Are “ritzy” crackers impossible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I’m trying without success to make a reasonable facsimile of Ritz crackers. Buttery and flaky is what I’m going for. I followed a couple of recipes for “copycat” Ritz, but the end result is nothing like the iconic cracker.

I’m wondering if, instead of cutting the butter into the flour, should I laminate the dough? If that’ll get me a nice, flaky, crumbly cracker, I’ll try it! Alternately, I’m wondering if the dough isn’t hydrated enough. The last batch I made, though, was too, too wet. I had to add about another 1/4 cup of flour just to get the dough to come together.

The recipes I’ve attempted are all no-yeast, leavened with baking powder.

This is interesting because I've never even heard of anyone making their own crackers.

How did you get on with that? Do you have any pics?

Seems like a lot if work when the real thing is so cheap and tasty.

However, that being said, I'm interested in if you can make it work. So if it takes you months and months.... I'm fine with that.

That ad isn't for Ritz Crackers.
But, you are right that there is no butter in Ritz Crackers. From their website:
Ingredients: UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), SOYBEAN OIL, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, SALT, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SOY LECITHIN, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NATURAL FLAVOR.CONTAINS WHEAT, SOY

That ad isn't for Ritz Crackers.
But, you are right that there is no butter in Ritz Crackers. From their website:

I know the ad isn't for Ritz crackers. It's for Keebler Townhouse Crackers, which are the same thing, only oval instead of round!

Back
Top Bottom