Bacon Wrapped Sausages Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCook

Senior Cook
I have found that this appetizer is always a hit.

Bacon Wrapped Sausages

2 pkgs. bacon (I usually buy the cheapest bacon, it seems to wrap better around the sausages and brown better in the oven)
2 pkg. Little smokies
Light Brown sugar
Toothpicks

Preheat oven to 350. Cut bacon into thirds. Wrap each smokie in a piece of bacon, secure with a toothpick. Sprinkle with as much or as little light brown sugar as you like. Bake for about 30 minutes or until bacon crisps.

Last edited:
Nothing like fatty meat wrapped in more fatty meat, right? I remember growing up the men in my house would always eat porterhouse steaks wrapped in these huge super thick slices of bacon. No wonder my dad had a hard attack at age forty-seven. Those sound nice as hors d'oeuvres though, because you can just take a little one and taste something fatty like that in a controlled portion.

What are little smokies? Are they more of a frankfurt or a sausage? I am looking for easy finger food and these look great.

A traditional side dish for Christmas dinner in the UK is known as kilted sausages - 2 small chipolata sausages, 'kilted' by having a rasher of bacon wrapped round the middle.

BTW, our bacon is nearer to what the US terms Canadian bacon and chipolatas are thin, pork sausages.

Mrsmac,

The little smokies are small sausages. I find them where the bacon and regular sausage is in the store. They say on the package little smokies.

Jcook

We used to make them with hotdogs cut into thirds and wrapped with the bacon and lots of brown sugar. I've never seen so much grease in a pan in my life.

Everyone loves these and I agree with Banana Bread:
Those sound nice as hors d'oeuvres though, because you can just take a little one and taste something fatty like that in a controlled portion
....but sometimes I don't have the willpower.

mrsmac said:
What are little smokies? Are they more of a frankfurt or a sausage? I am looking for easy finger food and these look great.

Here's a photo, so you can judge what size they are:

prod_ls.jpg

These sound awesome!

I am definitely making them for my football party next Sunday. THanks for posting!

Alexa

Help

I have tried this recipe several times, but the sugar always comes out grainey. What am I doing wrong? I would really love to take these to a couple of parties I am attending next week.

Thanks for your help. :chef:

My sugar was always grainy too.

Once I make the mistake of serving the sausages in the pan they were baked in. omg, as they cooled that layer of trans fat solidified :sick: and it was so embarrassing. I took the weiners out... put them on a plate and heated them in the microwave.

I don't think I made them since that episode.

I am not real sure what the problem is, I am thinking maybe your cooking them too long. What I do is wrap them up, stick them with a toothpick, place them all on a baking cookie sheet and then sprinkle them with almost the whole bag of light brown sugar. I never use dark maybe that could be the problem if you do use dark. I place them on the middle rack in my oven on 350 for exactly 30 min. When I take them out there is alot of juice on the bottom of the pan. I transfer all of the bacon wraps to a new platter and they are perfect everytime and usually gone in about 30 minutes.

I hope this helps I not to sure what else the problem could be.

Sorry
Jcook

Another thing I noticed the other day when I made these for a party is that it only took 1 pkg bacon to 1 pkg of the sausages. But when I made them before I ran out of bacon so maybe it depends on the brand of bacon you buy. I do find that the cheapest bacon works best to wrap them in and it brown in the oven better.

Just thought that I would let you know.

JCook

If you want to drain the sausages as they cook, place a layer of bread on your pan and then place your sausages on top. I do this with meatloaf when I have no plans for drippings. You will be tempted to taste the bread after you remove the sausages then you will know the meaning of "throw it away"; oh how gross it is!

Our tradition for little smokies is to serve them warm on a platter. Have toothpicks beside the platter. People pick up the little smokie with toothpick and dip in a warm thick sauce made of bbq sauce with a tbsp or two of grape jam/jelly. (you can also use grape jam as a sauce for canned beets; they can be good.)

I made this recipe again. Once again the sugar on top of the lil smokies didn't carmalize. :(

I did get a suggestion from a lady I work with. She says she mixes her brown sugar with melted butter and pours it over the lil smokies before cooking. She also bastes them during the cooking process.

I have enough to make another batch. We shall see....

My daughter makes these a lot, and they're always delicious. I'll ask her how she does them.
I have my own way of preparing Little Smokies or hot dogs. I mix a small jar of mustard with a small jar of currant jelly (grape or apple will also work). Heat in a saucepan until jelly is melted in, add the little sausages and allow to simmer. I usually get the sauce ready, then pour it over the sausages in a crock-pot.
If using full-size hot dogs, slice them on the bias.

kiddeyhouse said:
I made this recipe again. Once again the sugar on top of the lil smokies didn't carmalize. :(

I did get a suggestion from a lady I work with. She says she mixes her brown sugar with melted butter and pours it over the lil smokies before cooking. She also bastes them during the cooking process.

I have enough to make another batch. We shall see....

I think the key ingredient was in the original recipe...really cheap thin bacon. Adding more fat probably will make the biggest mess ever. This recipe was meant to be cooked hot and quick. I think I originally saw it on the America BBQ show or was it outdoor cooking? (funkie grill guy on Saturday).

If you want to reduce the fat, how about bacon-wrapped pitted dates? They're pretty good. You can stuff the dates with cheese or nuts as well, though I like them just with bacon.

It was a hit!

I just wanted to say that I used the recipe as stated by the original poster and also used the tip by another poster who said to mix the brown sugar in melted butter and then drip it over the dogs...that combinations works! Although I did add a few more minutes to the baking than originally stated to get the bacon to be a little more crisp. :chef:

It was definitely a great, fast, simple, and cheap appetizer recipe!

Back
Top Bottom