Appetizers for the Holiday Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
msmofet, do those have Parmesan cheese mixed into the cream cheese? Your photo reminded me of a cheese ball I used to make decades ago that was really good. Off the top of my head, it was Parma cheese and chopped, stuffed green olives mixed with the cream cheese (maybe other things too? Don't remember..). After you formed the cheese mixture into a ball, it was rolled in finely chopped nuts - walnut, I think. I loved that combination so much.
No Parmesan cheese. just mold cream cheese around large green stuffed olives then roll in chopped walnuts. Chill till firm and slice in half.

If I can make it to Costco tomorrow after I get another ultrasound of my knee in the morning, I will be making a family favourite, Cheese straws. It is basically just a pastry with old cheddar in it and a little cayenne to give it a "bite". They are tedious to make but well worth it.

I will be sending them with TB for his work part on Thursday and giving some to Kay for the kids. I will also be packing them up for presents for our two pastors and some close friends.

I can post the recipe if anyone is interested. It is not a family secret because my Mom had it published in a Ladies' Auxiliary cookbook in the 50's! :)
Sound great! I'd love the recipe also LP.

Sorry to be so store bought, but a major chain store supermarket stocks a simple crab-cheese dip that's kind of pinkish orange in color. My brother always buys some and serves it at his x-mas party. It's delicious. I forget what kind of cracker he serves it on.

I wouldn't even begin to know how to concoct such an appetizer as that on my own, should they no longer stock it. I'd have to start with fresh or artificial crab meat (as a convenience).

Nothing wrong with store bought, Caslon! I've had some really good pre-made dips and goodies from the markets. :yum:

1512p90-spinach-artichoke-bites.jpg
[photo from Cooking Light December 2015 Issue]
Spinach-Artichoke Bites - Healthy Holiday Appetizers and Drinks Recipes - Cooking Light
We were invited to a New Year's Eve Cocktail party of 100+ folks.
I LOVE Spinach-Artichoke dip, this would fit that bill perfectly!

... BUMP!

This thread was brought up in another and I re-read the whole thing,
and yet again, I'm looking for some fresh eyes to add to this thread.

I'll definitely be making this again!

009.JPG

010.JPG

Very simple:
Small squares of Pillsbury Crescent rolls as the crust
in mini muffins tins, filled with Spinach Artichoke dip,
top with cheese,
bake, serve, GONE!

Funny story:
The New Year's Eve Party we attended that I took
these as my offering... We didn't know many people at this
party, so I thought, okay, I'll walk around the home (it was next door to us) with my platter of goodies and serve folks a nibble.
TWICE in the course of the evening, I was assumed to be the cocktail waitress and would I "be a dear and get another XYZ drink" for them :LOL:
On top of that, several guests thought that I was the Caterer and could I do their next party :ermm::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Bread Cups and Baked Brie

Years ago, I made little bread cups; plain bread cut into rounds, then molded into cups in a muffin pan and toasted in the oven. I filled them with some kind of seafood salad, crab maybe (not krab. NEVER krab!) I seasoned the bread with olive oil and Cajun seasoning. Not really very innovative, but they disappeared very quickly!

I put up a lot of pepper jelly this summer, so for MIL’s Christmas feast, I may do a Brie wrapped in (gluten-free) puff pastry, baked, and topped with some of my pepper jelly. It’s delicious (I know, food writers are supposed to avoid that word like the plague, but it’s true!)and attractive!

Pretzel sticks and beer/cheese dip

Need I say more? Since I’m obsessed with my bread maker this year (last year it was canning, and the year before, sous vide), but am really bad at forming pretzels, I thought I’d make little pretzel sticks with a cheese and beer hot dip. Don’t know what I’ll make for everyone else!:ermm:

Back home this would be very standard fare as an hor d'oeuver
or PUPU ...

Limu Ahi Poke.jpg
[file photo]
Limu (Seaweed) Ahi (Tuna) Poke
aka Raw Tuna Salad, MMM!
(I saw somewhere Poke spelled Poké ... ummm, its a Hawaiian word :cool:)

Gotta find the freshest Ahi possible for this one though,
which can be a challenge here in the middle of the desert ;)
The Seaweed I get in a pre-packaged seasoning mix
Hawaiian Poke Mix (0.4 oz) - Noh Foods of Hawaii
I keep several of these on hand for other seafood salads as well.

This type of Seaweed, Ogo, has a nice crunchy-salty-briny taste,
complimenting the fish beautifully... add some slice Green onions, a pair of chopsticks, maybe some hot rice and Kimo's your uncle! :LOL:

I'm not sure if our new neighbors would be fans of this one ...

Last edited:
Back home this would be very standard fare as an hor d'oeuver
or PUPU ...

View attachment 28555
[file photo]
Limu (Seaweed) Ahi (Tuna) Poke
aka Raw Tuna Salad, MMM!
(I saw somewhere Poke spelled Poké ... ummm, its a Hawaiian word :cool:)

Gotta find the freshest Ahi possible for this one though,
which can be a challenge here in the middle of the desert ;)
The Seaweed I get in a pre-packaged seasoning mix
Hawaiian Poke Mix (0.4 oz) - Noh Foods of Hawaii
I keep several of these on hand for other seafood salads as well.

This type of Seaweed, Ogo, has a nice crunchy-salty-briny taste,
complimenting the fish beautifully... add some slice Green onions, a pair of chopsticks, maybe some hot rice and Kimo's your uncle! :LOL:

I'm not sure if our new neighbors would be fans of this one ...
I love poke! There’s a local place that makes the bowl exactly as you like it, and they deliver (through Yelp’s delivery service). Alas, my MIL would probably not be pleased at the prospect of raw anything, let alone fish. She thinks shrimp cocktail is exotic!

Kgirl Just picked up a book my Mom (or maybe my Dad) brought back from Hawaii - "The Limu Eater" from 1978 a Sea Grant Miscellaneous Report from the U of H.

That was about the time she went there, so it must have just come out in print. To the best of my knowledge she hadn't gone back again.

Haven't really gotten into it - - but there are recipes for different types of 'limu', how it was collect and and all sorts of history.

Kgirl Just picked up a book my Mom (or maybe my Dad) brought back from Hawaii - "The Limu Eater" from 1978 a Sea Grant Miscellaneous Report from the U of H.

That was about the time she went there, so it must have just come out in print. To the best of my knowledge she hadn't gone back again.

Haven't really gotten into it - - but there are recipes for different types of 'limu', how it was collect and and all sorts of history.

YUM :yum:
I really like seaweed.
My first boy friend's mother taught me how/what kind of Limu to collect and different ways to use it.
That should be an interesting read dragn

*BUMP*

Spring is in the air and now a lot of us are in a position where
we can now actually socialize :clap:

We've been going next door for afternoon Card Games and this
weekend is no different.

IMG_0480.jpg

I tried this recipe:
https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/bacon-wrapped-smokies

This makes A LOT!
So I took my own suggestion and cook off a few for DH to sample.
:yum:
I'm thinking of some dipping sauces to go along side

*BUMP* Again

I've been seeing a few ads in regards to the Football Season
coming up and what sorts of snacks to serve.

Today we've been invited next door for Game Day.
As I may have mentioned previously, my Neighborhood
Gal Pals like to get together for different kinds of games,
snacks, camaraderie and of course WINE!

I've been seeing Pinterest posts for Air Fryer Chickpeas
in all kinds of flavors.

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Meh.

IMG_0820.jpg

It's a good thing I've always got a back up plan :LOL:

Latest posts

Back