do them on the stovetop.

My mother the great cook of Winooski, VT made hers with equal parts ketchup and Jelly. Believe it or not it was pretty good.

My mother the great cook of Winooski, VT made hers with equal parts ketchup and Jelly. Believe it or not it was pretty good.

I believe it. I think the condiments bottled during the 20th century have gotten a bad rap. I like mayonnaise, yellow mustard and ketchup. Imagine having to make them from scratch whenever you wanted some!

...1 or 2 bottles Heinz Chili Sauce, and 15 oz or more of Welchs Grape Jelly. Stir, and add in your meat. Cook on low until warmed through. You can also do them on the stovetop.

My mother the great cook of Winooski, VT made hers with equal parts ketchup and Jelly...

Version Three here: Combine 3/4 cup prepared mustard (I used Plochman's) and one 10-oz jar of currant jelly in a saucepan and heat until blended. Add a package of little franks (or a pound of hot dogs sliced into bite-size pieces).

Options! So Many Options! :wacko:

Since every family member, including both grand daughters, like most seafood, I would base appetizers on it.

conch fritters
steamed shrimp
stone crab claws
lobster chunks (local)
crab dip (blue or dungeness)
oysters (raw and grilled)

Various sauces to go with, such as
roasted garlic tartar
cocktail
mustard
remoulade

Also some softened cream cheese with my brother's pepper jelly and crackers.

A must try appetizer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXWtRQzgyaE

Spinach Artichoke Dip Stuffed Garlic Bread
Recipe:

INGREDIENTS

1 baguette
½ tablespoon oil
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 (10 oz) bag baby spinach leaves
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3 green onions, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
Parmesan cheese, grated, to top
Fresh basil leaves or parsley, torn, to top

Mix cream cheese, mozzarella, spinach, artichoke hearts, and garlic powder in a bowl.
Cut baguette into thirds or fourths, and hollow out the insides using a knife.
Stuff the hollow baguette pieces with the spinach artichoke dip, using a spoon to press down.
Slice filled baguette into 1-inch rounds and reassemble on a baking sheet lined with foil.
Melt butter and mix with minced garlic and parsley.
Brush the garlic butter generously over the baguette rounds, letting it drip through the slices.
Cover with the foil and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes
Cool for 10 minutes, then try not to eat the whole thing.

... and then I found this one too, not sure if I would serve this as an appie or a light lunch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9eQS74wqQY

Bangers and Mash Sausage Rolls

RECIPE:

Sausages
Mashed Potatoes /cold
Puff Pastry /thawed
Egg
Side of Onion Gravy - Optional

Brown the Sausages on all sides in a large skillet - until mostly cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly. Unroll each sheet of puff pastry and cut into 4 pieces. Spread mash over each pastry, top with cooked sausage and additional mash. Roll up each sheet - pinch together to seal and trim off any excess. Place on a greased baking sheet - seam side down - and brush each roll with beaten egg.

Bake in a preheated oven at 190˚C / 375˚F for 25-30 minutes - until the pastry is golden and crispy on all sides and the meat has cooked through. Serve with a side of Onion Gravy. Enjoy!

img_1447356_0_333a94b568c67dc552a34f77ea7b14ed.jpg

msmofet, do those have Parmesan cheese mixed into the cream cheese? Your photo reminded me of a cheese ball I used to make decades ago that was really good. Off the top of my head, it was Parma cheese and chopped, stuffed green olives mixed with the cream cheese (maybe other things too? Don't remember..). After you formed the cheese mixture into a ball, it was rolled in finely chopped nuts - walnut, I think. I loved that combination so much.

Sorry to be so store bought, but a major chain store supermarket stocks a simple crab-cheese dip that's kind of pinkish orange in color. My brother always buys some and serves it at his x-mas party. It's delicious. I forget what kind of cracker he serves it on.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to concoct such an appetizer as that on my own, should they no longer stock it. I'd have to start with fresh or artificial crab meat (as a convenience).

Last edited:
If I can make it to Costco tomorrow after I get another ultrasound of my knee in the morning, I will be making a family favourite, Cheese straws. It is basically just a pastry with old cheddar in it and a little cayenne to give it a "bite". They are tedious to make but well worth it.

I will be sending them with TB for his work part on Thursday and giving some to Kay for the kids. I will also be packing them up for presents for our two pastors and some close friends.

I can post the recipe if anyone is interested. It is not a family secret because my Mom had it published in a Ladies' Auxiliary cookbook in the 50's! :)

If I can make it to Costco tomorrow after I get another ultrasound of my knee in the morning, I will be making a family favourite, Cheese straws. It is basically just a pastry with old cheddar in it and a little cayenne to give it a "bite". They are tedious to make but well worth it.

I will be sending them with TB for his work part on Thursday and giving some to Kay for the kids. I will also be packing them up for presents for our two pastors and some close friends.

I can post the recipe if anyone is interested. It is not a family secret because my Mom had it published in a Ladies' Auxiliary cookbook in the 50's! :)

Those are wonderful, we used to make them in rolls, similar to icebox cookies, so you could refrigerate them and slice a roll to bake as needed.

Try lightly dusting a few with powdered sugar, the combination of cheese, cayenne and a little sweet is fantastic! :yum:

Those are wonderful, we used to make them in rolls, similar to icebox cookies, so you could refrigerate them and slice a roll to bake as needed.

Try lightly dusting a few with powdered sugar, the combination of cheese, cayenne and a little sweet is fantastic! :yum:
I really like the idea of making them in rolls and slicing them. Cutting them into straws can be really time consuming when you are making several batches.

I think I will pass on the sugar idea though - one of the reasons I am making them is I am trying to stay away from too much sugar. I am sure it is great though!:)

Back
Top Bottom